• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check it out:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4202901/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032118/

Rover confirms Mars’ watery past - Opportunity finds clues in geologic record, sparking speculation about ancient alien life.

NASA scientists have found enough evidence of water on Mars to believe that the area around the Opportunity rover was once awash with the wet resource.

The rover's Meridiani Planum landing site shows telltale signs that water once covered the area, then gradually evaporated away. In a much-anticipated press conference from NASA Headquarters in Washington, scientists said that body of water might have once been the size of one of North America's Great Lakes.

"We think we've found enough evidence at the Opportunity site that liquid water was in abundance for some period of time," Benton Clark III, a Mars Exploration Rover team member, said in a telephone interview prior to the press conference.

What is still unanswered is how long the liquid water lasted and whether any remains today."

Scientists have long known that Mars was warmer and wet in ancient times. Few disagree that running water carved many of the huge canyons and other gullies and river-bed features seen in countless photographs of the Red Planet. Significant amounts of water ice also sit frozen at both of Mars' poles.

Evidence of water is not only a critical factor in whether life may have arisen on Mars. The availability of water may be important in any future manned exploration of the Red Planet.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been interested in this for awhile and have always been amazed at how there is polar ice caps on Mars which means there is water on the planet but they have no proof. How much proof do you need? How does Mars having any water or not benefit us? It is interesting to see this unfold.
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Québec

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice, now this is going to accelerate the Manned Missions projects. :robot:
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

but can they explain why the water evaporiated or why there is very little atmosphere on Mars? Also in the report it said that mars is 1.7 times the distance the sun is from earth, so Mars is 2.7 times the distant from the sun than earth is. What would be the average temp on the surface, I would assume it is a lot colder there than our Ice caps here on earth. Also I remember hearing somewhere that Mars has a slower rotation than earth so the days would be longer (27 hrs or something like that) anyways I keep watching the events unfold :twisted:
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
I have been interested in this for awhile and have always been amazed at how there is polar ice caps on Mars which means there is water on the planet but they have no proof. How much proof do you need? How does Mars having any water or not benefit us? It is interesting to see this unfold.

i'm no scientist, so this may be a silly thought :oops: but i suppose those polar caps could be made of something other than water?

mark
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Québec

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
but i suppose those polar caps could be made of something other than water?

H2o is H2o, on Earth, Mars or elsewhere theirs no difference, if they found water its H2o, maybe mixed up with other elements but still H2o, same as Earth.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

ModernDestroyer wrote:
but can they explain why the water evaporiated or why there is very little atmosphere on Mars? Also in the report it said that mars is 1.7 times the distance the sun is from earth, so Mars is 2.7 times the distant from the sun than earth is.

This would suppurt the idea of an ever-expanding universe. If all the planets in out solar system are explosion fragments of our sun, and the universe is ever-expanding, mars may very well have been "in earths shoes" about the time earth was born.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Technically, the polar icecaps are comprised of frozen C02, in the form of a "dry ice"; or so go the popular theories.

A martian year is 687 Earth days (669 Mars days), and a day is approx. 24 hours and 47 minutes.

Mars' orbit is eccentric, so there are times when it is closer to the sun with a maximum temp of 27C during "summer".
  • myemailaccount
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • myemailaccount
  • Loc: North of Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am soo into space Its only a matter of time until we are the age of startrek
Scientists belive that in year 3000 the average life span will be about 200 years
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
ModernDestroyer wrote:
but can they explain why the water evaporiated or why there is very little atmosphere on Mars? Also in the report it said that mars is 1.7 times the distance the sun is from earth, so Mars is 2.7 times the distant from the sun than earth is.

This would suppurt the idea of an ever-expanding universe. If all the planets in out solar system are explosion fragments of our sun, and the universe is ever-expanding, mars may very well have been "in earths shoes" about the time earth was born.

Actually mars would be in earths "shoes" about the 2/3 of the time between the creation of Mercury and the creation of Venus was born. However, while everything may be constantly expanding, that does not mean that Pluto was in Mercury's shoes at one time. Generally the solar system is estimated at about 4.55 billion years old, and the standing theory is that it all came to be at once.

So merely because everything is moving outwards astronomically, doesn't imply that Mercury wasn't in existence 1.52 billion years ago (4.55-[4.55*2/3]), and that earth was .5 AU's closer to the sun than it is now. It just means all of our solar systems are moving out away from the center of our galaxy, and all of our galaxies are moving out away from the center of the universe.

(correct my on my math/theoretical statements, but that is what I understand...need to get to A Brief History of Time by Hawkings one of these days.)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
However, while everything may be constantly expanding, that does not mean that Pluto was in Mercury's shoes at one time. Generally the solar system is estimated at about 4.55 billion years old, and the standing theory is that it all came to be at once.

The only way to determine this would be to get the age of all the planets. If Pluto is older then Mercury then it would mean that Pluto was "born first and started moving away from the sun and then the others were "born" and did the same thing. However, I don't think that happened either. But I also don't believe that Our solar system ended up this way in the beginning. Could it be possible that the suns gravitational pull attracted the planets we have now during the creation of the universe? Pluto is rumored to have been captured by our suns gravity. So couldn't the same be said for the other 8 planets?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not necesarily. The suns gravitational pull may have latched onto pluto, but the other planets were all created at the same time due to the ammounts of particles left over from the suns creational "blast". These particles slowly swept in orbit and collected together, and then when they got big enough they started having gravitational effects on the particles surrounding it, pulling them closer to eachother and forming larger planets until all the particles were used up.

It's complicated stuff really.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
These particles slowly swept in orbit and collected together, and then when they got big enough they started having gravitational effects on the particles surrounding it, pulling them closer to eachother and forming larger planets until all the particles were used up.

Kinda like making rock candy maybe ?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea. Same basic concept just one is based on dehydration/crystalization and the other on gravitational pull ;)
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
How does Mars having any water or not benefit us?

It benefits us because in 1 billion years when earth is too hot for human life we can all go jump on a space shuttle and go live on mars.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

1 billion? doesn't seem like were going to make it
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, with the discovery of water on mars, we may be able to find new organisms, or prove theories of evolution if we find similar organisms to what was on our planet millions of years ago.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts