Explaining the registering yourname.com to someone

• camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do you explain the importance of registering yourname.com to a non-internet savvy person?

Two years ago, I told this chick to register hername.com since it was available. She was becoming a tad famous (on a fairly popular TV show for example), and I was worried someone would register her name and she wouldn't get it. I realized she didn't have clue how to register it, and therefore I registered it for her, and waited for the day when she wanted it. Two years later that day came.

About 2 months ago, she called and finally wanted a website and wanted her domain. Without question, I offered to turn it over to her for free, and even offered free hosting. Again, this chick is computer-clueless and I don't care about the $18 I spent on the domain to hold it for her until she was ready for it.

Instead, rather than viewing it as a favor, she was upset that I would register it and thought that I should just have let it free so she could register it.

How do you explain to a regular person, that leaving a domain, unregistered, is dangerous and stupid. I think she doesn't realize that yes, someone would register her name and try to sell it back to her for $3000. "Why would someone register it - it's my name not theirs?"

I equate leaving a desireable domain unregistered to be like leaving $3000 on a park bench for any schmuk to take. If you went downtown and put $3000 on a park bench of course someone would take it. If you are on TV, and you do not register you name, of course someone will take it and try to sell it back to you. We know that, but how do I get that message across to someone that is not aware of how lucrative, underhanded and cut-throat domain-squatting is?

I have no intention of selling her domain to her for $3000 - she can have it for free, yet someone else would have. I did it to protect the name until she was ready for it - yet her lack of understanding of domain squatting makes me look like the bad guy.

Suggestions?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is she a blond by any chance ?

I think she'll come to her senses after everything gets transfered/setup/etc and she realizes you weren't trying to do anything malicious.

Then again, knowing you, did you have it parked with Adsense on it ? lol I could see how she'd be a little ticked if you've been profiting off of her name all this time.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

That happened to a singer named Trish Murphy. She went to register trishmurphy.com & it was already taken. Of course, that's a common name & it would be expected.

Send your friend the wiki link on cyber squatting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would send her an email and that link, but she doesn't have a computer. Do you see why I registered her domain name?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tell her to hire a manager & don't take the job if she offers it to you.
  • ournishani
  • ournishani

Post 3+ Months Ago

well first thing i cant understand is why you are so generous to her..second thing..if someone is getting so famous that someone else can have a domain name..then i think that person should be little tech savvy automatically..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts