• Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bet some people look at this and wonder what you would classify the criteria into either being a web designer OR a web developer. Alot of people don't have no idea where the line is drawn and I'd be interested to see what people say about what that line is to begin with.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I consider myself more of a developer. I enjoy building medium-large scale applications. I hate design, but I've got an eye for design--or so I've been told.

PHP, for me, is a whole heck of a lot more fun than HTML. HTML seems limited and elementary, but as soon as you get into the programming aspect with a database in the backend things get interesting. Lately I've gotton into multimedia development with PHP. Fascinating, but I'm only scratching the surface.

So, in reply, I feel I'm more of a developer than a designer.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

A developer develops, and the designer designs. :)

But IMO developer is more "behind the scenes" and the designer is more about the interface.

I like doing both.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dabble in development and I want to learn more about it, but I really am all about design
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, just thought i would throw it in the air. i knew people would have different views, just wanted to hear some ;-)

for some people it is a very distinct line for others its not.

i come from a design background and moved into web, so im getting into some backend and some techy stuff. I think the role of a 'web designer' is to merge the two. but i tend to thing someone will be skilled in one more than the other.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the word designer. I dont know why really. Developer sounds awfully geeky and tech based :P

If I had more hours in the day I would definetly learn more PHP and other web focused stuff.

soooooo i go with designer, why? because most of the work I do involves designing advertising and marketing material :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Designers start perty projects, Devolopers make them work :D
I like fixing things so I guess that leans me in the devoloper direction.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:

Based on that def, I guess that puts me more in the developer category, too.

I think someone else gave a similar definition at OZZU but couldn't find it to post it. But your definition will do.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:

I love making perty things AND making them work :lol: . I wouldn't want to do one without the other, but maybe I'm just a control freak. :)

About the line, my thoughts are that graphical work is all design; then you move on to html & css, which I see as a large wibbley fuzzy bit :) in the middle where you are doing both at the same time; then maybe some javascript, which is sometimes very very slightly fuzzy, but much more development; then server-side which is all development.

And that is quite possibly the longest sentence known to man :oops:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:

And that is quite possibly the longest sentence known to man :oops:

Actually, I've always heard it said that Julius Caeser had the "longest" sentence:

http://www.his.com/~wigtil/bellgall.htm

Translated to English that should be:

Quote:
"All Gaul is divided into three parts, one of which the Belgae inhabit, the Aquitani another, those who in their own language are called Celts, in our Gaul's, the third. All these differ from each other in language, customs and laws. The river Garonne separates the Gaul's from the Aquitani; the Marne and the Seine separate them from the Belgae. Of all these, the Belgae are the bravest, because they are furthest from the civilization and refinement of [our] Province, and merchants least frequently resort to them, and import those things which tend to effeminate the mind; and they are the nearest to the Germans, who dwell beyond the Rhine, with whom they are continually waging war; for which reason the Helvetii also surpass the rest of the Gaul's in valor, as they contend with the Germans in almost daily battles, when they either repel them from their own territories, or themselves wage war on their frontiers.

One part of these, which it has been said that the Gaul's occupy, takes its beginning at the river Rhone; it is bounded by the river Garonne, the ocean, and the territories of the Belgae; it borders, too, on the side of the Sequani and the Helvetii, upon the river Rhine, and stretches toward the north. The Belgae rises from the extreme frontier of Gaul extend to the lower part of the river Rhine; and look toward the north and the rising sun. Aquitania extends from the river Garonne to the Pyrenaean mountains and to that part of the ocean which is near Spain: it looks between the setting of the sun, and the North Star."

From what I remember though, when I remember translating the original Latin 27 some odd years ago, all that punctuation wasn't there in the original Latin like it is in that link.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You remind me so much of my old IT teacher atno, just with a lot less hair :lol:

BTW is't it like 4am in pittsburg?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh crap - I was working on other stuff -- I have to be to work in 4 hours! Ouch....

//guess it's going to be a short night *hurries off to bed.

Buenas Noches
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

*points and laughs at atno
:lol:
I know how you feel, I've been at work for an hour now on three hours sleep, my head hurts! Go to bed man!
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say I am more to developing rather than design.. :D
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
I dont know why really. Developer sounds awfully geeky and tech based :P

AND PROUD OF IT! :mrgreen:

Axe <-- Awfully geeky & tech based ;)
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha,

funny thing is before my education i had the choice of programmer as i was interested in games n stuff back then, or a designer as i also like graphics and drawing. i went with design ;-)

and now im kinda merging the two, getting into html, javascript, actionscript etc. funny how things work out. the internet playing a big part i think ;-)

another question is do you think it is possible to become the best in both feilds??? as i try to strive to be the best at what i do, i could see myself becoming a great designer but cant really see my self becoming a great designer and a great programmer.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

They're very separate worlds. I've given up being the best in design and am pursuing the heck out of development. But even then you've got to pick and choose.
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

so what are the barriers holding someone back from this? mental, physical??
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Probably a little bit of both. I think it's possible to be extremely talented at both, but I've found it better to specialize in one or the other rather than spread oneself too thin.

I personally chose development. Pays a heck of a lot better than design any day of the week! :P
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say I am a developer and a designer, since I do both. However, I am more of a developer compared to a designer since I spend much of my time making things work. I am much more skilled at developing the behind the scenes functionality as compared to the the actual design people see. I would say as a designer I can do professional jobs, but I am much slower because I try to get every detail perfect.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm exactly the same as BWM. I have a lot of talent at programming, coding and problem solving, but I would say only average design skills. But being a perfectionist I can fiddle for days with a design, just tweaking it here and there until I'm happy - I think a skilled designer would be able to see the

Quote:
another question is do you think it is possible to become the best in both feilds??? as i try to strive to be the best at what i do, i could see myself becoming a great designer but cant really see my self becoming a great designer and a great programmer.

Possibly. The two fields are two different talents, one more to the intellectual side, one to the artistic. Both need imagination and flair. It would be possibe to have a lot of talent in both but I think this would be rare.

I'm sticking to nostly programming, and a bit of static graphical work. Once I feel I know enough, then I will be moving onto multimedia/flash. But to me that is a secondary concern.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Developing is something you can learn to be good at. Designing is something you've either got, or you don't. If you don't, you won't. If you do, it's just a case of learning how to use the software (Photoshop, GIMP, etc.)

I like doing graphical work, but I enjoy developing much more. I like to create things that people can interact with, rather than just something to look at.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would probably call myself a designer....
but
then, i design what i want, then i make it work....
lol

i would prefer to design, but i always end up developing as well.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

DESIGNOPER!! :D
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahaha... designoper

i would say that i am a developesigner ;-)

i think design and development both require technical and creative skills, anyone can become an expert technically but it think where people have trouble is on the creative side. to break it doewn further you can have technical designers and creative designers and like wise with programmers.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

developer... i could car less how stuff looks, as long as it works and is easy to use etc... hence i get someone else to do the layouts, and i do all the other coding... :p
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm with you calendae. When I need superior-quality design done, I dish out the money to a professional. When people need an application build, they come to me. I'd rather just focus on what I'm good at and share the wealth with those who are better at design than I am.
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

interesting. so far it seems it is more developer orientated.
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im a developing designer who's always designing to accomodate my development skills. :twisted:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts