fake web auction?

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.stormpay.com/stormpay/user/u ... 3Y9bCZjPTQ

At the link above, you will see an auction listing for someone selling 50 million email addresses in a text file for the bank busting cost of $5. Yes, only $5. In our office we've been trying to figure out who might have sold our complete list of email addresses to spammers, and it got me wondering how much a guy could make off that, and I stumbled upon this page. I know there is a market for this type of thing, but is this one for real? It just seems like a bit of a joke or a gag, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if it is the real deal. It seems like any self respecting spammer would know enough scripting to be able to create a big-ass dictionary file and then append on a list of known domain names, but maybe I'm wrong. And plus, the ones in this list are supposedly valid email addresses. In a dictionary file with 10,000 lines (good round number) lots of them might not be active email accounts.

What are your thoughts and observations on this page?
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

well if it isn't a joke, he should be shot!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, but it just seems so hokie you know. The seller has all good feedback so it must not be a fraud to steel your hard earned Linoln's. Unless the entire site is fake of course, which I tend to think it may be.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I had a credit card I would've bought it just to see if it actually were real, and then do a mass test to all the addresses and see how many return as positive accounts ... Just for interest's sake ... but still, these are the people that really irritate me ... lately I have been getting a spam email or 2 each day from a "canadian pharmacy" ... so annoying ...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just last weekend we got a new spam filter on our exchange server at work, and it works a bit better than the old one. Whenever anyone would complain about all the spams they were getting we would tell them we were block 7 or 8 for every one that they got, now that ratio is more like 10 or 11 to one. And this new spam filter works too good. One guy was complaining that he was trying to receive a legit email from a trusted source but the filter was notifying him that it was being deleted because of profanity, so we did a little detective work and it turned out that the profanity it was finding was the phrase "pissed off".

I was kind of thinking about buying the list too, it's only $5. But it would be just my luck that it would turn out to be a phishing thing and my identity would be stolen and I'd have jillions of dollars of debt afterwards. I suppose they probably accept paypal too, but the auction is ended so I'll never know.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

spam is evil!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts