A Gestetner E455 - What would you do if you had one?

• skuff
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Merseyside, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yesterday I met a little old man who was pulling what looked like a giant printer on a rickety cart, he stopped me and asked if I'd give him a hand lifting it onto a rubbish skip, I asked him what it was and if it worked and he said it was a printer and yes it did still work. Now because it looked old and because I am a scavenger by nature I asked if I could have it and told him I would pick it up from his house later that day. On getting it home I scoured the internet trying to find out what exactly it was and it turned out it is some sort of copying machine from around the 1970's, it powered up and the large cylinder spun round quite happily until out of curiosity I thought I'd touch it while it was moving at which point it didn't work as well. So onto the actual point of the thread, does anyone know how these things work, if they are worth any money and what possible use I could get out of it, oh and if me touching the spinning cylinder thingy has knackered it ?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would have helped him throw it away! haha :lol:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

No idea man, I only thrive on the latest technology, not old technology (ie junk) :thumbsup:

However, if is something nobody has anymore, and its in good quality (which it sounds like it is not though), it could be an antique and worth money. Still it might just be interesting to see how it works and take it apart. Then after that take it in your backyard and have target practice with your .22
  • Sparks_UK
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Guernsey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

:roll: Sorry Guy
Don't get too excited as this item is not really collectable for another hundred years or so. Stick it on E-Bay if you want to fish for someone daft enough buy it...lets be honest "one man's junk is another man's treasure."

Another option is to contact Gestetner in the US at -

http://www.gestetnerusa.com/gestetner/g ... m.nsf/(All)/HomePage.html?opendocument -

Good fishing!
Sparks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts