Does God play dice?

  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Posts: 2209
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone has read a book about this topic? A friend lately has been telling about it very indefinitely. I kinda convinced to find out what exactly is the theory saying...

Suumary, perhaps? :mrgreen:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't heard of the book, but there is a magazine available in any good book store called "Skeptic". I'm sure if you look through their archives on their website they will have something about it.
  • Search Marketing Man
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Search Marketing Man
  • Posts: 14
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its all about chaos man....well worth a read....how much do you knop about chaos theory?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll have to read the wikipedia page sometime when I am bored silly and need something to do.
  • Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 421
  • Loc: Rochester or Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally believe that the universe (including ourselves) is deterministic...
though I have no way to determine that :P
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6250
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ba-dum, chh!

Hmm.. I wonder if we could model the entire universe as a finite automaton..
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course god plays dice, why else would there be 7 days in a week ?

Come on seven !
Our father who art in heaven needs a new pair of shoes !
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1647
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attachments:
god.jpg
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Posts: 2209
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Search Marketing Man wrote:
Its all about chaos man....well worth a read....how much do you knop about chaos theory?

I don't know nothing about it. How about you?
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1647
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your not the only one man, I have never heared of this before.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2194
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Chaos theory is a pretty prevalent teaching method. If you haven't heard of it I'm assuming you didn't take many extra classes in math or physics.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1647
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

neksus wrote:
The Chaos theory is a pretty prevalent teaching method. If you haven't heard of it I'm assuming you didn't take many extra classes in math or physics.


Then you assume wrong, I took a lot of math and physics classes. :hmm:
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2194
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol
Sleeping doesn't count :P
  • Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 421
  • Loc: Rochester or Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:
Then you assume wrong, I took a lot of math and physics classes.

In all my physics classes it was at least mentioned. I don't think it was ever part of the classes material but the two physics teachers i've had always liked to talk about things they found interesting...
spork wrote:
Ba-dum, chh!

Hmm.. I wonder if we could model the entire universe as a finite automaton..


Maybe we can't but maybe thats possible
Maybe even if we made such a model that fits with all of science (and I guess all of life) seems like you would never be able to tell if theres something your not considering....or not perceiving alltogether... how would you ever be sure you got it right?
Maybe the model just happens to fit the universe instead of being the truth of existence (I guess that wouldn't stop it from working)

Maybe the universe acts like a simulation...where the content is dynamically generated, and everytime we dig deeper new content will be created. Maybe atoms didn't really exist untill we tried looked that far.
Maybe be we are in a simulation...

Maybe just like subatomic particles are so insanely small the universe is also insanely small in whatever its a part of. That the universe is just one small particle on some lifeform that isn't aware of our existence because we're too small for it to percieve. Maybe things like gravity are because of this lifeform exerting forces that we can't possible understand and just don't notice any change because the scope of our existence is so small in comparison that we are alive and dead in an instant for it (something simliar to how bacteria is for us)

Maybe I had a point...
  • grinch2171
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6807
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sumen wrote:
Maybe just like subatomic particles are so insanely small the universe is also insanely small in whatever its a part of. That the universe is just one small particle on some lifeform that isn't aware of our existence because we're too small for it to percieve. Maybe things like gravity are because of this lifeform exerting forces that we can't possible understand and just don't notice any change because the scope of our existence is so small in comparison that we are alive and dead in an instant for it (something simliar to how bacteria is for us)

Maybe I had a point...


Did someone see Horton Hears a Who?
  • Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 421
  • Loc: Rochester or Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

no but now im interested
is it good?
  • grinch2171
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6807
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never seen it but I read the book when I was a kid.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Posts: 2209
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it another mathematics book/ theory? How does it relate to "Does god play dice"? Any relations?... :scratchhead:
  • grinch2171
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6807
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do any of you know who Dr. Suess is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horton_Hears_A_Who

It is not a mathematics book. I was referring to Sumen's talk of us possibly being a small speck in a greater universe. This is exactly what this children's book kind of covers.

Horton, an elephant, hears a small speck of dust talking to him. He discovers that the speck of dust is a tiny planet called Whoville.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Posts: 2209
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

O.k, I see..
no, I don't know who Dr. Suess is..
But it sounds quite interesting. Will look into the link later
  • grinch2171
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6807
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
O.k, I see..
no, I don't know who Dr. Suess is..
But it sounds quite interesting. Will look into the link later


Were you born and raised in an underground bunker? You are the first person I have ever talked to who has not heard of Dr. Suess.

Here are some of his works:

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
The Cat in the Hat
The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
Green Eggs and Ham
Dr. Seuss's ABC
Hop on Pop
Fox in Socks
My Book about ME
I Can Draw It Myself
Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!
The Cat's Quizzer
I Can Read with My Eyes Shut!
Oh Say Can You Say?
I Am NOT Going to Get Up Today!
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Posts: 2209
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sure many haven't heard of it too..

No, I wasn't born and raised that way..Thanks.

Is that how you found your name, Grinch?

Quote:
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas


:mrgreen:
  • Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 421
  • Loc: Rochester or Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought it was a household name
I guess maybe just in america
I am suprised I didn't recognize the name
I know the book and the story

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.