CD drive problems!

• captainmurph
  • Born
  • Born
  • captainmurph

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running Windows ME and my laptop recognizes my D drive as a local disk. I cannot access my cd drive. My printer will not print, my modem will not work, etc. I know the windows drivers are missing or corrupt. I can't access msdos. If I could I would format the c drive and start again. Also I do not have a floppy drive. Please help!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Talos
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

When did your laptop start doing this? If it all happened at one time I would think a virus might be at work. I would first update your virus scanner and run it to see if it finds anything. Now Check to see if its working again. If it is still not working I would then use the system restore tool build into ME. Im not sure how to get to it in ME but in XP its start menu->all programs->Accessories->system toolos->system restore.

run this and pick a date that you know it was working fine on and try that. I have seen this fix a few problems from time to time.

Hope this helps.
  • TheEyeOfIceMan
  • Loc: Fowler, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

It honestly sounds like ME is up to its old tricks again, IMO ME is the buggiest software microsoft as ever made, It will corrupt files for no reason which it sounds like its doing in your case, Your best bet would be to format, Try getting an external cdrom and hooking that up and booting from it. It doesnt sound like there is much you can do in your situation. If I think of something else I will post back again.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

try buying XP and booting off the XP cd. You can still eject the CDROM drive, can't you? If so, you should be able to boot off it.
  • TheEyeOfIceMan
  • Loc: Fowler, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
try buying XP and booting off the XP cd. You can still eject the CDROM drive, can't you? If so, you should be able to boot off it.

Your right, Its 2:41 in the morning and I was for some reason thinking that it wasnt working in the BIOS :oops:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts