English UK vs English US

• tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was talking to my friend about a website me and him have started and its called forum centre but that's English uk the us for is forum center what should I uses uk or us?? and in the site for words that are spelt differently?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would use center, since it makes more sense when it comes to 'fonics', if you know what I mean. Someone who isn't good reading English would pronounce the 'tre' as if it were the number 3 in Italian.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who is your target audience? If UK, then use UK, otherwise use US
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't the target anyone who wants to read it? That's who my target would be.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

yar like don2007 said anyone who wants it!
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your target is everyone; Define "everyone".

What are you selling?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Isn't the target anyone who wants to read it? That's who my target would be.

I see the target audience as the people you would prefer to approach your site. So if you'd like Americans to be the people you are focusing on then choose "center".

It also depends on what service it is you are also offering and who it is for.

Me personally would use the American spelling as you would be targeting a larger audience. I believe it's spelt the same in Canada too so you'd also be looking at getting people on board from the whole of North America.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I have to define everyone, there is a big problem.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Again, what are you selling, what is the content about? Is a search engine, social networking site, a linkster? Are you planning to make revenue with ads or services? Where will the site be marketed by means other than the internet?

Give us something to go on. What makes it soooo universal?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
If I have to define everyone, there is a big problem.

I think we all know the definition of "everyone" Don. I am wondering (and I think a few others are too) is how you or tatsysite or anyone for that matter would put up a website without having a target audience that is more specifically defined, based on the content of the site. I'll agree that "everyone" could be a target audience, but it's going to be infrequent if your site markets a specific service or product, or even geographic location.

As it stands right now, none of us knows what tastysite's "forum centre" site is about. Very hard to offerr specific advice pertaining to the actual question without knowing that, or as I asked originally without knowing the target audience.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Leave it to the UK to go and butcher our language with their crazy reversed letters and extra u's!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Leave it to the UK to go and butcher our language with their crazy reversed letters and extra u's!

Lest you forget, we originated from the UK and spoke the King's English once upon a time.

Methinks we are the butchers of the King's English *wink
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
spork wrote:

Lest you forget, we originated from the UK and spoke the King's English once upon a time.

Methinks we are the butchers of the King's English *wink

Thank you :D
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am pretty sure spork was just joking lol ;)

I would say for your website stick to the US English version of center if you are attracting a global audience and nothing country specific. If you look at these stats of what countries have the most people online:

http://www.internetworldstats.com/top20.htm

You will see that the US far exceeds the UK.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Methinks spork dost use irony as a device of literature.
:)

I've had to do this before, switching the little differences, that is...

organize vs. organise
color vs. colour
aluminum vs. aluminum...oh wait...that's just pronounced differently.

//No, wait that is spelled differently...(aluminium)

ok, schedule vs. schedule instead.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since the site is going to be in English, the target is English speaking people. If the person reading the site speaks English as his first language, he will understand both spellings. If English is his second language, then 'center' is a much better choice for pronunciation reasons.

Let's take an example in Spanish. Voy a Habana. Any person who speaks Spanish for his first language knows where Habana is but to reach someone who's second language is Spanish, I better say Havana. Now everyone knows where I'm going.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The target audience is English speaking people yeah, however in order to find the site people using a search engine will only really find the site through one of the spellings. For that reason alone i'd use the American spelling as it is the more commonly used English around the world.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's another good reason to use center.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol wow cool stuff! I only asked because its the url of the site if it was just a word in the site then ok just leave it but with the url if its uk spelling then only uk English spelling of the world would work and backwards I may just buy 2 urls! keep thing simple!

--

You know it me be a good thread to start this as some kind of "words that are different even though we are meant to be speaking the same language"!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

We had the same kind of thread going once with gray vs grey.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to do it "right", you should look into Content Negotiation or something along the same lines designed for your own http server, and return what the browser asks for.

Content Negotiation is a blanket term used by Apache administrators which refers to the Apache mod_negotiation modules functionality. This functionality generally consists of reading and reacting to the Accept-* headers all modern browsers send with their request.

People in the US will generally be sending an Accept-Language HTTP header with a value of en-us, and I'm not entirely sure, but I believe people in the UK will be sending the same header with a value of en-gb.
  • theBruney
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

English from England.
  • Underneath
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Though I prefer to use Traditional English from the The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, I think here the american variant - Center - would be better, because this is more widely used way of spelling, as american english and its modifications are understood and used in almost any part of the world.
  • cichlid
  • Born
  • Born
  • cichlid

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unless you have specifc reasons to code for different regions, I personally I think you should use your own first language. If you start to translate or convert small parts you are merely bastardising your own language.
The language spoken in the US should be renamed American really as it is always morphing away from its original roots of the Kings/Queens English.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to your theory, English in Jamaica should be renamed Jamaican, in Guyana to Guyanese, Spanish in all the Spanish speaking countries to reflect the name of the country, Portuguese in Brazil to Brazilian and Italian in Sicily to Sicilian.

You have a lot of work to do.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Sicily to Sicilian.

That would just be sicil-y

bu-dump-tsh! :P
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahahahahahah cutest post I've seen in a long time :D very sweet, SB.

There's a grammatical definition of when languages stop being variants/ dialects of the same language and become a language in their own right. For political reasons languages in my region (Western Balkans) have been named after their states, but this is grammatically preposterous because we all still understand each other 98% when we speak. So I'm a marvelous polyglot, speaking Serbian, Croatian, Montenegrin, and Bosnian.................. too bad it's all one language.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't the division that you are describing only start about 30 years ago when Tito died? I worked with a lot of people from there, actually most of them were from Kosova so they mostly spoke Albanian, but I never heard of that division on the Yugoslavian side.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think an easy solution would be to purchase both domains and have one redirect to the other that way you can stick with one whether it's 'center' or 'centre' and still get visitors that may distinguish between the two URLs.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you think your target audience would have a preference, pick that one and be consistent.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 43 posts