Do general forums work?

• penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok this is the issue I have. I did something stupid and purchased hosting. And then thought hmmmm Is this really what I want to do.

I was thinking of making a general forum. Covering the usuall.

* graphics
*gaming
*music
* ect ect ect

But with a forum full of people such as yourselfs I was wondering could you advise me. Do they work at all or is it better to focus on one specific thing?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's very hard to get a generic one going (There's so many out there already and people already have their favs). You'll do most of the talking to yourself for probably the first year. You'd probably have a better shot with a topic specific forum. Take my forum for example. There are so many good sports forums out there already it's very hard to attract new members. The only thing that's kept it going this long is the twist of having the sports pools. As a forum though it's basically a dud.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok thanks. Now I just need to try and come up with something original. Thats going to be hard.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my opinion it is better to focus on a niche. If you have a forum that covers everything out there from graphics, gaming, music, television, programming, hobbies, sports, diets, books, animals, jobs, etc then you will likely have a very unorganized website that would be confusing for members to figure out where to post. Either that or it would be overwhelming.

When I first started Ozzu I had every forum category that you could think of. Not only did it make it more confusing for members on where to post, but it made ozzu look even smaller because forums would have anywhere from zero posts to a couple. When first starting a forum I would recommend just having a few categories and then as things grow expand that slowly as needed.

If you did make a website that covered everything right from the start I would recommend some kind of hierarchical approach so that users who only want to post and read about sports can stay in that area on your website and not see a bunch of other things they aren't interested in. You could do something like that for instance by making:

"sports.yourwebsite.com"
or
"yourwebsite.com/sports"

Standing out from the crowd by doing something different will also be a big help in attracting members.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks BWM.

What are your opinions on forum promotion services. I am just struggling what to think of now. I was thinking about making a forum for people to promote their websites but yet there are so many of those around.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
And then thought hmmmm Is this really what I want to do.

I have that thought before I do anything, I can't even use the bathroom without wondering if there's something else I should do beforehand.
It's nothing to worry about, you'll get used to just sticking with your original thoughts and seeing them through to completion as time goes on.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts