Fun experience with Novell Netware server install.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had no clue where this belonged, since there's not a Netware Forum here...so here it is.

I just had an opportunity for a job interview today and the company uses Novell Netware, so I thought I'd install the server and network my computers with the Novell Client to refresh my memory on things. What a pain in the arse...

First of all I already had 3 OS's installed on my machine and since Netware installs in DOS, I had to figure out what I wanted to do...so I deleted Redhat 9 which I just installed, and in the process I deleted my extended partition which lost two logical drives which (my bad) I hadn't backed up yet...(No great loss...although there was some stuff there I wanted to keep I can recover it.) OK...what the heck...I figure...so I move all my partitions to the top of the drive to make room at the front to install DOS 6.22 and Netware, but alas it screwed up my Windows 2003 server (as noted in the MS forum). OK...nothing on there I critically need...so it gets nixed too! Now tons of free space and only Win98 which I don't want to delete because there is stuff on there I want to keep and backup first. (BTW - I'm using System Commander for partitioning and OS stuff).

OK...install...DOS 6.22..no probs...install CD-ROM drivers...no prob...Go to install Netware via DOS and gosh! It only recognizes 14 mb RAM available and needs 96. I have 128! What's up with that? I tried that a dozen different ways, still no joy. OK...so, maybe I should have tried my old instructor's suggestion first...Use Win98's Dos to install...OK...did it...Cool -- no more RAM issue, but I get to the Network card driver part of the install and what happens? The install proggy keeps assigning an "invalid interupt" to my Realtek Network card.

Now I have to go to my interview...that went well (I think - one can never be sure until you get the job offer)...

Come back and it's raining...that means I can't go play in my garden...that's OK though--got a thousand things to do on my computers.

In the meanwhile I bounce my idea off my old instructor to "force" the IRQ in POST -- so I changed PCI slot1 to IRQ 3 and PCI slot 2 to IRQ 5 (both were set to "auto" - I wasn't sure which slot I had my card in and didn't want to open my computer and change it so I just picked 'em both). Cool...blasted right through that part of the install. Ooops...now SYS volume won't load. Why? I don't know...I think I forgot to create the partition. So, we go back to System Commander, and get us a new partition for netware and run install again.

Now this part I couldn't figure out...made it through to the network card part and I can't believe it...it autorecognized a Kensington driver when I know for sure I have a Realtek network card. I ain't complaining...it worked...SYS volume loaded and I have a running Novell server.

Now let's see how many issues I can create trying to install the client on another Win 98 machine I need to use to type a thank you letter for the interview and get it printed! *lol

In case you missed it, there's no problem in the above post to try to help me figure out. I just thought some might enjoy the story.

It's amazing what one forgets, that he thinks he remembers...or forgot that he should have remembered...or something like that!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like you had a nice couple of hours with your computer. I love those intimate moments when you feel like using the hammer technique. :wink: I'm glad you got it all worked out though. Good luck with that job.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like you had an exciting day. It still amazes me how many problems I can experience with any version of Windows. I always have some kind of problem every now and then, and half the time I do not know what I even did to fix it. It is just like I get lucky.

I hope you get the job, and at least you think the interview went well :)

It is true though, you can never really tell unless you get hired, and then you know for sure it went well.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

novell is great, but really underrated by windows' popularity. and since
active directory is a blatant copy of novell's tree system, you'll find it
pretty familiar to you. In fact, you'll probably like novell's system better.

The few times I've worked with it, I found it fast and easy to use.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do like it better. Had some good training on it last year...but time helps one set things in the back of one's mind, and I need to do some quick refreshing. The NDS tree isn't so difficult -- as you say very similar to Active directory...but in my opinion also easier to work with. What I don't have a lot of experience with is managing the server. That is quite a bit different than Windows.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts