So, it's election time again

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the UK we are to elect our new Prime Minister on May 6th. This vote is something i have looked forward to for a long time largely because i was never impressed with the way in which our current PM Gordon Brown was elected a few years ago.

I am quite interested in hearing what any UK members here think about the election also if there are any thoughts from abroad?

Without stating how i support, i really don't favour the main parties. I have no doubt that the elections will have a low turnout just like previous elections as there are many people here who have simply decided that they just don't care anymore. I want everyone to vote, in fact i really wish we would follow in the footsteps of the Australians and make voting compulsory.

The good thing about this election though is they have got TV debates for the first time in such a long time. It's going to be great to see how these leading politicians cope live on TV when answering questions that people want to know.

Roll on 6th May.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I (and most Americans) don't really understand UK\British government. You are in Scotland, which is a different country than England, but both are Great Britain. The queen is your most important political figure, but she doesn't really run the country she is only ceremonial and traditional. Canada, Australia, and New Zealand (I think) also recognizes the queen but they aren't part of Great Britain. Is that accurate? Thats kind of confusing, I know a lot of that has to do with European history but they don't teach that real well in American schools.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't really understand it either until I just looked it up in Wikipedia. It does a surprisingly good job of explaining it simply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_o ... ed_Kingdom
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest, i really don't know where to start explaining it. It makes sense to me obviously being from here but i could go into detail about why i don't like how it is right now.

You mention i live in Scotland yet we have UK law. Yes and no, we do but then devolution came along just over 10 years ago and as a result the Scottish government has control over some of the laws here while also having alot of the UK laws. The interesting thing is that there is actually alot of laws that you get in England and Wales that are so different to the ones you get in Scotland.

I want that to change though, but that is a completely different discussion.

The UK elections are important for everyone here though, including Scotland as that government still decides on the budget for Scotland, the taxes and pretty much all of the other small things that add up to one huge thing.
  • rayjasper0211
  • Born
  • Born
  • rayjasper0211
  • Loc: philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

same here in the philippines... national election by May, tired of hearing and seeing politician damn lies...

:hmm:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

rayjasper0211 wrote:
same here in the philippines... national election by May, tired of hearing and seeing politician damn lies...

:hmm:

I'm tired of tea baggers. Not far from where I live across the border in Idaho some red neck fired his shot gun into the air when a census person came on his property. First of all, if you don't want to talk to the census people then don't answer your door when they knock. Second, even if a democrat had not won the election we would still be doing the same census, it is not some grand liberal conspiracy.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

For anyone in the UK interested the first televised leader debate is on in just under and hours time on ITV (STV in Scotland).

Really looking forward to seeing what crap they all come up with now.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh I can't wait any longer for the National Achiever Congress which will be held this Friday. It is a 3-day congress and Tony Blair is one of the speakers.

I don't know much about him but so far, he seems awesome. Labor Party as well...
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Third and final debate is on TV tonight. With the election just one week away it's a pretty big deal.

It's been quite interesting because the last two debates have benefited the Liberal Democrats more than any of the other parties. Before the debates the favourites for the election appeared to be the Conservatives with Labour more or less having no chance. Labour still are struggling and will do pretty poorly come election day. It is quite likely there will be a hung parliament, basically meaning that there will be no majority winner.

It was funny yesterday in the news because the current Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, forgot he still had a mic on him after meeting people in a town in England. As the car he was in was driving away it recorded him calling her "a bigot". This woman was a life long labour fan and was stunned when she heard what he had said. It is just stunning to see a politician make that big a mistake, especially 1 week before the election. The damage is done now, Brown is definitely not going to be re-elected now. Good riddance.

Final debate is 20:30hrs BST on BBC 1.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The time at the moment is 00:35 which means it is now polling day.

The thing I love about the elections this year is how not one party looks to be a clear winner. There was alot of talk about there being a 'hung parliament' which appeals to most people however it does have it's set backs. I am actually not keen on any of the main parties, their policies suck so much especially for people that live in Scotland.

May the best man win. The next 48 hours are going to be really interesting. Will the UK have a new prime minister on Friday? Only time will tell.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is now over. Very interesting result actually. First time in decades there has been a hung parliament, meaning no party had a majority vote, so i believe as things stand unfortunately the prime minster will remain Gordon Brown in the meantime despite his party not having the majority in this minority government.

Because Labour were running the country before they have priority over the conservatives to arrange a deal with another party to form a coalition government. Even by forming a coalition government they still won't have a majority, however the conservatives can form a majority government via a coalition if they can convince more than the Liberal Democrats to pair up.

It's probably not the best outcome considering the current economic climate, especially with the kinda cut backs that were being discussed before the elections and also with the news of Greece more or less going bankrupt. Things could have been better.

Very interesting bit of news though and it'll be interesting to see how things pan out over the next few weeks. I would love it if they were to hold another election this year, which is a possibility, however i am not holding my breath.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I watched the first debate, and found Gordon Brown made sense that; if the UK government pulled out, the investment of 6 billion pound now, there won't have enough financial support for employment and investments for the people. That's going to aggregate the economic downfall.

If I remembered correctly what I watched last week.

Today, a friend spoke - and I attempt to conclude now, " I think it isn't really UK per se ", doesn't perform well - based on my understanding after hearing what he said and now that remembering UK election first debate.

I found out from [friend] his explanation that it was europe; Greece, Spain, Iceland (I can't remember 2 more countries) from europe that the GDP of the countries mentioned, fell a lot. Dow Jones dropped by 300 points ??

I don't know if I remembered correctly, today, and Malaysian's Stock dropped 100 points, he said.

He is an accountant, doing his CFA, by the way.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The stocks have been understandably affected as a result of this election. Basically there is no majority party, which means in order for a government to be properly formed there has to bee some dealing between the main parties.

Gordon Brown, to his credit, was good enough to accept that the Conservatives should have the right to first speak to the Liberal Democrats in order to form a coalition government. The law states that he should be the person first negotiating with the Liberal Democracts because he was the Prime Minister going into the election. The Conservatves won the most seats though, so they can be seen as the winners of the election. IN order for them to form a government they need to agree with the Liberal Democrats what sort of policies they can introduce that both parties will be happy with. It's quite a good thing because it means potentially we could have a bit of both parties policies going into the new government. If negotiations fail though the Labour Party will then discuss with Liberals what they can do to make things work.

Like i said before, there is also a small chance that there could be another election called within the next few weeks which would then give each party a chance to form a majority government. Ideally this is the best option for the country and the economy, however there are not alot of people who feels that a majority government is a good thing because all of the main parties are talking about massive cuts to public spending over the coming years. For people in Scotland though having a Conservative government is even worse as the cuts they are talking about are going to affect people more up in Scotland than those in England.

I expect to see the Conservatives come into agreement with the Liberal Democrats over the coming days and David Cameron will become the new Prime Minister of the UK.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Still no majority government, but i expect that to change within the next 24 hours. I say this because Gordon Brown has just resigned as PM with immediate effect and suggests the Conservative leader David Cameron becomes the new PM. It's almost certain that this will be the case now.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts