Firefox 4 and scrolling issues and my resolution

• cynishere
  • cynishere

Post 3+ Months Ago

I downloaded Firefox 4.0 and immediately the scrolling mechanism would not scroll. It worked everywhere else except when using Firefox. I downloaded 3.6 and walla.....it works w/this version. Noticed where others were having the same issue and wanted to post this to assist them in resolving their frustrations. This tells me that Firefox has some work to do with 4.0 and I am NOT going to use it until I KNOW they have the bugs worked out. I am far from being a 'techie' person and spent the biggest part of the day researching everything from A-Z (half without having a clue as to what I was doing, lol). I'm sticking w/3.6 until I have to move up or I may even familiarize myself w/IE a little better and use it as my default browser.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have any scrolling issues with my Firefox 4. I'm actually really happy with Firefox 4.

Are you using a touchpad (laptop) or a mouse (laptop or pc)?

Also, what operating system do you use and is this true for every mouse you have tested (If you tested other mice)?

Here's a solution I found on the web.

• In firefox 4 click on the address bar and type in about:config and hit Enter on your keyboard.
  • In the message that comes up, click "I'll be careful, I promise!"
  • In the chart that comes up, search for "general.autoScroll" (Using the filter is a great idea here)
  • Click on general.autoScroll until the status says default, the Type is boolean and the Value is set to true.
  • cynishere
  • cynishere

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using a touchpad. It's an Acer Aspire 7200 and Vista. I have tested no other mice but as stated previously, it must be Firefox 4 that is causing the issue because if not, why would it scroll without any further changes being made in the older version? I would be interested in trying your solution though and I still have FF4 on my system saved as 'old firefox' (meaning 2nd to last version downloaded). If I decide to re-open it and try your solution, how do I get it to open again (lol) Told u all I am no techie and need someone to hold my hand throughout the entire precess (giggle)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should be able to just update your version of Firefox and try the solution... also, if it's not the right solution I wouldn't uninstall the update and revert to Firefox 3. This way, you wouldn't have to update your version of Firefox just to try a solution and then go back.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/
  • cynishere
  • cynishere

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay...so I do the update to FF 3. I try the solution and it doesn't work. U say to NOT uinstall the update and revert back to FF3. I am not sure how I would go back to version 3. Sorry but I need some clarification and loads of 'how to's' (sighhhhhh)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/no ... _7220.html

Update your Synaptic touchpad driver
  • cynishere
  • cynishere

Post 3+ Months Ago

So u are now saying to update the touchpad driver as opposed to what u told me before or in conjunction with??
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you do about:config thing? I though you said you did and that it didn't work.

I searched around on google about this problem and it seems like it does exist, but most of them were fixed either through that about:config thing of by updating the touchpad/trackpad driver.
  • cynishere
  • cynishere

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right...the config thingy didn't work. The changes took place and all that happened was that weird music came on and stroller still doesn't stroll. I tried it a short while ago. Initially I was asking about preserving 3.6 in the event it didn't work to keep from downloading it again but...no problem. Hopefully, one last question before I decide whether I need to got back to 3.6 and forget it.

Here's my question: When I go to the link u gave me to update the touchpad/trackpad driver, there are a lot of options there and I am not sure which ones to select. I know...I'm a pain in the butt since I have so little knowledge but....I really would like to get this scrolling thing working and be able to use FF4....grrrr
  • cynishere
  • cynishere

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have some frustrating news. After following these instructions re: config thingy.....the scrolling option will not work "3.6" version either. I really need some indepth assistance now more than ever! By doing that config thing, would that now have changed something to where I can't scroll even on 3.6 and IF so, how do I get at least that back???? Not being able to scroll anywhere is not a good thing.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

cynishere wrote:
Right...the config thingy didn't work. The changes took place and all that happened was that weird music came on...

I'm sorry... music turned on when you checked the config? If so, I don't think it's Firefox's fault... you just might have a virus if music turns on at a config change... either that, or you changed the wrong setting.

Go to config thing through the steps I told you about but instead of making any changes, save a screenshot and submit it here so I can see what is happening.

cynishere wrote:
I have some frustrating news. After following these instructions re: config thingy.....the scrolling option will not work "3.6" version either. I really need some indepth assistance now more than ever! By doing that config thing, would that now have changed something to where I can't scroll even on 3.6 and IF so, how do I get at least that back???? Not being able to scroll anywhere is not a good thing.

Like I said, save a screenshot of the config values and let me see what you got and what you have changed.

I messed around with my config values and can't find a way to turn off the scrolling no matter what I change in the config...
  • cynishere
  • cynishere

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the screen print, saved it and am I now to provide the link for u to access it or?????? Tks
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, just put the screenshot here as an attachment (If you can...) and if you can't do that, host the file somewhere (TinyPic works and post a URL here so I am able to see it.
  • cynishere
  • cynishere

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got this done w/tinypics, got the urls and tried to post it. States I am not allowed to post external links, grrrrrrrrrrr.....I am sooooo close to thinking Firefox is sooooooo not worthy it!!! Appears as if they r having numerous issues to work through and many are having issues of varing degrees.....

Any other suggestions? (giggle)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post it in the format of http://www [dot] tinypic [dot] com/whateverelsegoeshere
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only reason I haven't switched is because Fire FTP isn't compatible yet. :(

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts