I feel useless doing certificate IV in web design

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I started a new course at TAFE(outside Aus - Adult education collage). So first few classes i have walked in sat down and pulled out my personal laptop loaded adobe suite and got ready to learn. First week i have ended up playing Minecraft and playing on facebook while doing the class. I seam to be wasting time.....it seams but there is nothing much better to do really. There is 2 girls with one each a masters in science and Information technology. but then there is another 10 people that could be retired soon trying to get back into the field at 40-50. I have no issues in this in fact during lunch breaks i usually a few people to class i talk to giving tips.

I have been thinking in the back of my head that if someone was to jump in with no experience in HTML which 70% of the class is still trying to figure out to a acceptable degree. Now being level 4 and 1 before a diploma in web design, i don't like how i am wasting time because all the web dev classes has been put together and the pace they run at is no one left behind. The weakest person is where we will start and go from.

I have just been jumping courses and i can not find my level of skill, i am hoping to take the finial exams soon for IV and go to Diploma level just so i can get a class i can keep up with.

Being a Web master community i figured is this normal having such a skill mixed class because really i am paying to go to a building everyday and do what i was doing at home learning from home. But there is just more sociable activity's at TAFE.

oh well not long to go i guess 16 week course i expect to do in 4-6 lolol

*Happy 23rd to me today too :)*
Woot For Ozzu lol
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Happy belated birthday!

With regards to your courses you are in, I minored in CS (computer science) and I did experience that a bit, but often times with my classes you were left behind if you didn't seek extra help. So that was good for me.

Still, what I found for me is that my learning curve is much quicker when it comes to this sort of stuff, and thus most of the stuff I know today was learning on my own, whether via books, learning in the forum, learning from my mistakes, etc. I do not attribute much of what I know to the courses I took at the university.

Different people learn better different ways, and I think group classes are too slow for me and why I learn quicker on my own -- at least with anything computer related. Now a whole different topic could be different for me as I may have a more difficult time learning a subject I am not that interested in.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have one more semester left for my Bachelors degree in Information Systems and I am seriously wasting my time. I go to class one day a week, my others are online. The classes I have taken in person are absolutely retarded. I've been in IT almost 10 years, there is nothing for them to teach me at this point so I just sit there and go through the motions. Even the classes I don't have experience in are a waste since I pick things up really quickly. I speak up when necessary and at times make the professor look stupid. I've had a few professors tell me I don't need to be there and if they could they would just give me the A and let me stay home. Hopefully, the Master's program is better and I actually learn something.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
I have one more semester left for my Bachelors degree in Information Systems and I am seriously wasting my time. I go to class one day a week, my others are online. The classes I have taken in person are absolutely retarded. I've been in IT almost 10 years, there is nothing for them to teach me at this point so I just sit there and go through the motions. Even the classes I don't have experience in are a waste since I pick things up really quickly. I speak up when necessary and at times make the professor look stupid. I've had a few professors tell me I don't need to be there and if they could they would just give me the A and let me stay home. Hopefully, the Master's program is better and I actually learn something.

i can understand your point, but with me it is i can do 9/12 units and the only thing i can falling behind on is to be able to write hard code. everything but the scripting i just can't seam to wrap my head around completely. just need more training lol but i will get there eventually.
  • olioli0201
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • olioli0201

Post 3+ Months Ago

you have only one thing to do to stay patient and wait for some time when you will successfully get your degree!good luck!
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

olioli0201 wrote:
you have only one thing to do to stay patient and wait for some time when you will successfully get your degree!good luck!

been doing a lot of thinking and yes, just need to wait and wait. don't wana wait, got too much to do and that takes a good 30 hours a week from me. but i am just going to study in the background for now. i got lots of work coming up so i guess i can work while i wait for the course to finish lol.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts