Domain Help

• newb
  • newb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all ,

My 9 year old and i are learning html , we want to start a site with are own domain . But the options for hosting seem endless and confusing.
Should we register our domain first and then find a host? or vice versa?
Since our site will just be a family site there will be no real traffic and it were up 95 % of the time that would be fine. ive seen host for like 35 cents/month? are these for real?

your input appreciated.

Newb
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can get your own domain either before you get your host or after. I recommend getting it first from a company like GoDaddy. You can goto Godaddy here:

http://www.godaddy.com/

Their domains are relatively much cheaper than all of the competitors. That is where I purchase all of mine. I think you can get a domain there for $8.95 for a year.

As far as hosting the cheapest hosting you can find is Free, however 35 cents a month seems almost like a joke. If it was that cheap they might as well just make it free. Usually one of the drawbacks to free hosting is that the host will place popup ads or banners on your site to pay for your hosting.
  • newb
  • newb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thankyou for your reply Bigwebmaster, (nice site buy the way!)
Im gonna register the domain name that ive been thinking of.
What i dont understand is, do i need to transfer the domain to the host when i find one ? Or do i just provide godaddy with the host info?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, you do not transfer the domain to them. It should stay completely under your name and your account. What your host will do is provide you with DNS servers that you need to point your domain to. Once you set your domain to point to their DNS it usually takes from 24-72 hours before your domain will propagate and start working.
  • newb
  • newb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see ...... thks for the info

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts