Dell or HP or Asus or Sony or Acer

• montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys

can any one tell me which should be the best.

Dell or HP or Asus or Sony or Acer

My usage is daily office works maily. Some times photoshop using and some HD movie. No heavy games or heavy graphics works.
Battery backup must be strong.
OS any would work.

I am in india can anyone suggest me, which brand should i go for!

:)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

People's opinions will vary, there is no right answer here.

Personally for me when it comes to laptops, I have always been getting Dell laptops. When I build my own computers that aren't laptops, I usually get an ASUS motherboard, but more for the fact I am familiar with it and have never had problems. For the rest of the parts I vary a bit, I usually don't stick to one brand for a hard drive, and my video cards will vary from Nvidia or ATI depending on who is leading the pack at that time. I used to go AMD for the CPU for the longest time, but recently I switched to Intel and have been quite happy. I usually check out all sorts of reviews on specific products right before I purchase to make sure that people haven't had a ton of problems with that particular part.

I do the same with the laptops too. When you think you have certain product you want, look up reviews and see what people say about them. Type something like this in Google:

Quote:
Name of part complaints

and you can see exactly what people tend to complain about. Sometimes the complaints could be so bad that it would then be a deal breaker, other times the complaints are over something small that may not be important to you.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally think ASUS is better over anything else. I've had pretty bad experiences with HP products that I won't be buying any HP products. My friend has a Dell computer and it crashed on him every few months (he had to go to the store to get it fixed).

I got my ASUS computer (tower) a year ago, and since then, I didn't really have any problems with it. Once it was shutting down on me because it was overheating which made me concerned, but when I opened the case, it was blanketed with dust... dust would bring any computer to it's knees :P

But over all this time (1 year pretty much) that I had this computer I didn't have any viruses and I don't have an AV installed (like I said, there were a few scares, but no viruses), but that may be because all I did was play games that I bought, watched movies that I bought, and didn't download anything that I didn't trust and needed.

Like Bigwebmaster said, it's all based on opinions and they will vary from person to person based on the person's experience with the products so whichever brand you pick, make sure you do some research on it before you actually purchase it.

A little heads up for you here... your experience with your product would be directly related to how you use it and what you do with it. If you do a lot of downloading, or not really smart around computers, (prone to get viruses in other words) you probably would have a hard time using your product. But if you do the proper maintenance on your computer and use it wisely you would have a pretty good experience with it.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're looking for a laptop, I can't speak highly enough of Lenovo. I love my Thinkpad and won't be buying anything else for a while.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I've had pretty bad experiences with HP products that I won't be buying any HP products.

I have actually had bad experiences with HP as well, and always avoid them. I refused to buy any products from them anymore. The HP product that I had that stands out most to me that I had purchased was an HP 2000C printer:

Attachments:
hp2000c-printer.gif

HP 2000C Printer

At the time it was a top of the line printer that I had paid around $600 for. Not only did it end up having numerous problems, but I felt like they were trying to get me for as much money as possible. For instance, I don't print too often and the ink cartridges expiration dates didn't last long. Once you passed the expiration date the printer would give you a error message telling you that it cannot print because your ink is expired. Even though my ink cartridges were near full, it would refuse to print. I can appreciate a warning message telling me the consequences of using old ink, but in my opinion it wasn't old and it was nearly full. Ink cost alot and that was why I felt they were just trying to keep me buying their products often. In turn this made me never want to buy from them again when they try to force me to keep buying products from them. I felt like they were trying to take advantage of me and because of that I will never in my life by from HP again.

I did find a work around and I just had to keep resetting the clock on the HP printer which allowed me to print again, but I would suspect that there were people that didn't figure that out. I hope HP has changed since then, but I would not take any chances.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
If you're looking for a laptop, I can't speak highly enough of Lenovo. I love my Thinkpad and won't be buying anything else for a while.

I'm actually thinking about buying myself a laptop and have heard that Lenovo was a good one... I was going to buy an Asus laptop since I have great experience with my Asus tower, but since laptops are a bit different then towers (I think), I wouldn't be surprised if Asus laptops are ... different.

What model/series do you have and what do you like about it? I wanna do some research before I actually buy one.

I understand that this isn't my thread, but that might help the OP make the final decision.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Thinkpad T420S:
http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/lapto ... index.html

What do I like about it?
  • It's built like a tank. I carry it around a lot (sometimes in a case, sometimes not) between meetings and whatnot. It gets banged around a bit. But they're made for that.
  • It's pretty light (in weight), especially for the specs it boasts
  • It has the option to remove the optical drive (which I never use and replace it with an extra "slice" battery, which pretty much doubles your battery life to around 6-7 hours.
  • There are a bunch of handy hardware options available for it, such as a smart card reader (you probably won't need it, but I use it to work remotely on my company's network), a fingerprint reader, etc.
  • My particular model has most of it's ports (power, VGA, ethernet) in the back, rather than the sides, which is far better IMO
I could go on, but you're best off reading the specs for their different models and deciding what's important to you. Before my Thinkpad I was using an Asus Eee PC netbook for light use, but I needed something with 4 cores that was actually capable of running a compiler in a reasonable time, something which the i5 can do easily but the Atom in my netbook just couldn't.

A few downsides that I've noticed (but don't detract from the experience much): The trackpad drivers that ship with it are kind of terrible, but there's better ones that you can easily download. Also it ships with some Lenovo pre-installed bloatware, but if you're like me you'll buy it with the cheapest version of Windows then just wipe it with a better one :)

If you care a little bit less about raw computing power (it's a laptop, afterall), and more about lightweight, portability, and batter life, then you might want to look at the X-series:

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/lapto ... index.html

Hope this helps.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Had really good luck with Dell, both laptops and desktops. My brother currently works for them and recommends them to pretty much everybody. They don't really ask questions when you need something fixed, they just do it at no cost to you.

HP is a huge question mark right now. I've had good and bad luck with there products, seems like it matters who's running it at the time. HP is actively trying to sell off its hardware division, and has been turned down by most of the large hardware companies(Dell, Asus, Acer, etc) because of poor quality and high cost, so that should say something.

Asus I have had excellent luck with their desktops, but HORRID luck with their laptops. I would most definitely recommend them for desktops, but I can't say much of anything good about the laptops we've had from them.

I've only had one Acer and it was my Netbook. It worked fantastic, had it for about a year without any problems. Ended up selling it for same price I paid for it, so it held its value well. Far as other products from them I have no experience.

My dad and my brother have both had Sony laptops(dad currently has one) and they both loved them. Neither have had a problem with them. My brothers fiance currently has his old Sony and its still working perfect. I would recommend them for laptops as well.

No experience with Lenovo.

EDIT: Oh and I cannot say enough BAD things about Toshiba. Stay away. Don't let your laptop touch a Toshiba laptop or it might get a virus and explode.
  • Satwant
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bangalore

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey i use Samsung R418 Laptop. I spend daily hours on internet, playing games, watching movie on my laptop, mailing and web development work. I brought it in Jan 2010 last year and it still running without any problem. I used it for both window ( XP and 7) and linux( Ubuntu and Fedora). In jan 2010 it cost me around 29,500 INR.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

There was a topic in the hardware forum about faults that people had had with ACER laptops (hardware/acer-laptop-does-not-start-t76457.html). I contributed to the topic as well due to the amount of problems i had had with my ACER Laptop. I would strongly recommend against buying an ACER Laptop.

My brother bought one of the first models of Sony Vaio machines you could get and loved it. I remember looking at it and thinking it was a great machine as well. Since then he has bought another couple of Sony Vaio Laptops. It was on the basis that the Sony Vaio seemed quite reliable that i recommended to my younger sister that she should go for one of those when she was looking to buy a laptop a couple of years ago. Just a few weeks ago she was unable to turn the machine on due to hard drive faulting. The machine wasn't even two years old and she barely used it, so for the hard-drive to go (and most things unable to be transferred onto new hard-drive) so soon into it's life is a concern, and certainly something i'd suggest you check up on before you consider buying a Sony.

I've found most Towers tend to be quite good and regardless of what name you go for you'll likely get something much more reliable than any of the better laptops out there. You certainly get more value for money. I use a pretty cheap and basic Compaq Tower and in the near 3 years i've had it i have had no problems at all with it...that's despite the fact i use it for watching movies, playing the occasional Game now and then and listening to hours of music daily.

I really can't emphasise enough how much i suggest you avoid ACER.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

poly wrote:
EDIT: Oh and I cannot say enough BAD things about Toshiba. Stay away. Don't let your laptop touch a Toshiba laptop or it might get a virus and explode.

I couldn't agree more. My elderly mom bought one (basically to play farmville on FB) and all of a sudden her pw wouldn't work anymore. It wasn't until then that we learned all of the "Security features" such as if you forget your pw, you will end up buying a new mother board and hard drive, even shorting the binary didn't help and there is no way to access the partitioned sector to recover your data unless you work for CSI and have high tech equip to lift it. That security feature should be an option and not a requirement. Will never buy Toshiba again.

HP.. ok, I will be the odd ball out here, I love HP. Most everything is either going to go out after awhile or have a glitch from the factory, etc. Both my laptops & desktops, printers (and previous to Canon coming out with the digital equivilent of the Canon AE1 from years ago), I used HP cameras. Never had problems with any of them, except for the laptop. It did begin over heating within about 8 months for no reason. It was taken apart, no dust, etc. unless it was application overload because I do most of the time have CS5, PSP, PS, several note pads, & at least 3 different browsers running in the background to check web views I'm working on.

The Camera also did quit working after about 8 months and even though I didn't still have the receipt (due to divorce), since the model was still being manufactured, they sent me a new one with a pre paid mailer to send the old one back to them. To me, this type of support is as important as the functionality of the product. (I've also never had problems with HP printers, but LeXmark... well, don't even get me started.

What all of my computers get used for: Web & Graphics design (high resource applications) and for fun, MW. (I'm over lvl 1000 to give you an idea of how much fun.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ASUS is known for pretty decent reliability, but mostly gaming. They founded the republic of gamers and preload their mobos bios with profiles for overclocking if that gives you an idea.

For business, I'd recommend Lenovo. No personal experience, but everything I've read and heard about them has always been good.

whatever you do, dont go cheap. Acer, Compaq...DONT DO IT. Tried to tell my girlfriend that but she went for a compaq anyway because of the price. Battery died 34 hours after the warranty expired, no help from customer service. Constant overheating, crashing, etc. I may have "accidently" pushed it off the bed a couple weeks ago and broke it so I could buy her a new laptop :P

Honestly, this is the first time I've heard bad things about HP or Dell, but I do know dell is more marketed towards college and high schoolers - I imagine that means they work really well for a short period of time.

I've personally haven't touched gateway since I bought a computer loaded with WinME - was totally microsofts fault that I got BSOD's every 3 minutes, but gateway should have done better research on the OS before selling it on their systems.

Sony laptops, specifically the VAIO are supposed to be surprising good, fast, and long lasting, but in my opinion they're a bit overpriced.

As far as desktops go, I build my own - ends up cheaper, and I can have complete control over what goes in it.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, and I can't say enough great things about Alienware. I realize that they are designed primarily with gaming in mind and that the OP said that's not something he's in need of, but considering it does everything else too, I just wanted to point it out.

My son received one for Christmas a couple of years ago and we have NEVER had any problems with it at all. He did accidentally delete a driver or something and we called them and within minutes, (with our permission) they had accessed and corrected the problem remotely at no charge (all we had to do was insert the support cd) .

Came with Windows Vista, but it was also custom built for gaming and has a lot of bells and whistles that you probably wouldn't need (face & fingerprint recognition security feature, Power DVD blue ray optical, HD audio, etc..

It can be custom built without all of those things and for the money, I have to say that if you're looking for something that will last, these are built to endure. I would imagine that since he got it (Christmas 2008) it probably hasn't been turned off for more than an hour a day average.. battery back up has been put to the test several times during bad weather and road trips.

We've only had the one, but I've been impressed with it because the kid has used the heck out of it.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Indeed sherma. My brother is currently on a Alienware laptop. Absolutely loves it. Alienware is now owned by Dell FYI. I think I may make my next desktop an Alienware so I don't have to mess around with building it myself(I'm getting lazy).
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow. .so many views.. i think i will go with DEEL or ASUS ..

i wish i could assemble/configure laptop ... like we do our desktop ..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts