Voting Chart

Total votes : 18

What happens next?

•  
    A sex scandal involving McCain & former Miss Alaska.
  •  
    A financial scandal involving Palin, Alaska, & Big Oil.
  •  
    McCain gets assassinated in his first month and Palin becomes the first woman president.
  •  
    McCain has heart attack and Palin becomes president. re: number 1
  •  
    Palin's husband discovers them...McCain is impeached
  •  
    Undecided

U.S. election 2008

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
no offense to all my friends here, but america really scares me...

You know what's really scarry ?
McCain is what, 70 years old, and this is how he acts after having been around all of that time & having seen the things he has ?
He hasn't exactly been someone sheltered away from the world, hell he's got houses in in more places than some people have even been to.

Quote:
your electoral system is strange beyond belief, it's incredibly long-winded and wasteful in terms of resources

I agree with that. By the time the actual election comes around, I think a lot of people are just thinking "Come the f%*# on already, I just want to vote and get this over with !"

Quote:
Obama, on the other hand, seems to me far more likely to get taken out, possibly even before he becomes president. (Many of my friends/ acquaintances just don't believe that America is ready to take the notion of being guided by a black man.

If Obama does make it into office, he'll probably be one of the most heavily guarded presidents in history.
If he makes it into office, and gets re-elected, it will be a major step forward for that situation though.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mitch77
  • mitch77

Post 3+ Months Ago

Arnold, James wrote:
Maybe Palin will raise taxes on the oil industry like she did in Alaska!
-------------------------
I love that!

1st Dem's try to make something of Palin's daughter being pregnant when
they crucified Dan Quayle for saying the same thing was bad on Murphy Brown.

*AND* meanwhile their candidate is a lying bas... was born out of wedlock.

NOW libs want to compare dems and republicans concerning the threat of raising taxes !!!

Really? LOL

And Barry (never run anything including his own household)
is scurrying around saying.."I've got more experience because I have
lots of people working on my campaign."

(She really sounds like a typical sleazeball pol- I hate her already!!!) ;-)

This is from an Alaskan....you are not going to get the truth from the TV.
Here it is from a resident of the state.

I'm not trying to change anyone's vote...just thought this was a good read and tells us something about her history. ~meg~

Well now I'm getting emails from several of you with enthusiasm and curiosity and even doubts about our wonderful - awesome governor who is now running for vice president.

Ok! You want to know a little bit about her: when she became governor she released the cooks and hired help in the governor's mansion in Juneau.
She told them she does her own cooking (and also has two teenage daughters who cook) plus she cleans and shops for groceries.

She also did NOT get a"driver". She drives herself everywhere.

She sold the governor's private lear jet and put that money back into the state.

She felt her husband made the right decision to keep his blue collar job in Prudoe Bay; after she became governor. It was his decision, and she supported him.

She didn't take her kids out of the school they attend in Wasilla (their home town which is 30 miles north of Anchorage) and didn't sell their home there either.

She is very active in her children's school activities. Her husband's snowmobile races, loves to fish, is pro life, and pro guns. She was given a baby shower (huge) and gave everything (money and gift cards included) to babies in need and charities.

Shes a runner, hikes, ride snowmobiles, fishes, hunts, changes diapers, breast feeds her baby, and still runs the government up here with an iron fist. (proved that - getting back to work 2 days after her baby was born last April - taking the baby with her - and not hiring a nanny to take care of the baby)
She is a tough cookie.

Staunch in her beliefs and challenges. She is also very competitive.
Which has helped her advance in her political career. She is extremely intelligent and very well read.

She has been in the middle of blowing "corruption in our government and oil companies" wide open; up here.
Several people are now serving time in prison in the lower 48; as a result.

That's just a start with the stories of our beloved Sarah Palin. If it happens that we lose her to the vice presidency, we will miss her tremendously and will keep our fingers crossed that whoever takes her place as governor; will carry on business up here, half as well as she has!

So she is a hard working, non-elitest, strictly honest, multitasker who puts criminals in jail even if they are in her own party. And she puts the interests of the state 1st, giving actual help to the needy instead of lip service. What a vile creature! Is it any wonder the libs hate her?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow! I feel as though I just got faxed today's talking points from the RNC.
  • mitch77
  • mitch77

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOW what a great retort!

It implies the facts above are in question
without actually addressing anything.

Gotta love that libs think insinuation and ridicule are some sort of truth.
That's why you guys think the Daily Show is educating you.

Meanwhile Barry O has a site listing his constant flow of bald faced lies that is run by democrats.
http://www.audacityofhypocrisy.com/fashion-shows/

Of course I know better than to believe any of the faithful would consider reading both sides of an issue.
Only conservatives do that. That is, after all, how they became conservatives.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

mitch77 wrote:
WOW what a great retort!

It implies the facts above are in question
without actually addressing anything.

Gotta love that libs think insinuation and ridicule are some sort of truth.
That's why you guys think the Daily Show is educating you.

Meanwhile Barry O has a site listing his constant flow of bald faced lies that is run by democrats.
http://www.audacityofhypocrisy.com/fashion-shows/

Of course I know better than to believe any of the faithful would consider reading both sides of an issue.

mitch77, I'm not sure what you're talking about or why you are so hostile. You've clearly come by this site to make your 2nd post in 4 years to talk AT us. I didn't ridicule you or insinuate anything. These are more "facts" than I've ever seen in one place about Mrs. Palin.

mitch77 wrote:
Arnold, James wrote:
Maybe Palin will raise taxes on the oil industry like she did in Alaska!
-------------------------
I love that!

Who the hell is James Arnold? Is that you?

mitch77 wrote:
1st Dem's try to make something of Palin's daughter being pregnant when
they crucified Dan Quayle for saying the same thing was bad on Murphy Brown.

First of all, Mr. Obama has been quoted repetitively for his defense of Mrs. Palin and her family.

Secondly, if we go back 16 years to what Mr. Quayle said...
Quote:
"It doesn't help matters," Quayle complained, when Brown, "a character who supposedly epitomizes today's intelligent, highly paid professional woman" is portrayed as "mocking the importance of fathers, by bearing a child alone, and calling it just another 'life-style choice.' "

I really don't see what the connection is.

I wish the Dem's would make an issue of this. Mrs. Palin clearly wants to intercede in the educations of young adults by denying them real sex-ed. Instead she only wants to tell them to abstain.

mitch77 wrote:
*AND* meanwhile their candidate is a lying bas... was born out of wedlock.

I guess you're saying "lying bastard"? So, we can't question Mrs. Palin, but you can say enlightened things like that?

mitch77 wrote:
NOW libs want to compare dems and republicans concerning the threat of raising taxes !!!

Who is this? Could you quote a source? I haven't read anyting about that.

It is common during and after wars to raise taxes to pay for the event. That's always happened. Especially when it's so expensive.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02846.html
Quote:
Former White House economic adviser Lawrence Lindsey reckoned that the conflict would cost $100 billion to $200 billion; Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld later called his estimate "baloney." Administration officials insisted that the costs would be more like $50 billion to $60 billion.

Current estimate have the cost of this war reaching over 1 TRILLION dollars. Should we just borrow this from China?

mitch77 wrote:
And Barry (never run anything including his own household)
is scurrying around saying.."I've got more experience because I have
lots of people working on my campaign."

Actually, he came up through Chicago politics which is one helluva lot tougher than Alaskan politics. I was a person who questioned Mr. Obama's credentials at the behest of John McCain. So, am I not aloud to question Mrs. Palin's as well?

mitch77 wrote:
This is from an Alaskan....you are not going to get the truth from the TV.
Here it is from a resident of the state.

Ha! Network news won't tell you the truth, but an anonymous web posting will.

mitch77 wrote:
I'm not trying to change anyone's vote...just thought this was a good read and tells us something about her history. ~meg~

Are you ~meg~?

mitch77 wrote:
Well now I'm getting emails from several of you with enthusiasm and curiosity and even doubts about our wonderful - awesome governor who is now running for vice president.

Who's getting emails? You?

mitch77 wrote:
Ok! You want to know a little bit about her: when she became governor she released the cooks and hired help in the governor's mansion in Juneau.
She told them she does her own cooking (and also has two teenage daughters who cook) plus she cleans and shops for groceries.

So what? There are plenty of politicians who cook for themselves. I cook for my whole family. I do my own grocery shopping too. I don't feel as though these things are impositions in my life.

mitch77 wrote:
She also did NOT get a"driver". She drives herself everywhere.

Again, so what? I drive myself. Am I qualified to be the VP?

mitch77 wrote:
She sold the governor's private lear jet and put that money back into the state.

That was a great publicity stunt. Kudos to her on that. Our governer, here in SC brought some pigs on the floor of our legislature once. It's funny what politicians will do to get their message out.

mitch77 wrote:
She felt her husband made the right decision to keep his blue collar job in Prudoe Bay; after she became governor. It was his decision, and she supported him.

So what? My wife put me through school. Maybe my wife should be the VP.

mitch77 wrote:
She didn't take her kids out of the school they attend in Wasilla (their home town which is 30 miles north of Anchorage) and didn't sell their home there either.

This is starting to seem like filler.

mitch77 wrote:
She is very active in her children's school activities. Her husband's snowmobile races, loves to fish, is pro life, and pro guns. She was given a baby shower (huge) and gave everything (money and gift cards included) to babies in need and charities.

Great! Some of these are things my family does too. So what?

mitch77 wrote:
Shes a runner, hikes, ride snowmobiles, fishes, hunts, changes diapers, breast feeds her baby, and still runs the government up here with an iron fist. (proved that - getting back to work 2 days after her baby was born last April - taking the baby with her - and not hiring a nanny to take care of the baby)
She is a tough cookie.

Again, so what? I had a hernia repair and was back at work the next day...and it hurt like hell too. Does she enjoy long walks on the beach as well?

mitch77 wrote:
Staunch in her beliefs and challenges. She is also very competitive.
Which has helped her advance in her political career. She is extremely intelligent and very well read.

None of these are unique qualifications. I know many competitive people who are well read.

mitch77 wrote:
She has been in the middle of blowing "corruption in our government and oil companies" wide open; up here.
Several people are now serving time in prison in the lower 48; as a result.

Good for Alaska.

mitch77 wrote:
That's just a start with the stories of our beloved Sarah Palin. If it happens that we lose her to the vice presidency, we will miss her tremendously and will keep our fingers crossed that whoever takes her place as governor; will carry on business up here, half as well as she has!

Yay! Good for you guys.

mitch77 wrote:
So she is a hard working, non-elitest, strictly honest, multitasker who puts criminals in jail even if they are in her own party. And she puts the interests of the state 1st, giving actual help to the needy instead of lip service. What a vile creature! Is it any wonder the libs hate her?

All of these so-called facts are composed mainly of filler and fluff, which I don't think you actually wrote. There's very little substance here.

I'm sorry your presidential candidate has given you no reason to be motivated until now. You're obviously a happy individual</sarcasm>. Congratulations. Go vote for the person you want to vote for. More power to you.

//
Quote:

OMG! I just read that again. That's funny. Thanks for the laugh.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

mitch77 wrote:
1st Dem's try to make something of Palin's daughter being pregnant...

Actually I do think I remember Obama saying that he wasn't going to go after his opponents families. That only seems fair, it helps keep the political back stabbing low key. It was well known that Bush Jr's daughters were drunken partiers, and well known that Bill Clinton was a drug user back in the day, but that didn't seem hamper their election a whole lot.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

By the way mitch77, before you tear me a new one, I would like you to know that I worked on Ronald Reagan's campaign in 1984 as a volunteer even though I was too young to vote. Also, I've yet to vote a straight ticket in my life.

I'm exactly the type of voter that your party is trying to win over. You're not going to do that with a bunch of combative insults and inflammatory language.
  • mitch77
  • mitch77

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma is right but I am not referring to Obama as the speaker here.
At any rate I assume he is smart enough to let his proxies do the dirty work.

I confess I just pasted the 1st post as I though it was pertinent to the subject.
There was no intentional malice.

Lots of what 'digitalmedia' call filler was clearly not any sort of fact but of course libs have a tough time discerning facts as they are invested so heavily in lies.

The "filler" was just leaving the letter as I got it for the purpose of context (another area violated often by the left).

You might be surprised to learn that not one of your remarks can't be parried with facts but I have long ago learned not to bother trying to convert libs. I just expose them.

I just can't understand the willingness to elect someone who is a compulsive liar. How can you expect any good to come of it?
The libs love to say "Bush lied" when of course the head of every nation believed as he did and every top intelligence service did too. They want to believe so bad that one of their icons (Dan Rather) conspired to present fabricated letters to make Bush look bad.

Ans I know what Quayle said and I clearly remember the huge outcry from the leftist media about it that went on for days.
You have no point.

As a matter of fact almost all you say has not point accept to pick out parts of a letter that were not meant top be salient and say they are filler. DEEP!!

I am now and have almost always been an IL resident.
For you to suggest that Chicago politics is rough for a black leftist is a joke. Chi is only rough on conservatives and honest pols.

I was raised as a leftist. My father was left of Mao.
He was one of the top dems in the us and was actually asked to run a dem presidential campaign. I was taken by him to see JFK as a child and I was a senate page for the dems. I became a leftist hippie and draft card burner in the 70's.
Then I discovered one of the major tenants I was told all my life was a BIG FAT LIE. For I was always told that communism was just another system no better or worse than our own. But I hitched all over EU and went behind the iron curtain. SURPRISE! It was hell on earth.
I reasoned that if my parents and teachers were soooo very wrong about that what else were they misleading me on?

I decided to read BOTH sides on every issue from then on. I further decided that I would not allow myself to become emotionally invested in any point of view and I got a degree in radio and TV and worked in 2 max watt stations. I got a minor in rhetorical analysis and specialized in logic and reason.
All the while diligently reading.

Anyone who does this (honestly) will not stay a liberal long.
As Winston Churchill said"....any man who is not a conservative when he is older has no brains".

Perhaps you might ask, for instance, why the dems won't let us force Iraq to pay off their debt as they were meant to. They have the money to do it. Haven't heard that covered by the media have ya? Ever wonder why.

Perhaps you might look into some of the actual scientific studies done proving the constant leftist bias in the media...not books of opinions but the critical studies. Proving the media uses language, omission, invective, etc etc to manipulate public opinion.

Then you might also consider that every single study on the subject of brainwashing says essentially that if you are told a lie often enough no amount of IQ will shield you from swallowing that lie.
ONLY intentional effort to find both sides of an issue will keep you from being deceived.

For a conservative to hear only the right means almost no TV, no radio, and no paper accept the few. It is absurdly tough to do and so most of us hear the left all the time. But we study.

And BTW, If you think any of my bio is false I would be more than happy to make you a fat wager on it an supply the proof.
http://www.gravesjudo.com/

Although it (of course) has no bearing on anything that I almost never post I only got here while trying to unsub from Admin emails. Saw an opportunity to shed some light (with heat) and did.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right
to tell people what they do not want to hear.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth
is a revolutionary act. --- George Orwell

It takes the highest courage to utter unpopular truths.Herbert Spencer

He who does not bellow out the truth when he knows the truth
makes himself the accomplice of liars and forgers. - Charles Peguy
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please, mitch77, do go on. :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, do go on, but please do it in a text color that is a little easier to read on the dark ozzu theme that lots of us use, just to ease the eye strain a bit.
  • mitch77
  • mitch77

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only shared about me so you could understand I have real earned perspective.
I am not the product of a right wing upbringing.
And neither am I one who rebelled against my parents point of view.
I just really really want to know the truth.
I think it is the only hope for mankind.

Your last retort was much more sensible dM
but you owe it to yourself to find 'THE' truth.
You owe it to the world,
those you love,
the future.

Bush Sr was far from a great president.
Reacting without wisdom and electing Clinton was the height of foolishness.
Bush jr really screwed the economy into the ground and did a number of really dumb things (attacking Iraq was not one)
but to vote for another man with even less regard for the truth and almost w/o question a hatred for the US is insanity.
(Not even the holy obama can sit and listen to hate filled anti-American crap from his most trusted authority figure for 21 yrs and not be brainwashed to some degree.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ... this is excellent ... I wanted to watch a movie today, but this is way more entertaining ... Gotta love the internet ...
  • eautocad
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Spring Hill, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I vote for tom sawyer. He ain't ment no harm folks.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Still mostly undecided. I know I won't vote for McCain because I just plain and simple don't like him, but Obama isn't exactly too high on my list either. And unfortunately anyone who is written in on the ballot has only the smallest, little minute chance of actually being elected as president, so that is kind of discouraging.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is voting compulsory?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, but we have the ability to do it so we shouldn't take it lightly. It kind of sucks though because it always comes down to republicans and democrats being the fore runners, even though there are really dozens of political parties in existence. But the vast majority of people think that since those two parties get the most air time on television that those are the only options. And it always makes me angry when people write in Mickey Mouse or something silly like that. Sure it is kind of a protest statement, but no matter how you look at it, thats a wasted vote.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

i do think voting should be compulsory, maybe not necessarily in the USA but certainly here in the UK. I was in Australia during their elections last year and it was pretty impressive how well run it was being that every person that was eligible to vote legally had to or they would be fined.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder if people came and got a ballot but never actually voted. Because in situations like this current US presidential election, I don't like the options listed and I can't think of a decent candidate to write in. There are going to be other important things to vote on, so I won't skip it, but the president is going to be a tough decision.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll never get a chance to sit down and speak with each candidate about things important to me, security wouldn't let me in the door.
So technically that makes everything I know about them hearsay.

Hearsay is normally inadmissible as evidence in court, why should it be of any importance in an election ?

The responsible, or honest, thing for me to do in this situation, would be not vote and encourage others not to vote either.

Quote:
He who does not bellow out the truth when he knows the truth
makes himself the accomplice of liars and forgers. - Charles Peguy

Well this Charles character is either sexist, or only knows half of the story.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Speaking of quotes, I thought this was an interesting quote from Herman Goering in his Nuremburg jail cell. I think I heard Jessie Ventura reffer to it.

Quote:
Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the
bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them
they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of
patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in
any country.
  • Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: down a creek without a paddle

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sound like 9/11 any body?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

excellent quote, dM. And both our presidents (re previous discussion) used the tactic flawlessly... does work every time, doesn't it? :D

i know america does not equal the white house - heck, there ain't no nation in the world where all the people agree with all the political decisions made by the government. politics generally make me feel uneasy - in so many ways. I was reading a novel about Afghanistan recently - Khaled Hosseini's 'The Kite Runner' - describing Afghanistan the way it was before the Russians invaded it - then during the invasion - then when the fundamentalist Taliban 'liberated it' - how the people cheered before they realised one horror was replaced with another - and then finally after the Taliban system was overthrown..... with the country still in shards, and unlikely to get better any time soon...

funny, when I think Afghanistan I imagine a desolate wasteland peppered with gun-toting fundamentalists, the occasional poppy field. and yet as recently as the late '70's, it wasn't like that at all. same with Serbia - maybe in a less drastic sense, but the country I was born in seems a million miles away from the one I'm in now - not a shred of it is left - and I'm only 29....

frightening forces.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

War has become a means for nations to dispose of their most violent citizens & humble those on the edge of insanity in a way that allows everyone to keep their dignity.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
excellent quote, dM. And both our presidents (re previous discussion) used the tactic flawlessly... does work every time, doesn't it? :D

It's unfortunate, but it does seem to have worked for some notorious leaders...and some on the 'right' side of history too.
celandine wrote:
...same with Serbia - maybe in a less drastic sense, but the country I was born in seems a million miles away from the one I'm in now - not a shred of it is left - and I'm only 29...

:shock: That's crazy that you wrote that! My son and I were looking at his atlas the other day and I was looking at eastern Europe thinking, "Wow things have changed". Heh.

joebert: Is that your quote? It's pretty cool.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I found it in a fortune cookie or something. :scratchhead:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you ever get a fortune cookie that said "Help! I'm trapped in a fortune cookie factory, call the police!" That would be flipping awesome.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man, this election has become a spectacle. It's bizzare. The nasties have come out on both sides. Maybe the debates will give this election some dignity, but I doubt it.

I can't believe the Feds are taking over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and it's only been a footnote, news-wise.

I may vote absentee and just not watch the tv for 2 months. :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

All the election news is getting a little old and annoying, it is always the first half of every news show on the major networks. Kinda makes me glad I don't have cable anymore.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
comicracy wrote:
Whats wrong with drilling in Alaska, you do realize how small the projected area in ANWR is?Look here for a comparision map. Or would you rather continue to rely on throat cutters to produce and sell us our oil while China drills off the coast. I like the lady she's a tough chick, going after corruption her own party is a good indication she doesn't mess around.

When you put it like that it seems like a good idea, it gets the whole "We can take care of ourselves !" mentality going.

The problem is that it really doesn't solve anything, it's a temporary fix that will eventually lead to expanding the area once supply there falls short, which completely negates the whole "Oh it's only a small area" argument.
It also detracts from better alternatives.

She's right on with natural gas, but drilling for oil is taking a flying leap backwards.

If you listen to what McCain and Palin both say, it is meant as a temporary measure only. It's to tide us over until alternate fuels can become refined to the point of being ubiquitous. They both admit that research and development into alternate fuels is necessary for the future of this (and every other) country. The movement to alternate fuels is not something that could possibly occur overnight, it's a time-consuming and research intensive process that will take years to reach fruition.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

This issue of drilling is always presented as an all or nothing notion. This issue is huge and complex.

Oil discovery and extraction isn't as simple as turning on a spigot. Finding oil, extracting it, transporting it and refining it does, in fact, come with environmental impacts and concerns. There are VERY powerful political interests across the globe, and in the U.S., who have a great deal riding on oil. They're not going to give it all up to be good greenies. Companies can not simply be given carte blanche to stick a hole in the ground and park a derrick wherever they please.

I don't think the scope and intricacies of the problem can be sloganized, or even easily summarized for that matter.

There's no doubt in my mind that drilling will expand. It is completely logical to increase domestic production to combat dependence. There will be legislation to expand drilling and it will be a hairy, nasty, highly controversial load of verbiage complete with pork. There's going to be language about penalties for polluters, taxes, regulations, production limits, etc. There will be competition between states, like Alaska, to maximize their output even if it means risking other resources like wildlife preserves - because those states are going to do everything they can to get the money, jobs and power that comes with oil production. Getting legislation written and signed off on by the executive branch could take a long time. In the end, there will be no resemblance to the "our way or the highway" rhetoric of political campaigns.

After that there will still be a gap of 5 to 10 years before production makes an impact on supply.

On the alternative energy front, finding Technology-X won't be the only concern, IMO. That's only one aspect of the larger problem.

If we limit ourselves to only talking about automobiles, then the Tech-X cars have to be designed, built and sold to a population of people willing to buy them. Instead of GAS stations, there will need to be Tech-X stations. There will need to be a service industry that can repair and maintain Tech-X cars. A large number of ancillary industries will be affected.

Thoroughly propagating alternative energies could conceivably take generations.

But we're not only talking about energy for cars. We're also talking about a variety of products that are petroleum based. Things that are well ingrained in our economies and cultures.

The extremists on both side of this issue do it and us a disservice by trying to marginalize and manipulate our understanding of the problem. I'm a little tired of one side trying to put fear in my head while the opposition tries to cram sunshine up my arse.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 101 posts