"From All of Us to All of You" - Opera 10.5 pre-alpha

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems the Opera team is in a bit of a giving spirit this holiday season! Following many recent requests, the team has decided to make the 10.5 pre-alpha available after 18 months of development. Improvements in speed, JIT compilation, rendering, caching, and more make this a demo worth trying. Perhaps Opera stands a chance to win over default browser on my machine after all.

Source: Opera Desktop Team blog

Note: given the nature of the release, I think it's appropriate to reemphasize this info here:
Quote:
Warning
This build is pre-alpha quality. It's intended as an early showcase for new technologies. It might freeze your computer, corrupt your data, embarrass you in front of your friends or worse. Don't upgrade your existing Opera installation with it.
Known issues: JIT doesn't work on CPU's without SSE2, printing and PowerPC are not supported on Mac, Memory usage can be high, Opera will regularly quit unexpectedly. Some features, like Opera Unite are disabled.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

All I know is I'm getting real tired of Google products performing terribly in Opera on both Windows and Linux.

When Adwords switched to a new interface it performed horrible in Opera. Now that Adsense is about to switch over to the new UI that too, is performing terrible in Opera. It takes a minimum of 30 seconds for the Adsense home page to load in Opera for me, the browser freezes up during this time as well.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yikes. Any suspicions as to the cause? This new release is supposed to be just as fast (if not faster) than Chrome due to JIT compilation.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't know the last I update Opera on Linux (Ubuntu) it is not as fast as Firefox and Chrome.

My ranking would be something like this:

1. Chrome
2. Firefox
3. Opera

They are all in Linux

For Windows Vista I would prefer this:

1. Safari
2. Firefox/Opera
3. IE
4. Others etc. (can't remember their names, sorry)
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haven't tried this one you just recommended though..(Opera JIT)
  • joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Yikes. Any suspicions as to the cause? This new release is supposed to be just as fast (if not faster) than Chrome due to JIT compilation.

The header of the new UI for Adsense loads, then after about a second the freeze kicks in. I think it has something to do with the AJAX stuff being loaded on the home page. I haven't dug into the code though.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're in doubt or want something to range it by, check out lifehacker's review which shows some very interesting and promising test results. If you're familiar with Opera 10.1, then you can see the improvements in comparison.

• joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was going to give the development version a try, until I saw "Opera will regularly quit unexpectedly". I could deal with the rest of the known issues, but that one's a deal breaker. lol
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I was going to give the development version a try, until I saw "Opera will regularly quit unexpectedly". I could deal with the rest of the known issues, but that one's a deal breaker. lol

yeh, that would be a major issue when working on blogs and forums writing posts lol
  • joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That would suck, but I also use Operas built-in mail client. It wouldn't be cool to type out a support email for a client and have Opera crash unexpectedly.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's pretty good for a pre-alpha release. I would never expect full functionality out of something so fresh. This reminds me of Chrome OS - it's getting impossible to share anything with the public these days without getting picked apart.
  • joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't getting picked apart the whole point of releasing things early ? :D
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure, but picked apart in a different sense, maybe. I was more or less referring to the general attitude of "It's not 100% perfect, so I'll never ever use it". They said out-front it's not ready to use as a default browser. Reminds me of my web dev days when I would pass along a PS site mock up for color/layout approval, explain to the user what it is, and then they get a complaint email because the buttons didn't click.
  • joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry but "will regularly quit unexpectedly" isn't something that should be released for public testing. I've actually used the last two versions of Opera from beta forward because they didn't give me many problems. :)
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Warning
This build is pre-alpha quality. It's intended as an early showcase for new technologies. It might freeze your computer, corrupt your data, embarrass you in front of your friends or worse. Don't upgrade your existing Opera installation with it.

In my company, we've run several early functionalty demos to 'sell' VPs (all internal) on ideas and product features in order to further their interest in our product and efforts. I consider this to be something similar. I don't think the intent was to allow open testing, either.

EDIT: and by that I'm not implying demos for software that we sell to other companies - just demos for different departmnets of our company. Reading back, it sounded off to me.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Isn't getting picked apart the whole point of releasing things early ?

Precisly Nucleo.

Betas are not the finished article and should run side by side of a version that *does work.

I just went over to Opera and I love this new browser of mine. Been on Opera blogs for a year or two but never tried it before.

One thing I don't like is you trigger the right mouse button accidently it takes you off the page and back to the previous page you were on..

...Other than that Opera is my chosen browser.

S

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts