dump old PC parts

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

My grandfather is moving and he has quite a few old PC parts and PCs lying around at his home, he doesn't want them any more which makes total sense because those things are really old and he doesn't know what to do with them. What do you guys do with stuff like that, because the municipal dump doesn't want to accept it ... ?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are usually charities that will accept hardware, assuming they're not completely antiquated. :)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, these parts are really old ... my grandpa just held them in his house all these years, and his new house is too small, so they are really useless in a non-doorstop-use sense ...
  • dvduval
  • dvduval

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can, it is good if you can find a local recycling company that will take them. Some parts can be harmful if just thrown away, because of the heavy metals in the parts, and it is much better to get them to someone that can do something with the good ones, and dispose of the bad ones.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many systems are you talking about here ?

Is it a small enough pile of stuff that a few trips to leave a portion of it at a time at a computer repair shops dumpster wouldn't fill up their dumpster or take too long to do without filling the dumpster up ?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hahaha, on campus here you'd have no problem getting rid of that stuff. Just leave it in the hallway of our computing & information sciences building and the parts would be gone within two days, guaranteed. There are plenty of people who love to play around with that stuff, lol
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
How many systems are you talking about here ?

Is it a small enough pile of stuff that a few trips to leave a portion of it at a time at a computer repair shops dumpster wouldn't fill up their dumpster or take too long to do without filling the dumpster up ?

hehe, yeah I can probably do that, it won't fill up the dumpster there, it's a pretty big one. Great idea.
spork wrote:
Hahaha, on campus here you'd have no problem getting rid of that stuff. Just leave it in the hallway of our computing & information sciences building and the parts would be gone within two days, guaranteed. There are plenty of people who love to play around with that stuff, lol

hehe, at our college it was the opposite really, you could leave old parts anywhere in any hall and it would stay right there ... makes me think of a one-liner ...
Where do you find a dog without legs?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's actually funny that you mention this... it reminds me of my senior year of high school when I came to RIT for a weekend to visit...

When we were given a tour of the GCCIS (pronounced: Jesus) building, I remember walking by piles of old computer components... I remember thinking that the people here were such dorks... however I realized that they really just liked playing around with things as much as I did...

Basically, in my college's building, computer parts go like candy because there's always someone willing to use them for some project here or there. The thing I love about my college is that there's so many possible uses for a particular computer component here or there that there's always a destination or purpose for any outdated component or device.

Basically, when computer components are dropped off in the hallways of my collage; they are nabbed up ASAP by other students within my college. I've got to stay true to my major here and promote hardware within my major [software engineering] as opposed to other majors within my college. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts