Finally have power again since ice storm hit

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure if any of you have heard about the ice storm we had in the Seattle area, but we had about 1 inch of solid ice from freezing rain that ripped trees apart and caused extensive damage everywhere. We lost power for just about 4 days, finally got it back today about 3pm. I am so thankful to have power again, I really love electricity I have figured out.

Anyway just wanted to let you know I am back :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
I am so thankful to have power again, I really love electricity I have figured out.

I remember years ago having a power cut at my parents house. They live right in the middle of nowhere with nothing within a couple of miles of them and at the time i wasn't old enough to drive and my mum wasn't keen on taking me or any of my other siblings anywhere. We were without electricity over night and it was absolutely freezing. It was then that i learned to appreciated electricity more and i felt exactly as you do Brian.

I sort of wish we had a winter storm here, it has been incredibly mild this winter. We have had the odd morning of frost and only one day where it was white outside, although that lasted no more than a day. On Christmas day the temperature hit, i kid you not, a very warm 16C (60F)... it's almost never that warm in winter.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overall we have had a fairly mild and dry winter. This all happened in the last week though where a fierce storm came in.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah electricity good.

I had to run the air conditioning last night. :) Hehehe.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is messed up, I am thankful for our furnace again.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where in Seattle are you again? Capitol Hill got the ice as well, but we didn't have any major power outages.

What I love about Seattle is how the whole city shuts down when it shows; I didn't go in to work a single day last week.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I live in Bonney Lake, near Sumner and Puyallup. So more south than you. I think pierce county was one of the ones to get hit the hardest.

Yeah it does shut down, but this is the worst one I have been through in a long time, mainly just because it brought down so many trees and power lines. I never would have guessed that I would be without power for almost 4 days, and I am just in a suburb, not a rural area out in the middle of nowhere.

Usually when it snows around here we don't have power problems, but things still shut down due to all the people who have no idea how to drive in it, plus we have all sorts of hills and stuff.

I have seen freezing rain around here before, but not so widespread and intense like this. The last one I remember was when I lived in Enumclaw, probably about 12-14 years ago or so.

I have a few pictures I took of our deck attached. Notice in the first picture towards the top of the light post how thick the ice is:
Attachments:
ice-storm-03.jpg
Attachments:
ice-storm-02.jpg
Attachments:
ice-storm-01.jpg
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's a pic of the cold here. ;)

Attachments:
olearys_lunch.jpg

Brrrr. Heh.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yeah, that looks terribly cold. Brrrrrr.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to move to Seattle... just so i can get a decent winter.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it looks like round two just arrived! Really strong winds this time and we just lost our power again! Barely had it back on for two days :(
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey it was cold; it was like, 83 out during lunch here. :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

We had a nightmare flight out of Spokane WA when that storm was hitting. The plane we were suppose to get on was diverted to Boise, so they put us on another plane an hour after we were suppose to take off. Then they had to de-ice us which took 30 minutes before they announced we were having engine troubles (they wouldn't start!) so they pulled us back into the terminal for the two hour repair while we sat in our seats semi patiently. Next another 30 minutes de-icing procedure followed by an hour waiting for them to finish plowing the snow off the runway. We were set to arrive in Denver at 6:35 pm but it was well after 11 when we actually landed, and then there was the 4 hour drive to my parents house in Nebraska. Its normally a 20 hour drive from Montana to Nebraska, but flying this time too just as long!

Luckily our flight from Denver to Spokane was fast and uneventful. We even had clear skies when we flew over the Tetons and Yellowstone which was really cool.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Our power just came back again! Back in business.

That sounds like a horrible day kc0tma!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm right across the Skyway from Daemonguy, and I actually broke a sweat outside today. :D
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's still warm here. A bit of rain... that's about it.

Meh.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I'm right across the Skyway from Daemonguy, and I actually broke a sweat outside today. :D

I know, right. :)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL, you guys should rub it in a bit more :)

I am just happy the sun has come out today!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

You guys have sun, we've got three feet of snow out of that storm and its been raining ever since. Ick!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know, i never thought i'd ever say this but i am jealous of all you guys with snow and jealous of everyone with sun and heat. It sucks being right in the middle. Granted it is pretty cold, but it's still bloody average.

With that said, we've had enough strong winds recently (some strong enough to be mistaken for a hurricane). The thing i was taught at school though was there are 4 seasons in a year... Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. So far, in the last 365 days where i live we have had a big massive spring/winter. Yet i say winter reluctantly because the last time i saw a decent amount of snow was a year past December when it snowed for more or less a month straight.

I've spoken to people at work about the weather this winter and everyone is completely surprised at how mild it has been, especially after last winter being so cold and wintry. It's not uncommon for us to get alot of snow in Feb, so i may be speaking too soon.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is nice here when it snows but my part of Montana is weird because it snows and rains, so most of the winter is slushy and muddy. I think it is because we are in a mountainous area but relative civilization is really low elevation, only about 2100 feet in my town. Spring time is the worst around here because it is till bitter cold at night but we get torrential rain in the day so there is water standing everywhere. Summers are great though! Night time temps in the 40s and daytime temps in the 80s with small afternoon rain showers that you can almost set your watch to.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, which one of you guys sent the rain over here?!
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its hot here as well. I've probably only worn a jacket a total of about a week all winter so far. So i'll trade for some cold weather and snow anytime.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Alright, which one of you guys sent the rain over here?!

Not me, its still raining here. It did stop for a while over the weekend though...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it may be me. It is still kind of raining here, but we are in the process of drying out and actually going to get a stretch of sun and temps almost near 60 which is fairly warm for this time of the year. Check it out:

Attachments:
weather-forecast.jpg

After you told me how much sun and warmth you had, I was hoping you would share a bit -- so thanks :)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard it all before...

Attachments:
lies.jpg

I know of people all over the country outside of my city of residence that has been getting snow, yet it seems to be avoiding here. I don't think i've wanted snow as much as i do now in all of my life.

That weather warning note at the top is the most over-rated thing in the world. The amount of times i've seen some sort of "winter warning" on weather sites in the past only to be greeted with sunshine and warmth is unreal.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

And here I thought you lived in Phoenix during the winter months, specifically to avoid this kind of weather.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
And here I thought you lived in Phoenix during the winter months, specifically to avoid this kind of weather.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

well good to hear your ok but dont ya have a generator?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do not have a generator. It is on the list after this year though, would have been nice to have.

Typically this time of the year we are down in Arizona, but my sister and sister-in-law both had a baby recently so we decided to stay here this year and rent out our home instead.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts