Does the United States of America have an offical language?

• whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does the United States have an official national language?

No, the United States has never had an official national language -- and throughout its history many languages have been spoken along with English. A quick search on "United States official language" led us head-on into controversy. Many citizens feel strongly that the government should establish English as the official language of the United States, a view expressed in the mission statement of English First. Other Americans believe that linguistic diversity is a key aspect of our heritage and that English-only laws are motivated by fear and by false stereotypes about non-native speakers, a view supported in this ACLU Briefing Paper.
We learned more about the ongoing debate by visiting the Language Policy > English As Official Language category of Yahoo!'s Directory. Web sites on both sides of the issue report that the current "English Only" movement began in 1981, when Canadian-born S. I. Hayakawa, a language scholar and Republican senator from California, sponsored a constitutional amendment to make English the official language. In 1983 Hayakawa helped found U.S. English, a non-partisan organization that lobbies for English-only legislation, and supports related initiatives to encourage English literacy for immigrants.

We found balanced coverage of current and pending language legislation on journalist James Crawford's vast and well-informed Language Policy Web Site & Emporium. Crawford has been covering language policy for more than fifteen years.

Here are some relevant bits of information from various sites:

$1.5 billion is a rough estimate of how much the U.S. government spends annually on language education. Some programs are designed to replace minority languages with English, other funds are spent in support of "foreign" language studies to improve communication in the competitive global marketplace.

English Language Advocates reports that nearly 17 million Americans admit that they not do speak English very well, that the number of Americans who do not speak English has soared since the 1990 census, and that 18% of Americans do not speak English at home.

Before Columbus, roughly 300 languages were spoken here -- now almost half of those are extinct. Crawford projects that in another 50 years only 20 indigenous North American languages will be alive and spoken.
Will the 107th Congress pass national language legislation? In the words of a popular American tune, "que sera sera..."

hahaha now i can prove my social studies teacher worng. she said we had one
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• shatter2day
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: N.Y.

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually the US does have an official language-english.
there was a time when the language was actually voted on, and you'll never guess what language finished 2nd-> German
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to see the source you quoted that from whatlikesit :)

URL?
  • shatter2day
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would also like to see the website you quoted that from too , just on the off chance that im wrong, some sites play w/your head too
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20011107.html

ok so maybe we do. but if our county was formed in 1776 "offical" signing of the constution. but up until 1998 we didn't have one. i googled it
  • shatter2day
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks like im wrong, learn something new every day huh?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts