ForumRank

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to http://www.forumrank.net, the most successful forums are vBulleting ... kind of disappointing :lol: I wonder why that is?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm... how is SomethingAwful not on that list?

In any case, a forum's success has less to do with its underlying technology and more to do with its community, so I doubt it matters.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like vBulletin has better success then phpBB. Maybe vBulletin has better SEO on their templates, or maybe it doesn't matter. The most successful phpBB forum I know is ozzu.com :)
  • Billy77
  • Billy77

Post 3+ Months Ago

what else ;-)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You get what you pay for.

I think most free forum software owners get bored or burned out with needing to do everything themselves before the forum gets anywhere. A lot of times with opensource software the "I'm a ******* volunteer !!" attitude you can run into when looking for professional help is enough to put a lot of people off using software.

Whereas when you purchase a VB license you get support with it, leaving you to do what the software is actually intended to let you do.

phpBB3 isn't completely missing from large scale forums though, MozillaZine uses phpBB3 with 3+ million posts.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess, I just viewed a demo of vBulletin (Using hteir site... you could get a demo board there), and I absolutely HATE the administration control panel. I think phpBB3 has the best administration control panel.

But other than that, I see why vBulletin is getting all those good stuff :lol:
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I guess, I just viewed a demo of vBulletin (Using hteir site... you could get a demo board there), and I absolutely HATE the administration control panel. I think phpBB3 has the best administration control panel.

I don't know about the admin side of things, but I will be honest (as someone who uses a slew of different forums daily) that vBulletin is my hands down favourite. But it's not like phpBB totally sucks either, so split hairs.

Unfortunately, as I recently discovered on a small project where we had to set up a forum for discussion, vBulletin is not free to use.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts