Voting Chart

Total votes : 15

Do you think file sharing is good?

•  
    Yeah, its free stuff why not?
  •  
    Perhaps i may download the odd music or software!
  •  
    I download Always
  •  
    Who cares, as long as it's FREE!
  •  
    No way, i wouldnt like to get caught

File Sharing

• David
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • David

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

Do you think File Sharing should be legal?
Do you think it wont get anywhere in life?

Say what you think...

Post you're opionion and vote...

I'd say it was wrong, as its illegal and wouldnt like the cops to come around my house and take my laptop :oops:

David.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

"No way, I wouldn't like to get caught" isn't the only reason somebody would choose not to file share online.

Some simply have respect for the authors/creators of works, and respect their copyrights.
  • David
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • David

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good Speech axe...

David
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think its fine as soon as its does not include any harm for others.
other wise it should be band
  • Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: ChicagoLand, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I purchase everything I can, but some stuff you can no longer obtain legitimately.

I am a huge collector/fan of music. The prized piece in my collection is the CD soundtrack for "When The Wind Blows". There was only 5,000 copies pressed in Holland in 1986. I searched everywhere and ended up d/l'ing it from Napster back when it was the P2P free Napster. Not by choice, but by lack-of-choice.

Anyway, I finally found a sealed copy on eBay, and you can bet I was highest bidder on that one. To this day it is my favorite piece in my collection (not for its monetary value, at $35 it is valued as the lowest piece in my collection) but because I love the music.

So, I checked the "odd" one only. One other confession, I d/l'ed Tori Amos's debut album "Why Kan't Tori Read" from KaZaA, because again, this album is out-of-print and my generation cannot wait for anything. I will purchase this album, as soon as I can find a copy for sale (closest I came was one for $125 that turned out to be a fake!) and I'll pay thru the nose for it.

I don't believe my actions here disrespected the artists in any way. I adore their music and ALWAYS prefer to have a hard copy on vinyl or CD *anyday* over file sharing...
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bottom Line: it is stealing and stealing is wrong.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am an avid p2p user. I use WinMX and Bit Torrent and I even host my own BT Tracker. I am not going to go into a huge speech and defend p2p, it's a waste of breath. Not everyone is going to see eye to eye on this subject.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I share things when it's legal. As Axe pointed out, "respect" for the properties of others is the reason I don't share things illegally.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I on use file-sharing if I'm 100% sure that it's legal - that is, if the author himself deemed it freeware.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really see the reason for needing to download illegal music. There are plenty of artists that WANT you to download some of their tracks. If there wasn't free music in this world Radio wouldn't exists, and you don't see them runing out of songs.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very good point - why go illegal when legal's just as good? (Besides for conscience sake)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do unto others as you want done unto you :D
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree 100%.

Yup... how would YOU feel if you spent months slaving over code - only to have it pirated??
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's happened to me in the past, and I was thoroughly pissed off :)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I made something that good where people want to pirate it then I must have done something right. Would I be mad, a little, but this day and age you must expect that anything will happen. So far everything that has been put into place to curb pirating has been cracked. Is the recording industry losing that much money? Is the software industry losing? Is Bill Gates going broke?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

however still the fact remains that its not just MS that gets this problem, its also the average joe who has a little company he has fostered from nothing into something good and when people dont pay for something they use that he has created, then he loses out too. it still costs money to run a business and profits from software sales are what fund this.. it also funds extra employment and means the product can continue to grow and get better with funds for development.
  • Xios
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Saturn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well all of you who say you don't do it I bet your lieing, you may not do it over the inetnet but i bet you copy stuff of your mates HDD when you get a chance.

I use KaZaA Lite, Napster (with a firewall) Morpheus, limewire and WinMX I think its a great way of getting Music and movies

If people go online to share them with you then its not stealing, There praticly giving you it,
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd bet your wrong.

Quote:
If people go online to share them with you then its not stealing, There praticly giving you it,

Not when it wasn't theirs to give away in the first place, genius.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just stuck to making freeware and required people to link back to me when they use my web software... and asked for donations

So, far it's worked... because how do you pirate freeware? ;)

However, freeware dosen't give you much money. :cry:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is funny though, before the digital age of CD and DVD burners and high speed internet we would copy casette tapes for our friends and then that friend would copy the tape for another friend, so on and so forth. I don't remember anyone getting all that mad about that. Or how about VCR's? I have known people to record TV shows on VCR and then copy them for another friend. True that the pirating was rather slow compared to what it is now but I am fairly confident that most people did this back in the day, including people here. Hell, I even remember my mom taking a copy of Win95 from work and installing it on my 3.1 system. Oh well. But since it is so wide spread now it is a problem and everyone is getting mad.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there any way to stop pirating? I know there's laws and things... but is there any way to make software that is impossible to pirate?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It doesn't seem like it does it. The way I see it, for every good programmer developing things for good, there is another programmer just as good or better that can crack the good programmers code. All it takes is time. Supposedly there are new CD's out there that are a pain in the butt to play on a computer and that has already been broken rather easily.
  • Xios
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Saturn

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to take this moment to say i have changed my mind about file sharing thanks to digitalMedia because I now think of it differantly.

I only use KaZaA now...

P.s i have freed up some space as well cheers digitalMedia
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well that is interesting. I hope it's true. Of course I have no way of knowing if you're being serious or not, but I'll take you at your word.

Thanks.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried to search for an article related to this...but found none

I was watching tech tv a few days ago and they where talking about a worm being added to some games and software that will send your ip address to a few web servers and they in turn post your ip address.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts