•  
    $Pay$

Free vs $Pay$?

• Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Long time since Ive posted anything here, so good to be back!

Heres the deal,
just got done downloading Avast (for those of you unfamiliar, its a free anti-virus/pop-up blocker etc) instead of renewing my Norton and McAfee subscriptions. Now Im curious if anyone here has had any experience with some of the lesser known virus protection softwares (the freebies), and how well they stack up to bigger names in the industry (such as Norton).

Wondering how well spent my money is after all these years of using Norton. :?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not a week goes by on Ozzu that a don't see a post complaining about a virus or trojan in someone's system. The post almost always contains a Hijack This log and the log always shows an Anti Virus Program running along with whatever malware infected the system. Sometimes it's a free AV and sometimes it's not but neither one of them ever catch the malware. So, the free program is worth about the same as the paid program, which is ZERO. They no longer have any use value and certainly no dollar value.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can have a million dollar home securty system, but if you don't know how to use it that system is worthless to you.

Know your system.
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smokenjoe wrote:

Heres the deal,
just got done downloading Avast (for those of you unfamiliar, its a free anti-virus/pop-up blocker etc) instead of renewing my Norton and McAfee subscriptions. Now Im curious if anyone here has had any experience with some of the lesser known virus protection softwares (the freebies), and how well they stack up to bigger names in the industry (such as Norton).

It seems that in recent years I have seen pretty equal numbers of viruses/malware on machines running free AV vs Paid AV.

I think that its more about keeping the virus definitions up to date and being mindful about what you download and what websites you visit.

Try using Firefox with Noscript installed if you're concerned about security. (of course in addition to your AV software)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smokenjoe wrote:

Heres the deal,

Hey Smokenjoe nice to see you :D

Anything is better than Norton. If you want your PC to run at half the speed it was designed to, then stick with Norton. Otherwise stick with Avast or AVG, both are excellent free programs :thumbsup:
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awsome,
appreciate all the input. Think Ill stick with Avast and see how it treats me in conjunction with runing firefox. Just cant believe I was paying money all these years for something I could have gotten for free.

Live and learn I geuss! :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends on what your needs are really, the paid version of AVG is excellent also and provides things the free version doesn't. Depends on what features are important. Basic features covered in the free ones :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts