I dislike the BBC

  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8745
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attachments:
bbc.jpg

BBC Homepage Screenprint



To think this is what our TV licensing goes towards. I really hope the Americans win tonight, i really really do! :lol:
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6254
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Crazy Europeans, calling soccer football. Just because it's a ball game played primarily with the foot doesn't make it... oh, right.

Crazy Americans.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13504
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I take it you guys are fans of The Donald over there ? :lol:
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 935
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
To think this is what our TV licensing goes towards. I really hope the Americans win tonight, i really really do!


Surely the fact you want America to win has more to do with being Scottish and absolutely bugger-all to do with the BBC :?: :roll: :D
  • Snow is on Fire
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 36
  • Loc: Auburn, AL

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Crazy Europeans, calling soccer football. Just because it's a ball game played primarily with the foot doesn't make it... oh, right.

Crazy Americans.


The only reason people get away with calling Americans crazy for calling our sport football is because everyone's so caught up in the good-looking passes and 90-yard run touchdowns they forgot how important kicking actually is to the game.

Not to mention, our game doesn't have an alternate name - what are we suppose to call it? Wimp rugby? :P
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6254
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Prime wrote:
Surely the fact you want America to win has more to do with being Scottish and absolutely bugger-all to do with the BBC :?: :roll: :D

I was thinking the same thing. :lol:
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6230
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol @ wimp-rugby ...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like wimp rugby, they wear such huge thick pads and helmets they really are wimps.
  • Snow is on Fire
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 36
  • Loc: Auburn, AL

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I like wimp rugby, they wear such huge thick pads and helmets they really are wimps.


Or we could go with the idea that if they didn't wear that much stuff they'd kill each other.

They should do an experiment to find out. I'd watch. :twisted:

I mean, um, of course they wear pads! No one wants to see anyone get hurt. Especially not me. Nuh uh.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Snow is on Fire wrote:
Or we could go with the idea that if they didn't wear that much stuff they'd kill each other.


But they wear a lot less padding in real rugby and if they were constantly getting killed they wouldn't play the game. Same with hockey, earlier this season a dude got his neck slashed open by the blade on someones skate, but the game went on.
  • Snow is on Fire
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 36
  • Loc: Auburn, AL

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is true I suppose. Honestly I don't know too much about rugby, except the guys playing it look kind of insane to me. SEC ftw?
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8745
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Prime wrote:
Surely the fact you want America to win has more to do with being Scottish and absolutely bugger-all to do with the BBC :?: :roll: :D

I was thinking the same thing. :lol:


I'd say that you are about 70% right Prime. The other 30% i was supporting the USA was mainly because my 1 year old Nephew is American...so uh...there you go.

For those of you Americans who were interested but didn't care enough to find out the final score, it was England 2-0 USA.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8745
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I take it you guys are fans of The Donald over there ? :lol:


There is a UK version which started a year after the American show but rather than having Donald Trump we have Sir Alan Sugar. Sir Alan Sugar incase you never knew was the founder of Amstrad.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Amstrad? Never heard of it. I'll use google.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8745
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Amstrad? Never heard of it. I'll use google.


Did you guys not get Amstrad computers?

Wow. I always remember going onto my Amstrad CPC 464 which had a green screen and would use cassette tapes to load up programs. Only got rid of it a few years ago despite nothing ever being wrong with it.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 481

Post 3+ Months Ago

Snow is on Fire wrote:
Honestly I don't know too much about rugby, except the guys playing it look kind of insane to me.

:D Kind of reminds me of WWE. I've never understood either of them - both of them look plain crazy to me.

SB wrote:
Sir Alan Sugar incase you never knew was the founder of Amstrad.

Interesting. I used to have a Sinclair ZX Spectrum.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember like 15 years ago in grade school we had an apple computer in the classroom with the green text on the screen, it was one of those ones that was really heavy and tall and skinny, it had a little screen probably only 5 or 6 inches across and the keyboard was one of those huge big clunky ones. I think it was new and high tech enough to use the big 5 inch floppies too, back when floppies were actually floppy.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6254
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

We had those in grade school as well. Did you play Math Munchers? We did. It was a good time.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember playing some games, I think a hang man type of game. I remember playing oregon trail too.
  • Snow is on Fire
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 36
  • Loc: Auburn, AL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hrm... Real floppies. I played some sesame street game with one when I was extremely little. I also played Oregon Trail and a game I *think* was called "Conquest" with my older cousins, but I don't think I really understood those.
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 935
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I'd say that you are about 70% right Prime. The other 30% i was supporting the USA was mainly because my 1 year old Nephew is American...so uh...there you go.


It's not exactly a secret, all the home countries hate the English ... :roll: ... and some. Although in my experience a lot of Scottish peeps hate us with venom. It's not a joke they truly truly hate us, it's racist hatred :evil:. The question is, why :?:

Do most Scottish people realise the English are brought up supporting Scotland :?: I actually lodged with a Scottish girl who'd lived in Birmingham for years and she told me she was brought up to "hate" the English as a small child. She never realised until she moved to England that it was a one-way relationship. Can't honestly remember which part of Scotland she came from....

The really tragic thing is the English have started to take serious notice :shock: ... Scottish independence is now more popular in England than it is in Scotland and has been for several years. I'm personally against all that stuff. United we stand, divided we fall... It'll be a very sad day for Britain and all countries involved but I'm convinced it will happen :(
  • Snow is on Fire
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 36
  • Loc: Auburn, AL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Prime wrote:
Quote:
It's not exactly a secret, all the home countries hate the English ... :roll: ... and some.


Come live in the U.S. for a while! Everyone hates us! Some of us even hate ourselves... :hmm:

Actually, my boyfriend goes to Lancaster University (long story). He sent me a YouTube of a British comedian imitating the Scottish once. I'd look it up but I forgot the dude's name. :P
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8745
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Snow is on Fire wrote:
Prime wrote:
Quote:
It's not exactly a secret, all the home countries hate the English ... :roll: ... and some.


Come live in the U.S. for a while! Everyone hates us! Some of us even hate ourselves... :hmm:

Actually, my boyfriend goes to Lancaster University (long story). He sent me a YouTube of a British comedian imitating the Scottish once. I'd look it up but I forgot the dude's name. :P


It's funny because i think that post more or less summarised what alot of people feel like up here in Scotland.

The use of the "British comedian imitating the Scottish" is funny because technically i'm lead to believe that i am too British yet people often mistake the British as just being the English.

It's a bit unfair to state that everyone in Scotland hates the English, but i'd admit that a considerable amount of people do dislike the English. My only understanding (through some feelings of my own) is that growing up in this so called "Britain" it seems that Scotland and Wales seem to be treated like an additional country to England by the "UK Government". This is actually one of the main reasons why devolution became such an issue a couple of decades ago and ultimately resulted in Scotland having it's own government...however the whole Scottish government isn't complete and many people up here feel that it should be completely independant and i too do believe it will happen someday...just not as soon as some might expect. Certainly within my lifetime i would expect.

It's all politics. Basically if you look at the UK Government and see the general mess that the UK as a whole is in at the moment. Then if you have paid any attention to the goverment issues up here in Scotland you'll see that it's not all "pro Scottish independance" from the governing SNP party. Infact, within the first year of them being the leading party they've shot up in the ratings due to alot of popular and honest things. They are tidying up the mess left by previous parties and actually showing the people that they care about our country...something that so far Labour has failed to do in the last 10 or so years they've been in control over the UK.

Getting back to the whole "Britain" thing, it does bother me when people see the typical English accent as being the British accent. There is (in my opinion) no such thing as the British accent. It's all about how the goverment goes about showing how Britain is to the world. A silly example, take "Britains got talent", how many cities here in Scotland or Wales did they visit? 1 in each country. Yet you've got about 5-6 different cities in England. Okay...so it's just a telly program. It's not just one progam though, our television here in Scotland is dominated by predominantly English programs. We have to put up with the likes of Emerdale and Eastenders for example where each of the locations have strong local accents...something that we have to accept. It's been mentioned many times previously by politicians down in England that any Scottish programs (such as Still Game, based in Glasgow) have subtitles. Why?

Then we get to the whole economy. Would you believe that Scotland and Wales get a fraction of the allocated spending money that England gets? okay, so England is a larger country than both Scotland and Wales however the one country within the UK that generates most of the income is actually Scotland. The north sea Oil is perhaps one of the biggest things for the whole of the UK economy as well as the Scottish Whiskey trade which is actually going through it's busiest stage at the moment.

I think anyone that has grown up in Scotland that truly loves the country that they have and takes the time to think about what it means to be here can start to feel a bit of dislike towards the English. I think it's important for me to stress that while i'm Pro Scottish it doesn't mean i'm anti-English. You will be proud to be an Englishman as i am a Scotsman, it's just our two situations are very very different. I've never believed in the British thing which is why if i ever talk about the UK it's just as the UK because at the moment we are United. As you say though, it could be true that one day Scotland won't be part of the United Kingdom. The longer things go on like this the stronger the feelings get.

I post this on behalf of myself, i know a number of people who don't necessarily agree on the whole talk of Scottish Devolution. As things stand though, i love my country and i can't help but acknoledge and love what the Scottish National Party has done in it's first year in office. I don't trust any politician, but Alex Salmond (Scotland's First Minister) is a darn site more trustworthy than that of Gordon Brown or any of the other leaders.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8745
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh and as a side note, my brother lives in England and is expecting his first child in England with his English girlfriend.
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 935
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The use of the "British comedian imitating the Scottish" is funny because technically i'm lead to believe that i am too British yet people often mistake the British as just being the English.


Therein lies the crux of the problem :roll: I have a lot of sympathy regarding this misconception but I don't think the Englih are to blame. Perhaps we need to raise the profile of Scotland. I honestly have no idea how to address the issue but I feel it's what really grates the home countries.

Quote:
A silly example, take "Britains got talent", how many cities here in Scotland or Wales did they visit?


Point taken, good example. :D

I don't tend to agree about the finances, Scotland generating the most income parliament doesn't care etc ... Nice sound bites but I honestly think it's just cheap propaganda.

Still, at least we agree on the inevitable :( The United Kingdom isn't as united as we'd all like to think.
  • Snow is on Fire
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 36
  • Loc: Auburn, AL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to clarify, I'm not sure the comedian was English. :-P
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8745
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

And this is the "British Broadcasting Corporation" showing their priorities once again. This is after me setting my location to my local post code area...

Attachments:
ozzu.jpg


As we see here we have a story of an English "soccer" team showing interest on a player over the recent Scottish game that just finished an hour or so ago. Had it been England playing (such as the case against the USA) things would have been very different.

If i showed you a copy of my BBC home page even with the setting being north east Scotland (or Scotland as they tend to call it) and you look at the "local news" bit you'll find stories that are based in Glasgow. Glasgow is 170 miles away from here yet you'd have two different regions for Manchester and London which has the same distance (i know, i've checked).

I alot more bitter than i actually am by the way. You did ask though... :lol:
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 935
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

How would you address the situation :?: What would put a smile on the face of the average Scot :?: (...other than Argentina beating us at football :cry: )
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Posts: 2209
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I take it you guys are fans of The Donald over there ? :lol:


lol
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8745
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Prime wrote:
How would you address the situation :?: What would put a smile on the face of the average Scot :?: (...other than Argentina beating us at football :cry: )


Argentina beating you guys at football! :lol:

Honestly though, the best step forward is for people to stop talking about Britain until people within the UK actually have an idea of what Britain is. Nobody really knows what Britain is, why do we need to have so many names for a group of countries anyway? what's wrong with just the United Kingdom?

I sound like the most bitter idiot here, but i'm not too bothered about this. It's not your problem, it's not anyones. It's years and years of very poor journalism and lack of respect from anyone within Scotland or Wales to let it get this way.

I think it's all really come about in a funny way through both of our countries history (see Braveheart to have an idea on what i'm talking about). The fact that the first ever international football match was between Scotland and England has sort of also added the more comical side to the "we hate the English, let them lose!!" sort of thing which was one of the reasons i started this topic.

When you turn on the telly and hear the news about Scotland allegedly wanting to break from the United Kingdom you do have to realise that this is only being brought up because we have the Scottish National Party leading the country at the moment. They have been pretty smart about this though and in England you'll probably be hearing more about this than any of the other things that they are doing in Scotland so the issue will be viewed a bit differently. That's not to say it's not a big topic of discussion amongst some people right now, but it's not as big an issue.

Like everything though, if you plant a seed it grows. What the SNP have done this last year has planted a the Scottish Independance seed and now it's growing. Now people are really thinking about it, now people see this as the time to make some sort of move. That seed won't be killed off, there isn't anything that the Government at Westminster can do to rid the thought of life outside the UK from the people that love Scotland. What happens next? who knows.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
cron
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.