Free & Good HTML Editor

• Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey you guys I have a friend who is getting started on webdesign, so do any of you knows about a software pretty much like Dreamweaver that is FREE :? that he can download from somewhere on the net.

Thankz
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a list of some free html editors on my website. None of them are quite like Dreamweaver, but they were all free last time I checked. I don't think you're going to find a wysiwyg editor with the features of Dreamweaver without paying for it.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know what stage of learning your friend is at, but if I may offer a bit of unsolicited advice, you might suggest to him/her that they start with HTML in Notepad. With a good understanding of how HTML really works, that person will be far more effective than if they only learn to click on the right buttons.

I recently switched to Dreamweaver (from HomeSite 4), and I consider it to be the best WYSIWYG/Editor out there, currently. IMO. But, of course, with any program that atuomates these processes, you still need to have the ability to come behind the WYSIWYG and clean up stuff, fix stuff, and generally understand what's happening when you're not getting the results you're expecting.

I would further extend this advice to CSS, Javascript, and therefore DHTML. You can easily dip into a script archive and get the functionality you want. But if that's all you know, what do you do when it's time to originate a script, or even make specific modifications to a script?

In summary, learn first, automate second, succeed always.

</soapbox>
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

my friend is just starting to learn the stuff so I can't just throw him to notepad...
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes you can. That is the best way to learn IMO. It, like dM said is much better the just memorizing which buttons do what It is really not that difficult to remember four or five letter tags and what they do.
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well yea true, :? I had found him an HTML editor but it was in notepad mode, and he was like damn bro this is complicated. Thats why I wanted to get him something easyer to work with....
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally don't believe any WYSIWYG programs will help someone learn HTML. If you don't want just straight notepad, ATNO/TW seems very fond of HTML Kit. so I'd recommend trying that!
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It aing me bro its my friend, look he knows NOTHING that goes with the word WEBPAGES, and he wants to get started as zoon as possible. I'm ok with notepad, but he is not. So I'll see what can i do. :roll:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am aware that it isn't you. Just give him geocities then.
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

good idea thanx
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have it and it will fix what is wrong if u mess up. it is also really easy to use. that was the first editor that i used while i started making my sites
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

whatlikesit12345 wrote:
I have it and it will fix what is wrong if u mess up. it is also really easy to use. that was the first editor that i used while i started making my sites

Wha??? It must be your open ended pronoun..which it was your it referring to. I don't get it!
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

HTML Kit perhaps?
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

whatlikesit12345 wrote:

define "it" sir..????

a couple commas wouldnt hurt either :-P

//shouldnt this be in the webdesign forum? ill leave it alone since this thread seems to be almost done
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

if u mess up while writting the code. it goes back until u opened it. and i also like coffee cup The Free HTML editor. that is also a good one. I like the free HTML editor becuase its free and really easy to use. Then the HTML-kit can convert it when u are done the XHTML or XML. Coffee Cup cannot do that. unless i cannot find it.
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks bro I'll check them out. But I think my friend is going to get dreamweaver.......... :wink: so thanks ya all
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hah, I thought you said he wanted something free. :roll:
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL I know I guess he got tired of searching