Getting to know you: Carnix

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Carnix! I see you're only a few hours down the road from me, but we'll get to that in a bit. ;)

You were nominated as a victim by several users, which was actually not needed, as you were already on my list. So, let's get to the interiga...questions.

1. Maybe it's obvious, but I have no idea. What in the world is your avatar supposed to be?

2. Tell us about Hotlanta(Atlanta).

3. So, do you have a favorite in the race for President? LOL. Seriously, you seem to have very strong political opinions. Tell us how your philosophies evolved (*note to others: There are plenty of threads for debate. This is NOT one of those)

4. Tell us about your favorite meal/food.

5. I'm sure it's been stated in other threads, but how old are you?

6. What were your favorite cartoons as a kid, and then as an adult?

7. You are a regular poster in the Scripting forum. Take a moment and tell us about the languages you use and how you developed your skills.

8. Tell us about something that is dear to you.

9. If you could meet and hang out with anyone you wanted, who would it be?

10. Who is your hero?

Please feel free to add your questions for Carnix to my list.
Just remember, this thread belongs to Carnix. Violators will have a voodoo curse placed upon them.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
Just remember, this thread belongs to Carnix. Violators will have a voodoo curse placed upon them.

I can't help but think he's hinting at something...
*cough* getting to know jess *cough* :D
But back on topic...

If you could have any super power, what would it be and why?
  • Felix_net
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you had only one year to live, what activity/purpose would you pursue?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good questions guys!
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Loc: Brizzle

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you had to hack off one limb, what would it be, and with what weapon?
  • monoheinz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

(In the line of weird questions:)
Do you have a reoccurring dream or nightmare, and if so, what is it about?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mr. Wiggles wrote:

:eek6:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you could buy any one thing for $1 & never buy anything again, what would you buy ?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
If you could buy any one thing for $1 & never buy anything again, what would you buy ?

Carnix: You better say, "Two chicks at the same time"! :lol: j/k
  • Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would you rather live forever or die right now?
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who _are_ you?! :shock:
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess Carnix has been busy. Looks like his most recent post was 3 days ago. So, bump goes the thread. Hope he comes back to us soon.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats a shame. I was looking forward to knowing more about him.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where is Carnix?!
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hooooboy...
First off, sorry it's taken me so long. I've been away on yet another adventure, this time only up to DC... no rebels with guns this time, luckily.

heh, not yet anyway!

So, without further ado:

1. Maybe it's obvious, but I have no idea. What in the world is your avatar supposed to be?

My avatar is actually a photo of me. Seriously. :twisted:
I mean.. there is a *TEENY TINY* bit of Photoshop tweeking... But otherwise, it's just a plain old photo of me.

2. Tell us about Hotlanta(Atlanta).

Hmm. What to tell. It's not like where I grew up, that's for sure. I grew up in Seattle. Actually, for those familiar with the area, I really grew up in Kitsap country in a place called Silverdale. To be honest, I like the Northwest better, but now that my parents have retired and left Washington, I don't see me going back there ever except for a visit now and then. I live in town in an area called Grant Park, I own my own my house, such as one does in the day of the mortgage anyway. I have a wife, a dog, a cat and a daughter on the way (due in February).

3. So, do you have a favorite in the race for President? LOL. Seriously, you seem to have very strong political opinions. Tell us how your philosophies evolved (*note to others: There are plenty of threads for debate. This is NOT one of those)

Oi. That's a loaded question! Yes, I do have a favorite in the presidental race and anyone interested can look up my post history and very easily figure it out. My political philosophy is based around two override principles. The Golden Rule and the Tragedy of the Commons. For those that aren't familiar, those are (respectively) "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and (this is a HUGE paraphrase on a very complicated subject...) "Individuals tend toward maximizing their personal utility of any resource, and when the resource is a public good, they will desire to use it at the expense of those who are paying for it"

So, #1, most people get, everyone knows the idea. Don't kill someone unless you wouldn't mind them killing you, don't throw poop on someone unless you want them to... wait... bad example!.

#2 is more complicated. A good example is a public park. Public parks are paid for with tax dollars and are open for everyone's use. Some people, however, don't want to pay taxes, but yet will complain if the park across the street from their house is not kept up by the city due to lack of funds. You can think of it as Want-your-Cake-and-Eat-it-Too.

In general, the political right tends to violate one or both (depending) of my rules. They either want to infringe upon my freedom of choice (rule #1... Because I would let others live as they choose, given the simple guidelines of this rule, I would expect my government to allow me the freedom to choose how I would live) or they would violate the tragedy of the commons by transfering resources once controlled by a public interest (and funded by taxes) to private interests (and funded by memberships that are not necessarily in the public interest).

There are a few republicans that I have supported over the years, and a few democrates I have denounced... NONE have ever been perfect, no person can be perfect all the time, the real politik won't allow it, but if you look at the trends, in general, the political left generally upholds my two principle standards to a much greater degree than the political right.

4. Tell us about your favorite meal/food.

Shrimp Feta, the way my wife makes it...
Or. Mac and Cheese the way I make.
OR. ANYTHING Carver's Grocery happens to be serving (if you live in Atlanta and have never been to Carver's...Oi.. you're missing out! Best southern food in Atlanta.)

5. I'm sure it's been stated in other threads, but how old are you?
I am 29 (as of Friday, Oct. 15th). Happy Birthday to meeee!!
:new-bday:

6. What were your favorite cartoons as a kid, and then as an adult?
Kid: Scooby Doo.
Adult: Scooby Doo. =] not the new ones.. only the oldies. Scrappy needs to die.

7. You are a regular poster in the Scripting forum. Take a moment and tell us about the languages you use and how you developed your skills.

Let see. The languages I use on a regular basis: Perl, PHP, JavaScript, ASP(VBScript). I done ColdFusion, but try not to as best I can. I didn't start out to be a tech guy. I got in some trouble when I was in high school before there was really a thing called The Internet (you could dial C to C and use BBSes, but Mosaic hadn't been invented yet) and as a consequence my family wasn't allowed to have a modem on our computer and my father pretty well stopped me from doing much more than writting papers on the system. As a result, when I went to college, I wasn't well versed in current computer technology. Plus, I wanted to save the world, like all 18 year old GenXers did... So I started studying Environment Science and Economics.

My sophomore year, I got a job teaching a class for the university. Basically, it was a 2-credit learning through technology seminar for Freshman. The final project was supposed to be a website, and I didn't even know what HTML was at that point. It only took me a couple weeks to learn it, and I moved on to JavaScript. By the end of that year, after two semesters, I started doing tech support for the program and learning ASP while helping develop online courseware for the university's CS department. By the end of my 5 years in at WSU, I had ASP and JavaScript down pat (along with the requisit systems and db admin skills) and had done an internship at Hanford Nuclear Reservation that cleared up any doubt I had about actually persuing a career doing Environmental work (again, that's another story).

My next stop was a crappy software company in Poulsbo WA. Crap pay, LONG hours.. But I learned PHP and Perl and the various requesit systems and databases that would go along with those (Unix, Linux and MySQL in this case). A guy I shared an office with while teaching at WSU offered me a nice job in Atlanta doing ASP and GUI design, so I came here to hotlanta, got laid off after 8 months , was unemployed for a few months, mooching on my girlfriend (who is now my wife) and got a job at CARE where I've been for a few years now doing a bizarre bastardization of ASP and Perl and JSP and JavaScript that I can only describe as "very interesting..."

8. Tell us about something that is dear to you.
My family. As I mentioned, I'm having a daughter in february.

I don't know how many of you out in Ozzu-land have had kids, but let me tell you... as a man, anyway (can't speak for the women... they're very much aware of the little larva crawling around inside them, but the man really only seen his mate's belly pooching out a bit in the first 20 weeks or so), the ultrasound was a pennicle moment in my life... seeing my daughter, more or less for the first time, really changed, or reinforced, a lot about my way of looking at the world. Suddenly, things I held as very important were no longer important at all, and things I didn't consider that important became instantly some of the most important things I could imagine.

Those of you who have had childern will undoubtedly understand, though who haven't yet had the experience... well... you'll understand when the time comes.

9. If you could meet and hang out with anyone you wanted, who would it be?

Living: Jimmy Carter. I've heard him speak a number of times, and have had the opportunity to shake his hand once (The Carter Foundation and CARE have done some events together in Atlanta), but never to sit and chat with the man. While he probably wasn't the best president, he's a genuine humanitarian and wonderful man, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for him.

Dead: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I know, it's a cliche answer... But it's the only one I've got.

10. Who is your hero?
This is a tough one for me... I guess I'll have to give another cliche anwser and say my dad. We didn't get along very well when I was growing up. My parents both worked and I was an only child, so I would fix my own breakfast, and my parents wouldn't get home until after 5 or 6pm so I carried a key (so-called latch-key kid, I guess). I never really understood where he got off telling me what to do when I would only see him for a could hours a day... but he told me once, when I was still young and in awe of him, that (speaking in time), "right now, I'm smart, but as you get older, I'm going to start getting dumber. But at some point in time, I'll start to get smarter again."

He was right. =]
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
If you could have any super power, what would it be and why?

I would want to be able to communicate with anyone... That is, be able to speak every language... or maybe it's when I speak, everyone hears what I say in their language and when they speak I hear it in mine.

language is one of the critical points of differentiation between cultures and sub-cultures. Being able to bridge that gap without fail would be a truely amazing thing.

.c
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Felix_net wrote:
If you had only one year to live, what activity/purpose would you pursue?

gadzooks...

I bet everyone, at this point, is expecting me to say something like solve world poverty or end war or something.. heh.

Naw.

I would do two things. One, I would want to see Space.. see Earth from orbit... At the same time, I would move with a single minded dedication to ensure that my wife and child will be taken care of once I'm gone.

.c
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mr. Wiggles wrote:

morbid.

I would hack off that Pecan tree limb that's haning over my front porch. The damn thing dumps leaves all over my roof in the fall clogging my gutters and drops nuts in the summer... It's INFURIATING.

I'd use a saw... maybe a flaming one... dripping with acid... boiling acid.

.c
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

monoheinz wrote:
(In the line of weird questions:)
Do you have a reoccurring dream or nightmare, and if so, what is it about?

I don't mean to be mysterious or vauge... but I didn't want to make you feel left out either, but I'd rather not talk about this one.

.c
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:

Happiness? =]

I assume that life requirements magically appear in my pantry...

Although, my wife and I have contemplated moving to the hills of France and living a subsistance life... I guess if we did that, I'd buy a goat? =]

you said buy... can I still barter?

.c

Edit:

Of course my REAL answer is two chicks at the same time. Duuuuhhh!!!
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moses08 wrote:
Would you rather live forever or die right now?

good question. not as simple as it sounds, and one I've actually thought about a few times.

I'd rather live forever.

.c
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

psyc0w wrote:
Who _are_ you?! :shock:

eh?

I _am_ me! 8)

.c
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Carnix!! Great to see you, we missed you around here! Great answers and I am pleased to get to know you :D. Nice to know that their is a person behind the posts!
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay I have a question: When will be the release of the Carnix 1.0 operating system?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sam Hughes wrote:
Okay I have a question: When will be the release of the Carnix 1.0 operating system?

Wait for it.... wait.... and.... now.

It's a real light OS. It's designed to look like whatever OS you happen to be using at the time. In fact, you're probably already using it right now! Unless you're having any problems, or security issues... then you're definitely not.

.c
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

:o

So then, why did you decide to make the entire operating system a Forth-based interface?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well... you know. Way back in high school math class, I spent most of my time writting silly programs in my old TI calculator, and got pretty used to the postfix style notations it used. But, remember... CarnixOS is designed to look like whatever you THINK your OS is. It's really written in a proprietary language called CarnixScript that is unlike anything you've ever seen... It's so complicated that I could never explain it to anyone. ever. =]

And if I tried, your head would explode into a million peices. A Billion Even!
.c
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
My avatar is actually a photo of me. Seriously.
I mean.. there is a *TEENY TINY* bit of Photoshop tweeking... But otherwise, it's just a plain old photo of me.

I would like to restore your picture...of course with your permission... and post it in the thread...would you mind????
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go for it. That was a photo taken of me in, I think, 1996 or 97 before a backpacking trip down the Washington portion of the PCT (Pacific Coast Trail). Fun trip as I recall =]

I should note, other than the obvious filtering, I airbushed in the black pupals and horns. I don't remember doing any other airbushing though, I just was messing with levels mostly and modes mostly. Nothing too crazy, I'm not really that much of an expert in Photoshop.

.c
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kewl,
I'll "getter-done"

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts