English

• Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
This has drivin me nuts for a long time.

"a HTML document" VS "an HTML document"

I want to say "an HTML" as it sounds right to me, but when the acronym is expanded I want to use "a hyper text..."

What's right when and why ?

"A' and 'an' function as the indefinite forms of the grammatical article in the English language and can also represent the number one. An is the older form (related to one, cognate to German ein; etc), now used before words starting with a vowel sound, regardless of whether the word begins with a vowel letter. Examples: a light-water reactor; an LWR; a sanitary sewer overflow; an SSO; a HEPA filter (because HEPA is pronounced as a word rather than as letters); a hypothesis; an hour; a ewe; a hero; a one-armed bandit; an heir; a unicorn."--Wikipedia

So with those rules, "an HTML document" is the correct one, same as "a European delegation", etc.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:

I want to say "an HTML" as it sounds right to me, but when the acronym is expanded I want to use "a hyper text..."

Never thought about it that way (Means that never drove me nuts :lol: ) I just used the language like that and I'm fine :lol:
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:

Doesn't exactly drive me nuts, but yes, such questions do pop up in my mind... and I always use the one which "sounds" right, like "an HTML document".

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts