Ensure TOS is Read by Embedding Password

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just had a crazy thought. What if the password a visitor had to use to login to their account was derived from instructions scattered through the TOS they had to agree to ?

For instance, after every random few sentences there could be an exerpt "(second character in your password is 'H')". It would be pretty tough to use the "I didn't know I had to read that" excuse with something like that. Someone could come up with a Firefox extension or something that extracted such passwords for users, but the very act of using such a thing would pretty much be an automatic admittance of guilt, wouldn't it ?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about make them take a quiz on the TOS before there password is emailed to them. They enter their email and if they get the quiz right, there password will be emailed to them.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

In a way, this is a quiz. A quiz that has a different random answer for everyone. :D
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I would hate that.
If they click accept, you have the side of the law, no?
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or you could be clear and concise in your verbiage and make references to more spelled out terms of the agreement.

It is a shame that there is SO MUCH paperwork to do ANYTHING.
The better the understanding of BOTH parties in the transaction, the more likely the customer is to PREFER your business and, thus, make his/her preferences known to others.
Ideally, sitting down and talking to them about the agreement would be used to ensure an understanding of the agreement; however, on such a large scale(downloads or large geographical area purchasing) business model it would not likely be feasible to address each customer's concerns...
it is a choice: customer support(personally interacting with customers to work with them and for the agreed expectations) vs. large number of customers.
How much attention is each customer worth to your business?

(I believe)There exists a responsibility of someone selling software to be accountable for its performance. "As is" can be an excessively "catch-all" phrase for good or bad.
For instance, if software is developed using freeware and incorporating freeware, its performance may lack the scrutiny applied to code developed inside the company.
What level of "bugs/glitches" is acceptable?
Is there any guarantee that the software does not exhibit "spyware"-like behavior?
Is there any guarantee that it does not exhibit data tracking behavior?
As a customer I would expect a STRICT policy for privacy...yet I find not many products adhering to such standards.
Registration and automatic downloads are inconspicuous "defaults."

What remedies are there for software which does NOT do what it claims/portends it is able to do?

rant rant rant

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts