FTP Help

• stormchylde
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope this is the right place to post this. I am in need of huge help.

I used FTP all the time and now all of a sudden I just can't use it at all.

Whenever I try I get this message:

Quote:
An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
Server closed connection
Connect failed. Waiting to retry (30s)...

or

Quote:
can not connect timed out

I have tried everything I can think of. Tried looking up issues online and found nothing. I am a complete moron when it comes to this stuff and I really need some help please :) I am at the end of my rope going mad and wanting to throw myself off a cliff lol it is really really important that I get this working asap.

Thanks for any advice or help!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What machine are you trying to FTP into - is it a computer that you own and operate or something such as a shared hosting account?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My best friend has this same problem. He had to switch to a Vista machine for reasons to long to explain and installed the same program he always used and even one I suggested with the same credentials and can't connect.

I'm trying to help him but just can't look at his machine to figure this out.

But I'll give you ten to one this is the same thing and is a Vista security related option/thing/bug/quirk/ pain-in-the-arse
  • stormchylde

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have vista I use windows xp.

I am trying to use FTP to take and add stuff from my website which is on a shared hosting account to my computer.

I downloaded a program called smartftp which after about 10 different tries it somehow magickly connected. But I am terrified to close it because I still cant get there normally or with any other program. sigh.

After I got smartftp to work I tried upgrading my phpbb3 forums to the latest version and it has an ftp thing and it wouldn't connect either with the same issue.

It is just so annoying.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it just me or does this not sound like an issue from the FTP host end? Maybe your host was down for a small while?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's what I was thinking. Have you tried calling your hosting provider and explaining the problem?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

OK since it's XP, and that error is caused by something on your machine, the first thought that comes to mind is Firewall may be blocking. Have any Firewall? If so, check to make sure the site didn't inadvertantly get blocked.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to have an issue similar to this connecting to a friends game server with Filezilla.

It turned out I needed to switch either from "Active" mode to "Passive" mode, or vice versa. It might have been that it was trying to detect it automaticly and I needed to set it manually to one of the two.

I don't remember exactly, but I remember my issue was something to do with that active/passive mode stuff & it worked as expected as soon as I made the change in my FTP applications settings.
  • stormchylde

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks much I got it to work. It must have been my firewall. I am not super great with computers not sure how it could have been fine and then blocked? lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts