forums question

• cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have forum, and someone was able to edit all his posts, and hijacked them edited them with a dot ".", we made a backup recovering, now it seems this person is suiting us "filing criminal charges for slander", he is currently banned on the site. Does he have any legal grounds?

We have by no means mention his name anywhere, and his posts are merely his.

sorry if this is not the right category.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

he also, talked to us in private after he hijacked his posts and called us names and stuff.. he is just crazy person or he can actually pull anything out, for not deleting his posts. Also he has not requested his posts to be deleted or anything.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ignore it. If you have done nothing wrong then he can not do anything to cause you any problems. If all you've done is restored his posts and banned him and he is talking about legal action then he has nothing, any lawyer will just laugh at him and tell him where to go.

At the end of the day when he joined your website he was registering with the knowledge that the information he is providing is going towards the use on your website which is your property. If he has a problem with this then why did he leave the posts he left in the first place?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't say another word about it in public. Save every attempt he makes to contact you. Do not respond to him anymore. You should forget he exists unless,

A) He tries to contact you, in which case you save whatever he sends then forget he exists again.

B) A "lawyer" contacts you. If this happens, refuse to speak with them until they've given you their full name, and where they're licensed to practice law, what area of law they specialize in, and any other information about them you can get. Remind them that both practicing law without a license, and impersonating a lawyer, are criminal offenses when you ask for this information.
After you have this information ask for their office number and let them know you will get back to them after you have had a chance to verify they are who they say they are. Save any contact information they give you.
Look up their information using the Bar Association website (or a phone call) for whatever state they're licensed to practice law (help) if you can't find any record of them, add this information to your stash of information about the guy giving your problems and forget about it.
If everything checks out, call the lawyer back and ask them what they want, and for the legal statues saying you have to do what they want. Then let them know you'll call them back once you've spoken with your lawyer.
At this point, if there's a lawyer calling you and giving you legal statues, it's time to get yourself a lawyer and do whatever that lawyer says.

C) You get a summons to appear in court, which too, is time to contact a lawyer and do whatever they say.

--

Based on what you've described, I can't think of any legal reason you have to worry. Their whole "slander" bit is absurd, it would be like me walking into your house and screaming something as loud as I can, then saying you slandered me if you played a tape recording of it during a BBQ in your back yard.

Ignore them unless someone licensed to practice law contacts you. If you want to be a dick (I would) then contact their ISP and file an abuse report describing that this person is bypassing your security measures and accessing your network unlawfully.
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot for the reply, very useful and Will take the necessary steps

thanks! :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts