Discussion on Hiring & Paying Foreign On-line Workers

• metoo
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have over 100 Asian foreigners in Yahoo Messenger, most very very low income earners. I also have simple to moderately simple programming assignments I'd love to pay them to complete. Mostly just adding resale products into my site.

Paypal says I can send money to anyone with an email address, but is this the best method for the Asians who have no bank accounts, no debit cards, etc?

I've learned that many of them pay about 25c an hour to access their local Internet Cafe. I'm more than willing to prepay that amount (via paypal) and provide them with work on a piece by piece basis. What capitalist would not?

I know those outsourcing services have bidders seeking jobs, and they have a payment system already in place. However, since I'll be traveling to Asia in 2009, I'd like to already have independent contractors eagerly awaiting my arrival.

Perhaps YOU have just the solution I'm seeking and are aware of pitfalls?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm really against outsourcing but I understand that capitalism is forced to do that to buy a little more time before it crashes completely.

In any event, I would contact their local internet cafe and prepay blocks of time under their names. Do the same with a local bank and bank accounts. That way you can avoid paypal and just use direct wire transfers to the bank.
  • metoo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
"I'm really against outsourcing but..."

1.) Let's say these "independent contractors" are each located in a different city.

2.) Let's say we don't know whether or not the independent contractor will perform as promised, or just use the prepaid time for webcam chatting

3.) Even if the internet cafe owner agreed to keep records of the people I've sponsored, how does he get paid?

4.) Isn't there some service that is similar to prepaid debit cards, that would allow me to send small amounts of $$, without imposing a large monthly fee?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You send a check or do a wire transfer to the internet cafe(s). We are talking about 25 cents per hour. It doesn't matter if the money is paid to one internet cafe or more than one. At that rate, $100 buys you 400 hours of time. It can be one internet cafe or 4 of them. As a capitalist, it's a risk you have to take if you want to deal so far away from home.

If the so called independent contractor wastes the time chatting, then you don't release the money from the bank. If you lose a few hours in the internet cafe, so what? 4 hours of internet cafe time in Asia is = to a candy bar in America. Who cares?

I don't know what you expect in the way of returns on your investment (ROI) but so far, you are talking about a minimal amount of risk.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a program that maybe can check if that person we're going to pay actually tracked down how many hours they are doing on their job assigned to do?..

I think, if there is, it would be Great.
  • metoo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
"..I don't know what you expect in the way of returns on your investment (ROI) but so far, you are talking about a minimal amount of risk."

Absolutely correct perception! After offshoring the stocking of the digital merchandise into the online store, I'd still have to attract buyers willing to purchase.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know in the U.S. paypal members are able to request a check for up to $500 USD each month without a bank account being attached to the paypal account. I don't know if it's the same for non-US accounts, or whether they have banks that will cash these checks there.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That can run into more money than one wants to invest. That's why I suggested that he deal directly with a bank.
  • metoo

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.unionbankph.com/content.asp- ... ADAIBA.htm

It has been announced by this bank that they are now accepting paypal.

I'm not sure about them charging you $5.00 USD for moving money into your bank account, and the limited number of transactions they will allow. However, it is a start in the right direction, IMHO. I should mention that here is another payment option for consideration. http://smart.com.ph/money/

Seem that there is a lot of preliminary work involved in any new adventures overseas, but the rewards and ROI can become worth it as time passes.

http://smart.com.ph/SmartBro/Products/C ... tation.htm

I was considering opening an internet cafe with this firm, and may still do so later. But at the current rates as observed in an earlier post, it is more cost effective to gather a crew of workers around me upon arrivel and just rent the entire facility on an hourly basis.

Any suggestions, advice or recommendations on competing with the Indian programmers?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know why you insist on using a middle man for money transfers. I would use a bank that has offices where I live and in the Philippines. For example HSBC has offices in both locations. Maybe Union Bank does as well.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have any contact information for some of your good developers? I could use some cheap labor.
  • metoo

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I know in the U.S. paypal members are able to request a check for up to $500 USD each month without a bank account being attached to the paypal account. I don't know if it's the same for non-US accounts, or whether they have banks that will cash these checks there.

Well I was informed to visit the site of the Union Bank, because they have started promoting paypal. Here is the link and you can compare the fees charged, requirements, etc.

http://www.unionbankph.com/content.asp- ... ADAIBA.htm

Others tell me that they need at least 500 pesos to get the following debit card: http://smart.com.ph/money/faqs.htm

And still other ladies tell me of:
https://www.xoom.com/sendmoneynow/home? ... untryCode=

I may put up a very simple .php web page asking them to "vote" on their favorite method of payment.
  • metoo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
I don't know why you insist on using a middle man for money transfers. I would use a bank that has offices where I live and in the Philippines. For example HSBC has offices in both locations. Maybe Union Bank does as well.

Great Observation! Only problem to date is locating a bank post 911 that will allow you to open an account online, without ever having to show up in person to sign forms. Union Bank shows on their site the required documents, and I've not visited HSBC or MetroBank.

I'll likely open accounts there upon my arrival in Jan 2009.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let me try to make it a little clearer. Let's say that I'm in NY and I want to do business in the Philippines. So, I would go into an HSBC bank in NY, show my ID and tell them that I want to open an account that I'll be able to use in the NY branch and one of the branches in the Philippines.

Why wouldn't that work?
  • metoo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
"... So, I would go into an HSBC bank in NY, show my ID and tell them that I want to open an account that I'll be able to use in the NY branch and one of the branches in the Philippines.

Why wouldn't that work?

Let's use VISA debit cards as an example. You go almost anywhere on the planet and can use them. Your NY bank has online access that you can get into while traveling. If you visit their Philippines branch you'd be allowed to access your account.

If your bank has NO office in the Philippines, or no office in Germany or where ever you were located, then your VISA card and online access would have to do.

Trying to pay foreign "independent contractors" or "affiliates" a relatively small dollar amount of $5 - $10 is more work than necessary. One method is to contact the internet cafe the workers will likely be using, and offer to prepay.

http://www.tlrc.gov.ph/merchant.html is one such list to start with, while Yahoo provides another list. Because your offer provides income for the cafe, they would likely be ideal places to post "work at home" job notices. Anyway, that is the road I'm considering traveling because it establishes foreign business connections who are able to recommend temporary help.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unless you live in the mountains, there has to be a bank that has offices in both locations. That is, where you live and where you want to do business.
  • metoo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
"... Unless you live in the mountains, there has to be a bank that has offices in both locations. That is, where you live and where you want to do business."

Here is a list of Banks. Please indicate which are also in your locale.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:B ... hilippines

While I have not investigated each one 100%, I've not seen any of these here in the greater Los Angeles area. Certainly not in the yellow pages.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why are you making things so hard? I told you before HSBC is in the Philippines and is in Los Angeles.
  • skysoldier
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, HSBC have a bunch of branches in the Philippines and many bank like Metrobank and many more. So you don't have to worry.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts