Florida Frozen Juice?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Temperatures across the Southeast including northern Florida hit record-breaking lows early Thursday and a hard freeze extended as far south as Ocala, in the heart of Florida's citrus country, according to the National Weather Service.

"We've had records breaking all over," said Ron Block, meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Tallahassee.

No folks, that is not a quote from today's news. It was a quote from February 28th 2002.
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/20 ... d-cold.htm

But this morning Florida farmers are struggling to save their crops. And I'm thinking that Floridians are waking up to similar headlines. Here is one from Central Florida:
Quote:
ORLANDO --For the third night in a row, the National Weather Service has issued Hard Freeze Warnings for various counties in Central Florida.
Hard Freeze Warnings will be in effect for Lake, Marion, Orange, Sumter and interior Volusia counties. Brevard, Flagler, Osceola, Polk and coastal Volusia counties will be under a Freeze Warning Thursday night.

We will have another cold start to the day on Friday with the potential for frost high in many areas.

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009 ... orida.html

Right now we have warmer temps in Pittsburgh than some parts of Florida

I found it interesting because I garden during the summer and find it difficult to protect from that dreaded hard frost in the fall.

Bottom line I'm wondering what this will do to the price of Orange Juice.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just finished eating an orange 5 minutes ago.

It's 37 degrees F outside here at the moment. I've got a little extra insulation on myself from the cold these days but I was still freezing just stepping outside my door to catch my neighbor on his way in.

I think liquids like orange juice tend to weather the cold because they can be stored in giant tanks and frozen. I think more oranges are lost to diseased trees than the cold.

It's the strawberries you have to worry about when it gets cold outside, which ironicly enough are usually saved by turning the sprinklers on.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does this mean that i'm gonna have to stop drinking Lake Wales based "Floridas Natural" fresh orange juice in the morning due to shortage of supply?

That stuff is pretty cheap compared to Tropicana Orange.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah but Tropicana is so good!
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

you guys are looking at this the wrong way... "Orange slushies for all" its like a reinvention of a known product :-) But just for the record I'll happily take 37F its 8F here right now or -22F with the windchill
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your guys' blood is like 50 weight motor oil up there though, 8F to you guys is like 50F for us. :lol:
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh 8F is pretty cold here too. Avg day time temps in January are usually closer to 20F so I'm ready to be done with this crazyness
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gonna start talking Celsius? You guys with your Fahrenheit.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha i can't do the conversion in my head but -22F is freaking cold. Google says -22F = -30C
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its 31.6F here, I cannot wait till its back in the 70s. At least it isn't raining. I need to move south where its warm.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Without a word of a lie, i really don't think we've had much rain or snow this winter. It's becoming quite rare to see snow here nowadays and rain is also becoming infrequent. Today was really sunny and bright blue skies.

In saying all this right now it is very cold outside.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
you guys are looking at this the wrong way... "Orange slushies for all" its like a reinvention of a known product :-) But just for the record I'll happily take 37F its 8F here right now or -22F with the windchill

I'll agree with that! Last week it was in the -20's (F) for a few days... when the temps finally hit the 30's again, we were all happy that it was warm again!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Gonna start talking Celsius? You guys with your Fahrenheit.

OK so at the moment it's -12C (weather channel desktop makes conversion a breeze). But it doesn't matter it's still been too figgin' cold for too long!

1 additional inch snow yesterday.

Forecast today: snow 1-2 inches.
Forecast tomorrow: snow 1-2 inches.
Forecast Wednesday: snow 3-4 inches.
etc...

Looks like the first day it will break freezing will be Superbowl Sunday, Feb 1.

And of course it's supposed to be sunny on Groundhog Day so Punxsutawney Phil will inevitably see his shadow and bring us 6 more weeks of this crap!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's kinda cold. I did wonder why you were all complaining ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts