Getting a job

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

In what is apparently a tough time for people to get a job in some places around the world i wondered what sort of things people have been doing to make them stand out a little bit.

Despite changing jobs 6 months ago very recently i've started to think about a change again. My new job has been fine but it really doesn't challenge me enough and has become very monotonous. I am quite an ambitious guy and want to work towards something yet the other week i was informed by my boss that the line of work i am currently in doesn't provide much opportunities for progression. I've been left with the impression that all that i am effectively doing is working to make enough money to survive and no more.

As i'm in my mid 20's i still feel that i am young enough to start a career, from the bottom if need be, and still have a good bit of success within the next 2-3 years. My unsettled feelings recently has mostly been spurned on by the fact i would like to progress and earn a crap load of money before i am tied down with a family etc etc. I am now literally prepared to advertise myself as being open for just about any job in any part of the world. Just the other day i applied for jobs in Azerbajan, Iraq, USA and Australia. My CV though doesn't really look completely encouraging for some of the jobs i have applied for, yet i know i am completely capable and unbelievably passionate about being as good in these jobs as i have been in my previous jobs.

Has anyone ever been in a similar position? if so, how did you tackle gaining employment with a weaker CV?

I sort of toyed around with the idea of writing a passionate cover letter effectively pleading to at least give me the opportunity to meet and discuss what may seem like weaknesses in any applications i have made. The other idea was creating some sort of short video which could be attached to any CV which would allow employers to get a good idea of what kind of person i am, however i don't know if that would seem very off-putting and needy.

Any thoughts and tips would be extremely appreciated.

:)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish I could help you SB, but it's been a long time since I wrote a CV.
For what it's worth, when I was doing interviews, I didn't heed much the cover letters which pleaded for opportunities; I wanted people who appeared confident enough to hit the ground running, as it were, and could provide a value to the organization immediately. YMMV.

My cover letter, as I recall was concise and to the point. I emphasized my experience how I would be willing to lend my considerable talents to the organization. :)

Course, we're in different places you and I. I'm old. :)

Best of luck chief.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for the reply Daemonguy. I did wonder whether writing a cover letter and effectively pleading would be offputting, so seeing your feedback on that has got me thinking about how i would approach it.

I certainly never intended on going right in and begging for a couple of pages. I thought about doing something short and sweet but also in a way that may demonstrate that my previous work history doesn't completely reflect on the person that i truly am.

The Oil & Gas industry is particularly big in this part of the UK, so much so that i believe Aberdeen is the oil capital of Europe. I know that if i was to put myself on some survival courses i'd most likely be able to find myself working in that industry and earn a nice bit of money doing so. The main problem is working out how i fund the courses.

Thanks again. Any other tips and feedback is always appreciated.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Brag. Plain and simple. When I was hiring people with my last company, if I saw a conservative CV/Resume, I would pretty much skip it. They may have the skills to take on the job, but if they don't tell me and they don't show some confidence in their work, I wasn't going to spend time and money bringing them in for an interview to try and figure them out in person. If you have any skill, no matter how small or obvious it might seem, list it. You'd be surprised how many people don't know how to use an email client, or a web browser, but work in the tech industry.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

poly wrote:
You'd be surprised how many people don't know how to use an email client, or a web browser, but work in the tech industry.

lol tell me about it, i am returning back to study and i am working through the communication units working through office. boring stuff but required. But after years of tech support i find that 90% of people are not willing to learn because people like us know it all. If people were not so lazy and picked up a book for once they mite get somewhere.

I love visiting my local computer shop and hear the story's of customers working with tech people, it can all ways make you laugh hearing from the outside view.

But as for finding a job, i been working muscle money work now due to anything half good you need 5 certificates just for them to take a interest at you. Here in Aus getting jobs is getting *peach* stupid really. i have used 10 different versions of CV's and still *plum* luck even with 8 years doing tech support. 4 officially, but it is all about going to uni and getting a degree before you get anything worth the time.

i can build and break computers like no tomorrow but can't find anyone to take me on so need to go back to tafe and take the tests and jump a few levels so i can say hey *peach* i am smarter then you so let me show you how it is done.

Sure i am not the only one here that could say it but yea being a smart ass is just not enough these days.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since leaving this post i've been thinking alot of effectively cancelling my planned vacation to Sweden this year to cover the costs for some courses which would almost certainly guarantee some work offshore. These jobs tend to be quite rewarding financially and with doing this i'd be in a position to explore some other areas over the next few years.

Zealous, sometimes it's not a bad idea to get your foot in the door by means of applying for another job that you feel you may be seen as an ideal candidate. Getting your foot in the door effectively puts you in a great position to demonstrate your skills and knowledge so when a vacancy does become available you could potentially be in a good position to get it.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Since leaving this post i've been thinking alot of effectively cancelling my planned vacation to Sweden this year to cover the costs for some courses which would almost certainly guarantee some work offshore. These jobs tend to be quite rewarding financially and with doing this i'd be in a position to explore some other areas over the next few years.

Zealous, sometimes it's not a bad idea to get your foot in the door by means of applying for another job that you feel you may be seen as an ideal candidate. Getting your foot in the door effectively puts you in a great position to demonstrate your skills and knowledge so when a vacancy does become available you could potentially be in a good position to get it.

Dude there is nothing wrong with getting more certificates for better pay, if your able to move up in the world. hold ya nose and give it a go.

As for the job part, i need some papers first and few more weeks till official enrollments.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't looked for a job in I can't recall how long but I have seen some great looking resume templates here: http://graphicriver.net/search?term=res ... ry/resumes

I was looking for something a little different to help my niece stand out from the crowd and they have some really great ones.

Good luck! I envy you being your age and the world at your feet! Make the most of it and I agree, go after something that will stimulate you forward :D
  • Gooseman
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gooseman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Count me in...I also want to get a job starting from October. I want to work as a copywriter.
  • Mistletoe
  • Mistletoe

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know... I have the similar problem, I'm 22 and I still studying, but I work too, and what I do now, i just gather different puzzles of experience and I still don't know which picture I will be able to create of these puzzles.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jobs are like girlfriends. All you need to do is be able to get 'em done, and not do anything to suggest you're going to haul ass and leave them hanging.

I would say the biggest red flag employers for traditional jobs are are going to have with you, SB, is how much you seem to move around. You do appear to have a lot of experience moving about the world though, which could make you a candidate for a company needing a representative abroad.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The kind of work i am looking for opens me up to an international market which could mean that for logistical reasons i may end up moving to anywhere in the world.

Like (i think) i said previously, i am in a privileged position right now where i literally can go anywhere i want to go as i have no major ties here. Obviously my family is here, but i've lived away from them before and i don't really speak to my family as much as normal families do. Everyone seems to have their own little lives going on, so it's about time i started to do things that i want to do... and make a substantial amount of money in the process. In fact, the only person i would have stayed here for in my family sadly passed away a week and a half ago.

I've just today finished an important course and recieved a semi-promising email from a potential employer. I am quite literally ready to declare myself available to move to any part of the world (Afghanistan, Iraq, and other dangerous countries included) should they require me to.

Fingers crossed things go well.
  • sergeyL
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sergeyL

Post 3+ Months Ago

to get the job you want is the best way to do it to be self-confident and be sure in your skiils even if your cv is not so perfect and strong as during the interview your boss should see and understand that you are the person they nedd and you are to show it and to convince him in it.
  • ryanlb
  • Loc: Victoria, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

To reiterate what some others have said, being self-employed can be greatly rewarding - lots more control over your own life. You'll deal with your clients directly, set your own schedule, and of course reap all of the financial rewards of your hard work... Definitely recommend it, if you can pull it off!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ryanlb wrote:
To reiterate what some others have said, being self-employed can be greatly rewarding - lots more control over your own life. You'll deal with your clients directly, set your own schedule, and of course reap all of the financial rewards of your hard work... Definitely recommend it, if you can pull it off!

Great first post. Welcome to the site.

I assume you have reaped the rewards of having a business yourself?

Starting a business really excites me. The idea of creating something and being responsible for it's growth appeals to me substantially. I'd be willing to work 18 hours a day to make it work if need be. I enjoy reading inspirational posts like yours ryanlb.
  • ryanlb
  • Loc: Victoria, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I founded my marketing business almost a decade ago and have never looked back... Don't get me wrong, there are tough times and long days, but in the end it's definitely worth it to be your own boss and know that this company you see rising up was built by you.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ryanlb wrote:
and know that this company you see rising up was built by you.

That would be my biggest motivator. Money is a bonus, but the knowledge that i'd created something from scratch that was successful makes me smirk with excitement more than anything else.
  • kemcar031
  • kemcar031

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having a business of your own is really very exciting. But yes like ryanlb said there were ups and downs but you have to be patient. What I feel about business is that before starting a business of your own you must be sure that the business has demand, as lack of this might kill your business and your time and money along with it. So be very sure before starting things.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I havent been on Ozzu for a while (ok-ok, a looong while :D), but I couldnt pass up this thread.

I am 24, and recently moved from Amarillo, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska (about 4000 miles, both in the USA) for a new job with huge opportunities. The only advice or encouragement I have is that it is WORTH it.

I was very unhappy in my first job out of college (working for government, ug), and at one point was applying for 5-10 jobs a night. I got hundreds of rejection letters, and spent months sifting through websites, searches etc. I finally had a recruiter contact me, fly me out for an interview and ended up getting the job. it only takes one!

All the persitence, hard work (in and out of school), resume refining, job searching etc. will all pay off with only ONE good job offer. Many people get dicouraged and worn out after a few weeks of searching or late night classes and forget this simple little fact: You only need that one perfect offer, and all the hard work will have been well worth it.

As a young man who recently found an incredible opportunity, the only advice I can share is persistance, and wish you luck! :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smokenjoe wrote:
I havent been on Ozzu for a while (ok-ok, a looong while :D), but I couldnt pass up this thread.

I am 24, and recently moved from Amarillo, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska (about 4000 miles, both in the USA) for a new job with huge opportunities. The only advice or encouragement I have is that it is WORTH it.

I was very unhappy in my first job out of college (working for government, ug), and at one point was applying for 5-10 jobs a night. I got hundreds of rejection letters, and spent months sifting through websites, searches etc. I finally had a recruiter contact me, fly me out for an interview and ended up getting the job. it only takes one!

All the persitence, hard work (in and out of school), resume refining, job searching etc. will all pay off with only ONE good job offer. Many people get dicouraged and worn out after a few weeks of searching or late night classes and forget this simple little fact: You only need that one perfect offer, and all the hard work will have been well worth it.

As a young man who recently found an incredible opportunity, the only advice I can share is persistance, and wish you luck! :)

Well said! Nice to see you back!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great advice, and whilst my story hasn't had the same happy ending as yours i believe every word of it.

I've been actively looking for work since late July when i did that course. I admittedly have been a bit dejected at either not hearing about jobs or finding out that they have been filled without being told. It's incredibly frustrating. I have accepted that i don't think anything will happen at this side of Christmas due to the level of work i am trying to get.

With that said, i am pinning my hopes on a different route i am now looking at taking to get work. One that will help my long term career. Fingers crossed it pays off.

Great to see so much good advice here.
  • kemcar031
  • kemcar031

Post 3+ Months Ago

Optimism is all you need. None of us reaches their goal in one go, I agree it does happen at times but it is one of those lucky times and most of the time we have to wait and be patient. But this wait is worth it, so don't worry things will fall into place only when they have to.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts