Hi Englishman ! Where do you Live ?

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Geography has not been a good subject I am with. Can anyone tell me if I'm right about this?

United Kingdom consists of Wales, Scotland, England and Northern Ireland. Great Britain consists of England, Wales, Scotland except Northern Ireland.

?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are correct. Great Britain is the mainland UK. United Kingdom is also known as, and is printed on passports as, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The main island consists of Wales to the west of England, England to the south of the land and Scotland is the north. England is the largest nation with Scotland being second largest and Wales following in at third. The smallest nation in the UK is Northern Ireland.

I will add though, your topic title is "Hi Englishman", in which case i should not have replied to this as i am Scottish :)
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a English man.. but used to live in Scotland (in-between Glasgow and Edinburgh and then in Dundee).. and would have to say that I do miss the mountains.. but prefer the English weather..
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi genux, awesome. I heard people say the weather in Great Britain is mostly wet and cold? wearing boots always. . .?

I have reasons asking so many questions about English people. I just don't want to disclose at this moment.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it the English or British you want to know about?

The whole British thing is quite a sensitive subject with me. I think you'll find there are alot of people like myself who are from Scotland who may feel the same.

I found your comment about the weather interesting genux. I guess it all depends on where you are in Scotland for your comment to be valid. I say that because if you take for example the recent cold snap you'll find that most parts of England had it worse than some parts of Central Scotland - precisely where you used to live.

In the summer you definitely have hotter weather than we have in Scotland, but there is the odd day where that may not be the case. Another example of this was last year during Wimbledon, the weather in London was a million times better than it was in Edinburgh. Whilst it was still hottish in Edinburgh it was particularly sunny in London at the time. We did get a few dayts like that, but it appeared to be 2 weeks constant in London which was good for you guys. I am going to guess you live towards the south of England right now, yeah?

George, it's not uncommon for foreigners i know to mention how we seem to have 4 seasons in one day. So the weather can be interesting at times.
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB, I live in Norwich at present and on the whole, the weather in Scotland really was not that bad.. just the common joke that Scottish weather is worse than "down south"... we did pop up to near Edinburgh for xmas for a week to stay with the in-laws.. me and my family really did enjoy the snow :) and the gritters are out allot more than down south I would say without doubt.

Was you born in Scotland or did you move there ?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was born in Scotland. Not in Edinburgh, i'm originally from Aberdeen. I moved here (for the second time) in August 2008. I love this city.
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah.. Edinburgh is a really nice city. Norwich is very very very flat and again I really do miss the hills, one of the houses that we lived in Dundee you could just see the hills all round us and you knew when it was going to rain because you could see the rain clouds brewing on the hills.... really do miss that house in Dundee.. loved the view and the house it self... (the house was a old farm house.. massive front room which my daughter loved!! )

Oh yeah.. also miss Cosco lol. the America pizza's are great !!!.. used to goto the one on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

Never did goto Aberdeen, we was going to head up there for a bit (stay in a hotel etc) but we moved back down south. Would you recommend heading to Aberdeen ?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Me personally?

I grew up in Aberdeenshire, went to the city quite often and cannot say i ever did rate the place. However i know some people who visit love the city. I guess it's because it was the city i spent my life in and around for 20 years, i just needed a change and for that reason i don't really think of it too much if you know what i mean.

I am surprised you never made it up though because Dundee is not even an hours drive from Aberdeen :lol:
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

genux wrote:
Oh yeah.. also miss Cosco lol. the America pizza's are great !!!.. used to goto the one on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

Next to Ikea?
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers for the reply...

We just did not head up in that direction, was only in Dundee for about 3-4 months before heading back to Norwich..

Places that we went to was mainly around Glasgow/Edinburgh/Perth/Dundee/Inverness...

Off topic - What OS do you use ?
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah. next to Ikea and Sainbuires.
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

you could get your fuel (Sainburies) food (Cosco) and general house stuff (Ikea) all from the same place :). .it was great..
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

genux wrote:
Off topic - What OS do you use ?

Even more off topic than we already were? :lol:

Windows Vista.
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah.. I suppose it was slightly off topic already.. lol

I am a linux man myself, so was just wondering..
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose the avatar did not give it away!!
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like Spice Girls.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Is it the English or British you want to know about?

The whole British thing is quite a sensitive subject with me. I think you'll find there are alot of people like myself who are from Scotland who may feel the same.

I found your comment about the weather interesting genux. I guess it all depends on where you are in Scotland for your comment to be valid. I say that because if you take for example the recent cold snap you'll find that most parts of England had it worse than some parts of Central Scotland - precisely where you used to live.

In the summer you definitely have hotter weather than we have in Scotland, but there is the odd day where that may not be the case. Another example of this was last year during Wimbledon, the weather in London was a million times better than it was in Edinburgh. Whilst it was still hottish in Edinburgh it was particularly sunny in London at the time. We did get a few dayts like that, but it appeared to be 2 weeks constant in London which was good for you guys. I am going to guess you live towards the south of England right now, yeah?

George, it's not uncommon for foreigners i know to mention how we seem to have 4 seasons in one day. So the weather can be interesting at times.

English and British is not the same??
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

And Craig, no, it isn't really about the weather though. I have interests virtually about anything that UK is, in particular, England. As well as UK...and ,...England Oh... I mean why is it sensitive. ?!?!
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great Britain is the whole of the England/Scotland/Northern Ireland/Wales.. and English people are people whom are born in England, and Wales are Welsh, Scotland are Scottish and Northern Ireland are Ireish. Just a means to say where you come from. I am English and have married a Scottish lady, there is no barrier as such between each area just that these are all parts of the single Great Britian.. abit like America is made up of states.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Surprising to find that you're wrong about it. Genux, Great Britain does not include Northern Ireland.
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
Surprising to find that you're wrong about it. Genux, Great Britain does not include Northern Ireland.

I was referring Great Britain as the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", my bad!!

Just like America is shorted from "United States of America"
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

genux wrote:
George L. wrote:

I was referring Great Britain as the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", my bad!!

Just like America is shorted from "United States of America"

oh,, I see, Nothing be bad. Fine, awesome.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

But genux, isn't that, people born in England also called British man?
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

British people are people whom come from "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" in Nationality terms, but since they are part of each individual area, then I would call myself English just like my wife would call herself Scottish.. abit like in America a Texan would be Texan first and then American.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
English and British is not the same??

That is precisely why i find it a sensitve subject.

It all goes down to how people want to be known. I'd be Scottish before i was british any day, i love my country and regard my country as being Scotland and not the United Kingdom or Britain.

I think what bugs me about this, and this topic is a fine example of this, is that people see Britain as being English. For example there is this thing people overseas called the "British Accent" which to me is basically the English accent. There is no such thing as a British accent as the accents from England, Wales and Scotland are completely different. In fact, if you were to listen to someone from London speak and then listen to someone from Glasgow speak you'll see that the way people say words in both cities are completely different.

It's purely an identity thing. Deep down alot of this all stems back from the time when England and Scotland were at war with each other and i don't think this will change any time soon. I don't know anyone in Scotland who considers themselves British.

If you ever saw the movie "The Last King of Scotland" which stars Scottish actor James McIvoy early he he conounters an Englishman who says "it's nice to see another Englishman out here" to which McIvoys character says "Scottish, i am Scottish", there are so many parts in the movie where he emphasises his nationality and even explains that he would rather not be known as British.
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Totally agree with SB, it is a individual thing and cannot be generalized and a very hard topic.

And also for what the English ancestors done to the Scottish people during the war, was really not good.

I would have hated to be in a Cinerama watching "Brave Heart" in Glasgow.!!
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

no war is good...But. If we don't know war, how do we know peace?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts