EGold Owners Plead Guilty to Money Laundering

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/07 ... laundering

Quote:
E-Gold, an Internet-based payment service, and three owners have pleaded guilty to criminal charges related to money laundering, the U.S. Department of Justice said Monday.

E-Gold, based in Nevis, West Indies, and corporate affiliate Gold & Silver Reserve each pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to conspiracy to engage in money laundering and conspiracy to operate an unlicensed money-transmitting business.

I've never really delt with EGold, I know some of the conversations I've seen in various places where people wanted to trade with it scared me a little though.

Sometimes I wonder just how much money laundering is really going on online. Given the ease of automating pretty much everything it can't be too hard to do at all.

Look at the hosting industry for instance, pay some kids to collect prepaid credit cards from gas stations, give them free top-of-the-line laptops to go into Starbucks and drink free $5 coffees and signup for premium hosting accounts all day long.
Past thatyou'ld really just have to jump through a bunch of overseas proxies to make it look like there's people using the stuff.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's kind of like those free xbox 360 scams. I almost did that once, but the idea of giving my email address out to so many people and filling out those stupid surveys seemed a bit odd with such a big pay off. I guess I could have used a different email address for it...

Maybe I'll try that and see what happens, but I don't want to give them my mailing address either though.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts