Digital Drugs. Are your children targeted?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Digital drugs...music being used to induce the same effects as illegal drugs. The music so-to-speak uses binaural beats - essentially ambient sounds - to affect your brain waves. All that's needed are headphones and a music player.

Quote:
For binaural beats to work, you must use headphones. Different sounds are played in each ear. The sounds combine in your brain to create a new frequency. This frequency corresponds to brain wave frequencies.

There are different brain wave frequencies. These frequencies are related to different states like relaxation and alertness.

Digital drugs supposedly synchronize your brain waves with the sound. Hence, they allegedly alter your mental state.

Quote:
Companies that sell digital drugs claim they're safe. Supposedly, they won't affect your physical health.

Let's think about this for a moment. The sites claim binaural beats cause the same effects as illegal drugs. These drugs impair coordination and can cause hallucinations. They've caused countless fatal accidents, like traffic collisions.

If binaural beats work as promised, they are not safe. They could also create a placebo effect. The expectation elicits the response. Again, this is unsafe.

Quoted from USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/ ... rugs_N.htm
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For some reason, in my head I'm seeing an episode of Mythbusters here. :D
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:

good call! somebody should submit this to them. lol

Doesn't seem like it's possible, of course I think hypnosis is bull too.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't doubt this is real. People will do it more for curiosity though, that'll be the worst way for this to become a problem if it is found to cause mental health which again i don't doubt it will.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol wow... new ways to get high
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fascinating ... I never realized that people would go that far just for a "high" ... interesting ...
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

A guy from my schoolclass was listening to it.. And I've listened to it too. But you have to listen the whole song (about 45 minutes) for a good effect. I only got a bit dizzy, not high or something, but I only listened for 3 minutes or something.

In holland they're not making a big fuss out of it, maybe because softdrugs are legal too here. There are even commercials on tv where you can order it for your cellphone.
  • xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx
  • Loc: saint joseph, missouri

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for letting me know about this atno. im downloading some now. cant smoke weed anymore, so why not give it a try? lol
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder if the reason it only works with headphones is something to do with the magnets in the headphones.

general-discussion/the-ultimate-game-t89571.html?hilit=headphones
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've gotta say - I've tried this, and it did diddly-squat for me.
I went through the whole shebang - listened to the entire track (it was almost an hour long), tried to clear my mind, lay on my back on the bed in a dark room with no distractions, had good quality earphones. I really tried. Nuthin.

Of course acupuncture did nothing for me either. Maybe I'm just impervious.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If people actually start buying into this we're going to see a BIG increase in the global stupidity epidemic.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:

xlgfx wrote:
thanks for letting me know about this atno. im downloading some now. cant smoke weed anymore, so why not give it a try? lol

I'm with these guys. :D

But I have heard of sound waves being able to do some messed up things to people. Military operations and all. :P
  • xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx

Post 3+ Months Ago

im getting wireless headphones tonight to try it out, but frequencies have been known to do alot of things. like the ones thats used for riots. theres frequencies that will drop everyone to their knees and make em vomit. u never know. but if anyones interested in trying it find a product called i-dosers
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:

That was meant in a sarcastic way... I never got high or will get high anytime ever! I just don't do that *plum*. Like a lot of people say and suggest... I get high on life.

I'm not in a hurry to try it out and be the genypig of this thing... what if it does cause brain tumors? I'll hear about it first, than laugh later :P In the meantime... I'll leave this *plum* to where it belongs... in the hands of the stupid people (If you wonder, I didn't reach that level of stupidity*... at least not yet :P )

* No offense to stupid people
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
* No offense to stupid people

HAHAHAHAHA that's gotta be the funniest thing I read all day :D
  • xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx

Post 3+ Months Ago

well as "bogey" said, im a "genypig".. BUT it did absolutely nothing but make me wanna fall asleep, so dont expect for it to actually work, im just a curious person. however, after about 20 minutes of listening to this buzzing you can start hearing *plum*..
  • mike29995
  • Born
  • Born
  • mike29995

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
digitalMedia wrote:

good call! somebody should submit this to them. lol

Doesn't seem like it's possible, of course I think hypnosis is bull too.

Hypnosis works and to be honest I think this will as well due to the resonant frequencies. Quite scary that someone has worked out how to do it though.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I highly doubt 95% of people actually know what resonant frequencies actually are, and the only way this probably works is due to the placebo effect. People want to feel something, people expect to feel something, so they do.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
People want to feel something, people expect to feel something, so they do.

That's exactly what I was thinking, you just put it better than what I would've ...
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

mike29995 wrote:
Hypnosis works and to be honest I think this will as well due to the resonant frequencies. Quite scary that someone has worked out how to do it though.

See that's the thing. I don't think anyone has worked out anything. Music has had an effect on mood since the beginning of time, that's not really new. That goes in the "DUH" file. Hypnosis is far from the specific mind control. It's effects are, at best, transient and not consistently potent.

Both instance would require one variable; A proactively willing subject.

I sincerely doubt that one frequency or a collection of frequencies could be applied universally and illicit an identical response from each subject. If that were true we'd all like house-music, and I don't. ;)

This is all bunk designed and promoted to bilk college students out of their parent's hard earned dollars. IMO. :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I sincerely doubt that one frequency or a collection of frequencies could be applied universally and illicit an identical response from each subject.

What about The Brown Note ? :D
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ha! I haven't heard about that in a while.

Quote:
...but they were unsuccessful in producing the rumored effects. The test subjects all reported some physical anxiety and shortness of breath, even a small amount of nausea, but this was dismissed by the participants, noting that sound at that frequency and intensity moves air rapidly in and out of one's lungs.

Sounds more like a physical reaction than a psychological one. :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It had to happen to someone for them to get the idea.

What were they soo embarrassed about that caused them to blame crapping them self on a noise ? :lol:

// Edit -- now that I think about it, someones' mom probably busted them right after they smoked a joint & this whole thing is their little white lie getting blown waaay out of proportion. :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I captured this effect by listening to too much Alice Cooper growing up. Honestly.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Getting high or crapping yourself ?

I'm actually not sure which one you meant because Alice Cooper scares the crap out of me.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

both actually
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ba-dump, chhhhh!
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ooooh, alice cooper is utterly delightful, and was probably my first really serious teenage (okay maybe a little pre-teenage) crush. I just loved how he could do something like 'Gail' or 'Roses on White Lace', but also 'Mary Anne' and 'Crazy Little Child'....... ah...

(sinks into dark reverie)

I think sound can affect you physically - like dM said - but it's unlikely to do much psychologically. And I'm still not too sure about hypnosis. The problem is that people are so susceptible to the power of suggestion..... we can think ourselves into feeling pretty much anything. we can think ourselves into being ill, or well...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts