Driving Test

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope this works in other parts of the world.

Take this test, it's pretty good. Very informative too at the end.

DVLA Test
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• craniul 26
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • craniul 26

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow that is awesome I didn't even see the surprise! I had a problem understanding the accent so that was another distraction for me though! Still a great example.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its kinda stupid actually. They give you one interesction where there are about 20 yellow shirts and 10 red ones, all walking in different directions. A normal human can't count that many that fast unless you pause the video.

Or maybe that is the test? Maybe you are expected to use a screen capture program and count the shirts after the test is over.

And if they give some kind of surprize at the end, I didn't get to it since I closed the brower before the end anyway since I don't do stupid tests like that.

FAIL
  • Flanders
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Reno, Nevada US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got the right number of pedestrians, but I never answered any questions. She just prattled on and on... I wasn't really listening.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder why the "Scientists" are so amazed that people ignore the bunny. At the start, the deliberately tell you to igore anything gray, then they are amazed that you actually do it.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Augh, well, guess there's no need to take a look now because that sure sounds like a spoiler to me...
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not really. Yes, the test may seem silly but the point of it is more important than anything else. It's interesting to see how your mind concentrates on things to the point where you miss random stuff like the bunny.

When i first did it i never noticed the bunny and i was two out with the points. Missed answering the questions too because i had to press the laptop spacebar more than i normally would when typing.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh, I think I see now (I'm winging it since I don't have video at work and the home comp is in a box at the moment). Some of these I really like, and some are just ridiculous. I saw one with some student bounce-passing and chest-passing several basketballs. The goal was to count the basketballs. Midway, a dude in a gorilla suit nonchalantly walks through the background. I'm not sure how anyone could miss it, but I guess some people probably do.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Ahh, I think I see now (I'm winging it since I don't have video at work and the home comp is in a box at the moment). Some of these I really like, and some are just ridiculous. I saw one with some student bounce-passing and chest-passing several basketballs. The goal was to count the basketballs. Midway, a dude in a gorilla suit nonchalantly walks through the background. I'm not sure how anyone could miss it, but I guess some people probably do.

It's easy to miss it. The better you are at concentrating on the task at hand, the less likely you will see the mouse/gorilla.

Here are the instructions again:

- Follow the guys passing the balls
- Completely Ignore anything black

If you notice the gorilla, then you have FAILED - not the other way around. People that DON'T see the gorilla are the ones that have successfully followed instructions.

In the driving example, the "scientists" (which really means NOT scientists) ask the person to ignore the color gray, then they are amazed that people do exactly that - ignore it. In the driving test, do you think you would still not see the mouse if he was dressed red or yellow? I bet the "scientists" haven't done that test have they?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe that was the problem - maybe I got bogus instructions where I found the video because there was nothing about ignoring black. It was just count bounce passes, and then "ha! didnt see the gorilla did u?!?", which was very obviously there.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I forgot to count the pedestrians and just put zero at the end, the only question I heard and pressed the space bar for was "are you listening to me", and I laughed at the guy in the squirrel costume.

Other than that I was just trying to figure out how to make sure I didn't hit the pedestrians.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Maybe that was the problem - maybe I got bogus instructions where I found the video because there was nothing about ignoring black. It was just count bounce passes, and then "ha! didnt see the gorilla did u?!?", which was very obviously there.

Oh but the instructions DO tell you to ignore black, or in the case of the driving test, gray:

red - 2 points
yellow - 1 point
gray - 0 points

These instructions definately tell you - ignore gray because you don't get points for those.

It's called misdirection.

Here you can test out how bogus the "scientists" are by viewing the video again, but with these instructions:

red - 0 points
yellow - 0 points
gray - 10 points

This time, I BET you see the mouse every time.

See now how the test is designed to force you to ignore the mouse? Failing to miss the mouse, is actually successfully completing the test. So it should read: 85% get this test right, the other %15 see the mouse and can't focus on the red/yellow like they are told to.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts