FIFA World Cup

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The 2010 FIFA world cup began today in South Africa. The host nation played the first game earlier on and put on quite a credible 1-1 draw with Mexico.

As my country is not in the World Cup i am having to decide who to support. For more than one reason i am hoping New Zealand do some good however there is no hope they will go past the group stages let alone get to the World Cup Final. The tournament favourites has to be either Spain, Brazil, or even Holland. I actually quite like the look for the Holland team this year and hope they do some good.

Tomorrow night the first game for the United States is on against the English. It should be quite a good group and, being Scottish, i seriously hope the Americans beat the English. I have decided to be one of the ABE (Anyone But England) people, so hopefully they do not do well...in saying that they do have a good coach and the players to do some good this time round.

Who do you want to win? and will you be following it this year?
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

England.
  • WebExpertz
  • Born
  • Born
  • WebExpertz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think France
  • navidimran
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • navidimran

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want Brazil to win this time and make it their Hexa triumph.
  • ghdfans2010
  • Born
  • Born
  • ghdfans2010

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course Brazil.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

This here is a "No-Brainer". I've got to say the U.S.A.

Unfortunatly soccer coverage in the U.S. sucks because not many people here care about it compaired to other sports.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've only cought a few games, USA vs England and Argentina vs Nigeria, both turned out to be pretty good games. (I could be completely wrong in that. I dont watch socc... football that much :lol:) I enjoy watching the world cup, probably the only time I watch football, its just so crazy and intense. I'm always in aw at the foot work and the things the players can do. :shock:
  • httpftp21
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • httpftp21

Post 3+ Months Ago

Argentina
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
I've only cought a few games, USA vs England and Argentina vs Nigeria, both turned out to be pretty good games. (I could be completely wrong in that. I dont watch socc... football that much :lol:) I enjoy watching the world cup, probably the only time I watch football, its just so crazy and intense. I'm always in aw at the foot work and the things the players can do. :shock:

In a paper yesterday there was an photograph of the back of a New York Paper which had the headline "USA Win 1-1" followed by the sub heading "The biggest victory over the british in a long time". There was so much wrong with that headline and sub headline that it is just to cringeworthy for everyone here to look at...especially for people who live in Britain outside of England.

Somebody really needs to sort out the Media in America.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I live in the host country ... So I'll go with SA ...

Gotta tell you, that opening match was absolute madness here in SA ... I was going to a FanPark (big field with a HUGE screen), which is free and when I got there (after walking very far because there was no parking anywhere close) they told me at the gate that the park is full and i cannot go in. Went to watch it at a friend's house. The noise was incredible, the whole country chanting and screaming all at the same time. Quite an intense vibe.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd love to go to the host country of a world cup sometime in the future just to experience it. There is talk of England putting in a bid to host it soon, but i really would rather stick pins in my eyes than head to England for the world cup.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking Germany has a great shot this year. And your right SB the American media has no clue.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
New York Paper which had the headline "USA Win 1-1" followed by the sub heading "The biggest victory over the british in a long time".

haha, thats really funny
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not actually watching the Brazil game at the moment, but i am completely stunned they are not beating North Korea yet. It's sitting at 0-0 15 minutes into the second half. Shocking!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

And as i post this they score a goal.
  • chocol
  • Born
  • Born
  • chocol

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love football, too. It is time to enjoy life. Cheer :)
  • navidimran
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • navidimran

Post 3+ Months Ago

FIFA World Cup 2010 has certainly envoked a lot of people to get crazier with Football and you seem to be no different. The great bonanza to be lasted for a month is really an unstoppable event of meery and sorrow.
  • yomi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Nigeria

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am very patriotic, proudly Nigerian :D but I love good games. But becuase we have been KAITA-ed :evil: , I believe that our Super Eagles will soon spread their wings and fly back home.

Been following the championship on livescore but everything's been coming out interestingly. Let the best team win!!!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

15 minutes ago the biggest game of the tournament for both the USA and England kicked off. Both nations are playing different teams and the team with the best result whether it's on goal difference or whatever will qualify from the groups.

It's been a strange tournament so far, all the teams with a good reputation have struggled with exception to holland, Argentina and brazil. There has been a few shock scores also, the New Zealand result against world cup holders Italy stunned me. New Zealand don't even have a proffessional league yet Italy has one of the best leagues in the world.

I would love to see a holland vs Argentina final.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Turns out I completely misunderstood the situation and as a result some of you may have noticed both England and America qualified with the states finishing the group on top.
  • neena22
  • neena22

Post 3+ Months Ago

argentina and brazil.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

For those of you interested and hadn't quite caught on, the two finalists for the last World Cup in 2006 was France and Italy. Both of these teams finished bottom of their groups after what has been quite a poor yet interesting tournament so far.

It is still looking possible we could have an Argentina vs Holland final. Fingers crossed it goes this way, if it does i will most definitely be watching!
  • navidimran
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • navidimran

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am supporting Brazil. I am a die hard fan of the Brazilian football team. Which team are you supporting?
  • navidimran
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • navidimran

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who according to your opinion is going to be the Golden Boot winner? In my view, it's either David Villa from Spain or Klosa from Germany?
  • neena22
  • neena22

Post 3+ Months Ago

spain can win this world cup.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

So the world cup finalists will be Holland and Spain. Both teams have never won the world cup before and both have never played each other in a World Cup or European tournament before.

This is also the first time that the winner of the Euro tournament (which is held 2 years after the world cup every 4 years) has gone on to play in the final of the World Cup. If Spain beat Holland then they will have broken even more records.

From the beginning of this tournament i have believed Holland would do well, and thankfully they have not disappointed. The big surprise was the score this evening against Germany and Spain. I wanted Spain to win, but never thought they could beat the Germans. It ended up 1-0 to the Spanish in a game they completely dominated.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

World Cup Final day today! Really looking forward to seeing who wins this. Both teams have been playing well throughout the tournament, and deep down i have wanted Holland to win it from the start, so i think i will be routing for them tonight.

Spain have been getting better and better though, and if they continue with the really nice passing game they have been doing recently they might be able to break up the Dutch defence and clinch a victory. However i think Holland will probably go on do play their own game against Spain and change things a bit. The Spanish have actually been good on picking on the oppositions weakness and using it to their advantage, i would like to think the Dutch team have noticed this and will be particularly vigilante in the game tonight.

Regardless of who wins, i reckon it's going to be a really good game. Hopefully it will be as good as the 3rd place game last night where Germany beat Uruguay 3-2.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spain are the world champions!!

In honesty it was a pretty boring game, however i am not convinced the best team on the night actually won. It was so close to going to penalties also, so quite disappointed it never went to that.

What a goal it was though!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts