Fortune Cookie Factory

  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I occasionally go through the forums and spend an hour or so deleting posts that just have no reason to be there. Stuff like the following,

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't know either.


It's not like the poster has been engaged in conversation with the thread starter and has a reason to say such a thing. What good does replying simply to say what is already obvious by just looking at the thread? It's not like replying is any better of an indicator than the view count of a topic. so I delete stuff like that. Especially now that signatures are dependent on counts.

In any event, I'm sure you're wondering what this has to do with a fortune cookie factory. Well, that's what I thought of as I was going through a few post histories this evening. It's like inspecting fortune cookie fortunes before they get inserted in the fortune cookie.

Part of me wants to start playing the post dates as my lucky numbers.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 334

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I occasionally go through the forums and spend an hour or so deleting posts that just have no reason to be there. Stuff like the following,

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't know either.


Altho I can't remember having done that myself, I don't see anything wrong with this. I think it is kind of like:

Quote:
Thanks for your help!


Which is also totally unnecessary, but I always do that when appropriate. The reason being, I answer a lot of questions (in another forum), and I don't like to feel like I'm wasting my time. So when someone says "Thanks", I know that I'm not.

I would say this is parallel in the sense that it at least demonstrates someone paid attention, like in a conversation. Eg, if some one asks something, and I answer, and then they ask a related question that I can't, or provide information to the same effect (I thought I could help but realize I cannot), it seems better to at least say "Sorry, I can't help you with that" rather than nothing, which might imply you have lost interest in the thread.

Of course the outcome is the same, but the situation I see it being meaningful in would be where the questioner is familiar with the one who answers, eg, You've helped me before and seem like a real guru type, so if you say "I can't answer that" then this is, in itself, informative.

Posting just to increase your count is silly, but isn't it even more silly to start weeding out short harmless comments because people might make them for such a nefarious reason?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2733
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
It's not like the poster has been engaged in conversation with the thread starter and has a reason to say such a thing.


That's the part that excludes thank you posts - in case you missed it.

As for sorry I can't help - if someone had attempted at helping but couldn't or the OP specifies someone, then sure. Otherwise, I think it's quite safe to assume that if you haven't replied, you can't help. Maybe you don't want to help. Maybe RL has taken you away for a bit. Threads shouldn't hang on the existence or absence of words of a select group.

Regardless, this is all based on what's really a drop-in-the-bucket example. There are various forms of crap-o posts floating around. IMO, the fact that this one may or may not be debatable to you personally doesn't supersede the benefits the forums get from joebert's work. Search is a very useful tool and I often turn to older topics for previously discussed resolutions. I'm quite certain that many people, both registered users and otherwise, do this every day. If I had to dig through useless go-fish posts to find a potential answer, it wouldn't take me long to look elsewhere. Potential new members are likely the same.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2305
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about the posts that do not get answered and a couple days later the origianl poster asks why it's been viewed 142 times with no reply.....

Seems like "Sorry, Nobody knows" would be apropriate.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2733
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I'd prefer to see that as to give false hopes with 30 "nope, sorry" replies on a post. The numbers from the Index would be misleading, useful information most likely buried, and time definitely wasted.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Posting just to increase your count is silly, but isn't it even more silly to start weeding out short harmless comments because people might make them for such a nefarious reason?


Most of my deletes of these type happen to stuff that's a month or three old. I give people involved with a post a chance to get any emotional needs they have from the posts.

Occasionally I'll come across someone who prompts me to go through their post history and clean out filler posts that are only a few days or so old.

Quote:
What about the posts that do not get answered and a couple days later the origianl poster asks why it's been viewed 142 times with no reply.....

Seems like "Sorry, Nobody knows" would be apropriate.


Now imagine you're that person who's seen 142 views to your thread with no replies, and then finally, you see the first reply, and it's some shmuck telling you something you already knew because their urge to help couldn't be suppressed by their common sense.

It'd be like having your parents put a car sized box in the driveway on Christmas morning only to end up with you finding a note that says "Sorry, we can't afford a car" inside the box.

Did you know the US Airforce will fail you for answering 10 questions wrong before they'll fail you for not answering 10 questions ?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't know either.


...in bed.

mk27 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your help!


...in bed.

Thats always fun tagging on that "...in bed." to fortune cookies.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 334

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Did you know the US Airforce will fail you for answering 10 questions wrong before they'll fail you for not answering 10 questions ?


I have heard that they will fail you for answering one question wrong if the question is "How many times have you taken LSD?*" and the answer is >= 10.

*...in bed.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wouldn't everybody just answer No? Really, if you were taking some sort of military test and they asked you "How many times have you....." and you answered honestly you would be digging yourself a big deep hole. But if they have you plugged into a lie detector then it might pay off to be honest.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2305
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

mk27 wrote:
*...in bed.



LMAO, i for got to add this.

*... in bed!
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 410

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL i love ozzu guys.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.