Don't let your children play with viruses.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man, two of our employees let W32.Netsky.C@mm loose on our network today. What a bugger to clean. Took me four hours. I quaranteened and deleted 3887 replications in our data volume, in addition to cleaning and repairing the two culprit computers. What a pain in the behind!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: that's why they pay you the big bucks, isn't it? ;) :P
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I deserve at least a beer for today! *lol and, ummm no joy on the big bucs, yet.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have one company I do computer repair and virus cleaning for, and he just opens his email with out looking to see who it is that is sending it to him :shock: he had about 7000 copies of w32.mydoom and about 2000 copies of w32.netsky on his PC. They had infected every directory and subdirectory on the PC :shock: got me an hour of work :twisted:
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV (blech!)

Post 3+ Months Ago

"virii"... that's great! like "cacti", or "octopi"

:lol:

I've never seen the plural of "virus" writtten that way. In school we always wrote "viruses." Is this the correct way or is yours?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a Latin word - the plural is virii

//Excuse me, I apologize and stand corrected. I've seen it that way for so long that I thought that was correct. It is not. You got my curiosity up and I actually looked it up. Viruses is correct. I will promptly change my spelling henceforth:

http://www.perl.com/language/misc/virus.html
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

is it weird that I feel bad for correcting a mod on grammar? :oops:

Thanks for looking it up. :wink:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I learn something new every day. That was not the first new thing I learned today and won't be the last. Thanks for helping me see it.
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

ModernDestroyer wrote:
he had about 7000 copies of w32.mydoom and about 2000 copies of w32.netsky on his PC.

i assume u hade a very nice day.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

well you can never stop learning......

Look at the attachment opening users as job security. It all works out
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

My mom has been using the comptuer for like a month, and the only thing she uses it for is e-mail and some web browsing. The thing is, is that she gets the e-mail viruses all the time and she knows which ones are real e-mails and which ones are virues. So if she can learn after a month or two of using a computer, most other people should be able to learn about this stuff.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

BlueHat wrote:
ModernDestroyer wrote:
he had about 7000 copies of w32.mydoom and about 2000 copies of w32.netsky on his PC.

i assume u hade a very nice day.

actually I used the removal tools from the symantec website and it took about an hour or so and another hour or so updating and rechecking everything.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

holy cow MD!!!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

MD isn't kidding -- In the end, I cleaned about 4500 replicants of Netsky off of our shared network folder. The next day, caught 880 more because I missed a subfolder. And over the last couple days I found another 400 some instances of that and Beagle. Just talked to my mom and her quarantine server is on her computer where she works and they are getting hit just as hard. I think I finally got rid of them all today after a week of messing with it off and on. For whatever it's worth -- I'm extremely pleased with Symantec's Enterprise edition. It ain't cheap by a long shot, but worth every penny in my book. Fortunately, the timing was right because I just had to renew licenses and got the newest release.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been thinking of doing some free classes at our local community centres on teaching home users how to keep their computer virus free and safe.

I am astounded at the amount of home computer users connected to the internet who have absolutely no idea about how to travel the internet safely without picking up viruses, spyware etc..
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forget home users. You have no idea how much spyware crap I've cleaned from work computers. And a month later they're loaded again. I think I'm going to take my bull whip into work with me and start carrying it around every time they call me with "My computer is so slow I can't do anything -- and I have pop-ups all over the place when I try to get to the internet!"

I really am going to do that!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah but business would be able to go along too - basically anyone who knows jack about internet computer security.

actually - businesses who have any number of computers should be teaching their employees how to use them responsibly!

i think educating computer users would decrease these viruses dramatically
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
businesses who have any number of computers should be teaching their employees how to use them responsibly!

i think educating computer users would decrease these viruses dramatically

Yep --that's why I'm bringing the whip (genuine Texas leather) -- teaching and emails and training aren't working so, I'm going to revert to the tried and true method! *lol
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahahaa woo!

i think there might be a fair amount of bad attitude of "its not my computer who cares" as well as just some people just basically have no idea when it comes to a computer, they just click randomly about the screen haha

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts