Easiest SPAM challenge I've had in awhile

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Eight plus one, let's see do I use a digit or do I spell it, oh ok. That was easy.

Attachments:
easy-spam-challenge.gif
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You probably don't know this as I implemented it after you joined Ozzu, but on the registration page here I have two spam challenges. One is the typical CAPTCHA based system but the other is this:

Which of these bark? (cat, dog, mouse)

and they have to write in the correct response. I am thinking that one is pretty easy too, but it does fool a good deal of automated bots just making it one step harder than reading the phpbb3 captcha. Alot of spammers will try and break that and once they are successful they can break through massive amounts of forums, except for those that have made things a bit more difficult. Not worth their time to take the extra steps though ;)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep. Bots are all about similarities between websites.

I remember when phpBB3's release was being held up because of the CAPTCHA system. I thought it was a joke.

There's no sense in putting a bunch of effort into making one "unbeatable" captcha. The time would be better spent making the CAPTCHA system modular and able to change challenge formats often. That way even if a bot writer can justify the time spent in writing a special case gimmick, it's not going to last long at all.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts