English to Spanish

• Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok here is a question I have..
Example
I download a program, and is in inglish, and I want the menu and all to be in spanish.

now is there any way that I can download a plugin or something that makes the manu become spanish without having to download the whole program in the spanish version?

thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends on the program.. Some have multi-language support, some don't.

It's entirely up to the programmer. Applications I write are only in English. That's the only language I speak, so it's the only language I create software for.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My company is developing multi language versions of on of our products. We've got people providing the translations, the user gets promted to choose the language when he/she installs.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

See, now I could never trust anybody to translate my stuff...

I'd give them a list of words & sentences, etc. And they could be giving me back local-lingo version of the non-illustrated Kama Sutra for all I know ;)

Although, in PHP based scripts, I have been creating language files, where users can define a different language, although they have to create those language files themselves :)
  • twiztit_momma
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: SanLeon Tx

Post 3+ Months Ago

im going to sound stupid here,u can copy and paste it in a translator

http://world.altavista.com/
translate text or web pages between various languages.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

When we looked into it for our software, we found that we could trust human translators better than software ones. The real problem is coloquialisms, slangs, and dialects. For instance Mexican Spanish and European Spanish, European French and Canadian French...it can be somewhat tricky.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, it's the dialects that throw you dM, you're right. If I asked somebody to translate something into Spanish, I wouldn't know which "version" of Spanish I'd be getting back. :)

Most of my PHP scripts have...

Code: [ Select ]
define ('SCR_LANG', 'eng');

Then wherever language files are called...

include 'lang/'.SCR_LANG.'.php';
include 'lang/'.SCR_LANG.'/whatever.php';
  1. include 'lang/'.SCR_LANG.'.php';
  2. include 'lang/'.SCR_LANG.'/whatever.php';

That kind of thing. Then if somebody wants to make a new language, they can simply copy the directory, and edit their dupes of the language files.

Of course, modifying the "SCR_LANG" definition would be global to the entire site, but if the people running those scripts want to store some kind of user profiles, or simply have a "switch language" feature on their site storing the browser's chosen language in a local cookie, it's not hard to write code that overrides the site's default language using the method above. In its simplest form it's just an if statement.

$local_lang = pull_language_from_user_profile_or_cookie_function();
if (!$local_lang) {
 define('SCR_LANG','eng');
} else {
 define('SCR_LANG',$local_lang);
}
  1. $local_lang = pull_language_from_user_profile_or_cookie_function();
  2. if (!$local_lang) {
  3.  define('SCR_LANG','eng');
  4. } else {
  5.  define('SCR_LANG',$local_lang);
  6. }

The function pull_language_from_user_profile_or_cookie_function(); would simply be a function to find out the user's desired language via whatever method you use to store it (cookie, profile field in database, etc.) and check that it's a valid language (that it exists on the system and isn't going to throw out errors).

You can basically do the same with hard-coded programs too. I wrote similar functions for RemoteAccess BBS (anybody here remember that one?) doors back in the day with Pascal. RemoteAccess itself used language files, where a user could select which language they preferred to use, those language files were basically a data file containing typed records, and could be edited through RA's sysop proggy. I continued this tradition in a few of the addons I wrote for RA.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts