Dreamweaver - good or bad?

• tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been looking at a lot of jobs to do with web design and almost all of them want me to use dreamweaver, now I have never used it and have no real need to because it is very easy to make websites in dreamweaver and have 0 web design skills, or am I just not getting it?
Is dreamweaver worth having bearing in mind as it is a LOT of money to do something I can do anyway, i.e. code websites...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any tool someone is willing to pay you for knowing how to use, is worth knowing how to use.

If you're a fast learner and can dedicate a couple of weeks to a month towards a crash course in Dreamweaver, I believe you can get a trial copy of dreamweaver that lasts 30 days.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dreamweaver is used by a lot of design companies, I think primarily because it's easy to throw something together fast, plus Dreamweaver is a good collaboration program if you have multiple designers working on the same project.

I have it as part of an Adobe Suite but seldom use it except for throwing together quick photo galleries to show my friends and family pictures.

If you try the trial like Joe suggested, I think you'll find as someone already experienced with coding, the WYSIWYG editor is painfully annoying, and the code generated is worse.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO there's plenty of text editors that can give you the same functionality for much cheaper, but I agree with Joe: if a company wants to pay you to use a tool, it's worth knowing how to use.

The WYSIWYG editor is useless for doing actual design.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a question while were on this topic: How does Notepad++ compare to Dreamweaver? (Not about WYSIWYG, but the syntax highlighting)
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like dreamweaver autocomplete and color coding and especially the "format code" command.

The thing CS4 is missing is the diff link to launch your diff program, so that is a pain (at least I can't find it like in CS3).

The ftp built in is great, the _notes folder it stores on the server helps so you don't overwrite someone else's changes.

I ignore the spry, but I do use split view often to see what my code change does to the page.

And with CS4 dual monitors layout for all programs was a major improvement.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've worked several places that said they used Dreamweaver for production but it really just boils down to the fact that they've purchased one of the Adobe Creative Suites that included DW. Most places don't care if you use DW or not (by the way you can use it as either a WYSIWYG or code editor) but they're saying that if you don't want to use DW you better be using something free because they aren't gong to pay for some other editor.

In all reality "learning Dreamweaver" isn't all that difficult if you know how to write the code. If you can use any other text editor you can use dreamweaver in code mode. DW has gotten a bad rep because many people think it "makes a website" for them. In reality its really no different than any other IDE except that it allows you to drag and drop snippets that can assemble into a webpage.
  • healthtips
  • Born
  • Born
  • healthtips

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dreamweaver is very good software to create a website.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I have a question while were on this topic: How does Notepad++ compare to Dreamweaver? (Not about WYSIWYG, but the syntax highlighting)

What is there to compare? Highlighting is highlighting; they both have it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Bogey wrote:

What is there to compare? Highlighting is highlighting; they both have it.

I meant the part where you code, not WYSIWYG... the only the highlighter...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right. Dreamweaver and N++ both have syntax highlighting. Not sure what you're getting at :scratchhead:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Right. Dreamweaver and N++ both have syntax highlighting. Not sure what you're getting at :scratchhead:

Nevermind, reading a few of these posts, I got my answer.

Notepad++
Customizable Highlighter
Auto Tabbing
Space for tabs

Dreamweaver
Customizable Highlighter (I think)
Auto Complete
Auto Tabbing (Right?)

That's it... I mean a feature list of what it can do and which one is better, but I guess this is fine... I'll just read a feature list of Adobe Dreamweaver on their site :)
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson
  • Loc: Arkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not a big DW fan. I used to be until i found NotePad++ it seems to give me more control.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts