• No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh wow it really is just a single battery. I thought it was the old wrap 4 batteries inside a D shell trick.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow what a sham! This is why business and manufacturers need regulating -- hold up a carrot with dollar signs on it and any sense of personal responsibility they might have is instantly disposable.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really see any problem with them selling a AA as a D. Both of sizes of battery have the same voltage and a lot more stuff is produced that uses the AA size than uses the D size, so it seems like a good business move to make only AA size batteries and some plastic "adapters" instead of AA and D batteries. Really thats all that plastic part is is an adapter to fit a AA battery in the space for a D.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

They might carry the same voltage, but they don't carry the same capacity. The point is that by paying the same for Energizer's D as the competition, you're losing a great deal of capacity, making it pointless to buy the larger size in the first place.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"adapting" the AA to fit in a D slot is fine, but they're charging 4x more than their AA counterpart. That's the issue, the ethical standpoint. It has nothing to do with the voltage. If the capacity of a D is the same as an AA, the D battery will last far less time because it's created for something that requires more power; you put D batteries in a boom box so you don't have to replace them every day. If you put an AA battery in a boom box, guess what you'll be doing every day. Kinda shystey. And yet they're one of the top battery companies in the US.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

That says they are 2500mah batteries, I've been out of the battery loop for a while but I know that regular old nickel D cells don't carry that much juice. I remember using entire battery packs like for an RC car of NiMH cells that had only that much capacity for projects in school.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I've been out of the battery loop for a while but I know that regular old nickel D cells don't carry that much juice

2500 is WAY under standard for D

Quote:
Capacity

Because of their larger size, which allows them to store a greater mass of anode material (an electrode that is consumed as it supplies electrical current), the D sized battery can supply power for a longer time than C, AA or AAA cells at equal current levels.

In some cases, rechargeable D batteries have significantly less capacity (as low as 1,800 mAh) than the primary or single use non-rechargeable type because they are internally only an AA or C cell. Many, however, are made as true D cells with greater capacities than their alkaline counterparts and any C or AA battery.

Battery type Typical capacity in mAh
AA 2,400
C 7,800
D 12,000

from wikipedia

mfs pretty much nailed it - I'd be ok with the idea if they weren't charging as much as competitors do for batteries with 5x the capacity. That's taking advantage of consumers who don't take the time to read the label and understand what they get, and then go back to regular batteries because they last a lot longer than the rechargeables they bought.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts