Fishing for Beginners

• dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kids just want to see the bobber go down and then reel them in.
Well my 5 and 7 yr old do.
Yours are 11 or so?
Our nephew was 12ish when we went and was pretty self sufficient. He more wanted to just cast and catch something. For him it was easy to put on a daredevil type spoon and cast for northerns. (WI here)

Some things:
If it is the first real times fishing, just use worms and bobbers.
From shore, find areas with shade, trees that have fallen into the water, etc. Morning and evening are the best times, but panfish eat all day long. Find the depth of the spot by using a tall bobber and setting it "deep" to see if it capsizes. Find about 2 feet off the bottom on hot days.

Throw near the overhang/shade but not into it. The initial splash scares fish, throw it out about 5 feet past if you can and reel it in towards the objects, and wait.

NightCrawlers are the best, you want to use half a worm, and double hook them, first at an end, then wrap it around the hook and another one so the end can dangle, wiggle, look yummy.

When the bobber starts bouncing, don't yank yet. Wait until it is submerged and moving. Panfish especially smaller ones nibble and nibble. If you get just nibbles try going deeper on your bobber.

Also keep reeling it in so if you yank you don't just get line slack, being on shore most often the current will push the bobber towards you. Boat is ideal.

I let them hold the poles and then if they get a bite, set the hook and then let them reel it in.
We always release.

But being 10 they may want to cast. In that case, just go outside down a street or whatever and put a neutered heavy bait on the end and let them practice. There are some weighted practice things that look like fish.

Fish are very sensitive to disturbances in the water. Make sure they aren't throwing rocks in the water even 20 feet near the area.

It takes time to improve on catching fish.
But really, it isn't about the fishing anyways.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went out to Big Pier 60 here in Clearwater today at the spur of the moment. I never fished this pier before and the aerial view from Mapquest or Google earth or whatever it was didn't help much. I got skunked for the most part while the people in the good spot were pulling up Spanish Makeral all day long with bobbers and shrimp.

I caught a sammich-sized sheephead free-lining a shrimp next to the boat marker though.

Attachments:
13-inch-sheephead.jpg

13 inches from nose to inside of tail fork, just enough for a sammich!

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good sandwich? ;)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know yet, I forgot today was Easter and I'm already stuffed. I'll eat it for lunch tomarrow. Sheephead aren't exactly a super-tasty fish to begin with, it will last untill then. :)

I didn't find any worms when I cleaned it which is good. The family of fish sheephead are part of have a higher chance of having worms in their flesh with the larger they are.

Here's a Black Drum I caught under the north side of the Skyway along the rock jetti that's about twice the size of that sheephead, it was full of worms and I ended up using it as fertilizer instead of eating it.

Attachments:
drum.jpg
  • janecaniete
  • janecaniete

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've done fishing before...cool(^-^)

visit this one http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... hing&uni=1
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Trying my hand at an 8-hour sport fishing trip at Orange Beach next month. Last time I tried it, we watched all the other boats ride off in the other direction and we basically took a 6-hour tour - we didn't pay. heh

Always enjoyed party boats, hope this pans out for me - I'll hafta post some pics and count sammiches! :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

janecaniete wrote:
I've done fishing before...cool(^-^)

visit this one http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... hing&uni=1

I've always wanted to try fly fishing.
One of these days I'll get out on the flats and try it, I hear the pompano like flies and I like pompano. :D

UPSGuy wrote:
Trying my hand at an 8-hour sport fishing trip at Orange Beach next month. Last time I tried it, we watched all the other boats ride off in the other direction and we basically took a 6-hour tour - we didn't pay. heh

Always enjoyed party boats, hope this pans out for me - I'll hafta post some pics and count sammiches! :)

Try to get there early so you can get a spot on the back of the boat if you don't have to reserve your place ahead of time, that's where the fish-finder/depth-guage is mounted. ;)

Oh wait, sport fishing, like deep water ?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, deep water, a friend and I are chartering one for our wives and ourselves...ok, ok...for ourselves and the wives are maybe going. :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went out on the pier again yesterday, sunburn from 2 days ago and all.
Brought home 11 Spanish Mackerel this time.

I was going to spell out OZZU with fish and take a picture, but I was two fish short and didn't have any newspaper, so I just shot the ones on top in the cooler before I cleaned them. :D

Attachments:
spanish-mackerel.jpg

Spanish Mackerel

Here's a tip for cleaning Mackerel.
When you catch them put them in a cooler full of ice and take the time to make sure they stay straight as you put more in.
Hours later when you go to clean them, they will be straight and stiff as a board from the ice, this makes them a LOT easier to clean.
I can filet a mackerel in a few seconds when I keep them like that. :D
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mmmm, I like me some pan-seared mackerel.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to McGuyver together a smoker at the moment.

So far I have a broken electric Wok that I bypassed the switch in to get working again and a few ideas for enclosures.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll have to post some pics of your MacGuyver smoker when you get it finished, homemade stuff like that is cool.

The best damn fish I've ever eaten was about 9 years ago. I did a week long canoe trip in Minnesota and Ontario with the boy scouts and one of our adult leaders caught a nice big pike, big enough to feed all 9 of us with seconds. It was only dead long enough to clean it and cut it into steaks before we started cooking it. We just wrapped it in foil and put it on the grill over hot coals, I can't remember what else we did for seasoning or anything though. Man that was some good fish!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just about to get a galvanized steel trash can from Home Depot thinking it would make the perfect smoking enclosure. Then I learned that heating galvanized metal can give off poisonous zinc-oxide fumes that can give you heavy metal poisoning and kill you.

I could probably burn the galvanizing off by setting fires inside the can or using acid baths, but if I'm going to put that much work into it I might as well just buy one from Walmart.

Back to the drawing board, didn't get to use this batch of fish to test it, but better safe than sorry I guess.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just get a kettle grill. They're cheap and it's not hard to smoke in them. :my2cents:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kettle grill ? :scratchhead:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Kettle grill ? :scratchhead:

Google is your friend
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I grew up using a square metal box with a dozen or so metal trays stacked up and separated by short wooden blocks with an electric heating element on the bottom with a cast iron skillet full of wood chips.

I'm still thinking things through, but the current idea is to build short wooden frames, about 2x15x15 or so, tacking small wood blocks inside of the frame corners that are the same height but offset up about halfway up the tray so I can stack them, then tacking rigid screens about halfway into the frame.

Then I can have a firebox that extends about 18 inches from the ground made from wood and lined with metal/foil, and stack the trays on top of that with the chip smolderer inside of it.

A setup like that will make it easy to add and remove trays as needed depending on how much meat is going in. :)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, but if you change your mind...
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/0 ... smoker.php

:)

//btw: I really disagree with the way the author 'cues the meat - especially Boston butts for pulled pork. You should never cook the meat in a sauce. The sugars will just burn.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I've already got a grill like that. I want to build something electric with a woodchip pan because I think tending the coals in a normal grill is a PITA and forces me to take the fish out of the grill to tend the coals. :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could try making a smoker out of an old refridgerator.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 50 posts