I finally got a motorcycle!!!

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it's done and I am officially in debt for the next 72 months. Just yesterday I got a shiny black 2008 Harley Davidson Sportster 883L and it is freaking awesome! It's said that this is a chick bike, but you know what? I don't care! It's a Harley and it's my first motorcycle, so eat it! The only thing I don't like is the wind noise at highway speed, but ear plugs can fix that. Enough of $30 every 4 or 5 days for gas and 15 miles per gallon in my jeep!

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good job... I think there are safety helmets that help keep away the noise.

Another advantage of a bike... no worry about wearing your seatbelt :lol:
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

Holy crap a nice bike for your first bike. My first bike was a Honda Ascot 500 FT. Single thumper bike - nothing like a harley.

My first motorcycle:

My current motorcycle:

http://www.bodydot.com/view/588/My-new-ZX14.html
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, cool KC.

Congrats.

I like your first bike too, John.

And...KC chick bike?? It doesn't look like one to me. I'd be very happy if i have one.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think they call it a chick bike because it is the smallest and cheapest Harley you can get, it's no big 1600 or anything. The worst part is the sunburn from riding all day yesterday, ouch that hurts! I probably will end up getting a full face helmet for highway riding just to keep from getting hit in the face with bugs and stuff, right now I have a half helmet.

That little Honda is cool, it would probably be a collectors item these days. Was that a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was under the impression that Harley was the gas guzzler of motorcycles. :lol:

How many miles do you get on that thing ?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

My dealer topped off the gas tank, and last night I was curious so I filled it up with a bank busting $5 of gas and got 58 miles per gallon, but even with 35 or 40 miles per gallon that is twice what I get in the jeep so I'll be happy anyway. But I'm not saving any money at all until I finish paying off the loan, so it's only a half a victory. My insurance is oddly cheap too, I use geico and I completed a motorcycle safety course and have a clean driving record, so it is only $400 a year. I though that was odd that it is only 50 bucks more than my jeep insurance.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

congrats on the bike, looks wicked :D not girlish at all... just be careful, I keep hearing about people having accidents on bikes these days. I guess one is a lot more vulnerable than while inside a car...
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The FT500 was a 4 stroke single cylnder. I bought it for $1400 and sold it years later for $1400. It was underpowered, slow, but comfortable and it was my first love. They only made it two years '82 and '83.

I remember the first time I actually drove on the road with it. It was awesome. I was terrified and I didn't have anyplace to go with it I just wanted to ride. If I close my eyes now, I can still hear the started engine and the single cylinder pumping. 33 horsepower WOW!!!

I wish I had it back.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Be careful, its a slippery slope once you buy a motorcyce.

My second motorbike

My third

My Fourth

My Fifth

Also had sometime in there:

And my really first bike that was never road worthy and was a piece of crap (I had a blue one):

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wowzers, thats a lot of motorcycles! They asked me how long I planned on keeping this motorcycle, and that kind of puzzled me, so I told them I would drive it into the ground. I guess affluent suckers must buy motor bikes with the intention of getting new ones in a few years. My grandpa delivers used and new cars for a dealer in the little town he lives in, and every year he drives a brand new Corvette on a trailer out to some rich dude in Kansas and picks up the one he delivered the year before. Unbelievable.......
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will probably have it 4 or 6 years. It's brand new so you will have it a long time, but eventually you will see a beautiful 1400cc softtail that you will fall in love with.

I had my VFR for 7 years and it was almost new when I got it (3500 miles is pretty much new). It now has 37,000 miles on it and it was time to get the ZX-14. Which I too, say I will drive into the ground....until I see a nice 1500cc jet powered flying motorcycle in about 2012...

The red Bandit, I had 6 months before I sold it just this last weekend to get the ZX-14. I thought I would like it more than I did.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd move to America if there were jobs like your grandpa's on the go very easily. He gets to drive new Corvettes? Lucky lucky.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

his grandpa didn't drive it, he delivered it to the rich guy
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The rich guy never drove it off the truck though :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

My grandpa gets to drive them about as far as the show room to the trailer then to the customers driveway for new cars, but on old cars they are usually doing trades so he actually gets to drive those where ever he is delivering them. He only does that on a part time basis, just two or three trips a month. He really likes doing that because he use to be a long haul truck driver, so it's like he is 20 years younger again.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

stay safe you MC riders
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
stay safe you MC riders

I agree ... always keep a look out for drivers (in cars) that are unaware ... I see many of them around where I live ...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The biggest problem around here is we have a Red+3 thing going on. Most people don't seem to want to stop at yellow or red lights, so when the light turns red, either 3 more cars go through or as many cars that can make it in 3 seconds, then they usually decide to stop. The cops do it too, so nobody ever gets tickets for breaking the law. That issue was raised in a letter to the editor in the newspaper, and the assistant chief wrote a letter in response saying that officers are usually going somewhere in a hurry when they run lights, then a third letter by an anonymous citizen said that the buttons to turn on the flashing lights and sirens must not work and questioned how many dollars from tax payers it would take to fix those (referencing a controversial issue where the police wanted a half million dollars extra for vehicle maintenance, but they were secretive about exactly what the maintenance was, so they didn't get the money).
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The amount of people turning right on a red too is shocking! :lol:

I think it's the same in America, but in Canada when i was in a car turning right on a red i felt like such a criminal. When you approach a red here (unless it has a green right arrow) then you can't make a right turn. Red generally means stop.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's totally legit to make a right turn on red in the US unless the intersection is marked otherwise, and you are suppose to stop first and make sure you don't cut somebody off in traffic too. One thing we have is a few one way streets that are only a few car lengths in between and parallel to each other, so when there is a red light on a side street at one of the one ways, and a green light on the same side street at the other one way, we either get a horrible traffic jam or people get confused and run their own red.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just thinking about getting a motorbike earlier this evening in my school. I already envisioned myself riding a HD, tying up my head with a red cloth.

how cool.

:)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do they have helmet laws in Sinister pAssaGe 3401? They are required in Nebraska, and I got a half helmet, but I think I am going to get a full face helmet because I went on the highway to the lake last night and that is mighty windy.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have helmet law here, in sinister PassAge 3410

And I mean I ride in some housing area, nearby my house, or in college without helmet. Looks nicer (my face).

:)
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Wowzers, thats a lot of motorcycles! They asked me how long I planned on keeping this motorcycle, and that kind of puzzled me, so I told them I would drive it into the ground. I guess affluent suckers must buy motor bikes with the intention of getting new ones in a few years...

Reading this again, it's not about being affluent. It's about selling the bike while it still has value, to get a new model. If you drive your bike for 5 years, you can sell it for a good price and get another one. If you drive it into the ground you can only sell it for $1500 to put towards your next model.

So you want to keep it long enough to enjoy it, not too long to get bored with it, and definatly not so long that you're starting from scratch paying for your next model.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is my first loan I've ever gotten to help me with this motorcycle, and I'm told that sportsters dont' hold value real well anyway and that could be because it is kind of the budget minded harley davidson. It's a 72 month loan, and I'm hoping to get it paid off in less than 24 months, so a few years after that I guess I'll see if I am wanting something with a little more power like a dyna or if I want something a little bit more road trip worthy like a great big honda gold wing or a harley touring bike.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts