Getting to know you: dM

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know the routine digitalMedia, so I won't bother to repost the questions. You know them already since you created them. You're in the hot seat this week, per my request.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

*snickers ominously*
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I'll get mine over with now. :roll: The people I had picked out were waaaay more interesting than me, but ooookeeeeey... :P

1. Tell us about your employment situation or area of study in school.

I work for a small software/IT services company. My title is Media Director, but it doesn't mean anyting. On the software side, I do everything from product branding to UI design and marketing, on the services side I do front end design and deployment for web-apps , websites, micro-sites, etc.

2. Tell us about your education (formal or otherwise).

I have a degree in Engineering Graphics. It's a real snoozer, let me tell you. While I was getting that, however, I discovered 3D software. oooooo shiny.

So, I got a degree in Computer Art and Animation. My wife didn't want to leave SC, and I got stuck doing web pages. :) But, turns out I didn't suck at it so, I've spent the last 7 or so years becoming as proficient as I can be with the tools of my trade.

3. What's your favorite meal or restaurant?

There's a particular sushi place I like. I always get the same thing: Tuna, Salmon, Spider Roll and California Roll. I like to cook, also.

4. Age (if you dare or care to answer)?

dob 12-20-68

5. What, if any, are your plans for your future?

I'm hoping that I can finish all my answers before I fall asleep. It's been a long day of XML and actionscript for me. :shock:

Beyond that, I literally have no idea.

6. Tell us about where you live.

South Carolina. I love to hate it, sometimes. It's not actually the first place I would have chosen to live. But, my wife's family is here. My family is down the road about 90 miles. That's good for the kids, so, we stay. All I can say is, thank goodness for the interweb.

7. What/When/How/Why did you become a webmaster, or why do you want to become a webmaster?

I don't really consider myself to be a 'webmaster', technically. If I ever get my own site up it'll be a miracle. However, I did address this in question #2. I got out of school, i wanted to do more 3D and learn video production, I got stuck doing web pages at an ISP.

8. Tell us about your first kiss.

I was a goofy 14 year old. Her name was Nancy. I initiated nothing. In fact, I don't think I realized what happened till several moments later, at which point I decided this was clearly a good thing and that I'd be persuing it more.

9. Tell us about your best quality (real or imagined).

I teach classes, extremely part-time, at my local tech college. My students tell me I'm very patient. Personally, I think my best quality, or maybe my most useful quality, is persistence.

10. Who is your hero?

Napoleon, Eddie Van Halen, Troy Aikman, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Mom, Dad, Grandparents, The Beatles, Guy Ritchie, Sean Connery, anyone who's been shot into space, it goes on and on...(no particular order)

There now. That didn't hurt a bit. :)

***Sorry my answers were so lite. I was completely exhausted last night when I did these. So anyway, to compensate I'm including some bonus material...

I'm the adult male. I have no idea who those other people are. ;)

One of my 3 dogs, Rocky. (my photo)

One of my 3D animations, featuring me playing the guitar. Sorry about the format.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who is the guy behind you in the pic then?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, now that's a pretty trick rundown. What a great looking family, dM! I'm just taking a stab at it, but I'd have to say the guitar you are playing in the clip is a Strat? At least it sounded like it. It almost sounded like it was being played through a tube amp. Believe it or not, I still have an old Kustom 100 piggy back (complete with that cool black pleated cushion exterior) that I bought in '69 used (when you were only one year old). I'm just sitting here laughing that the amp I'm still using is older than you are! *grins (It was a '65 model).

Hey, though, all kidding aside, I enjoyed the animation. Very talented you are, indeed!
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ha! I'm afraid your way off on this one. It's the cheapest Ibanez you can buy, and it's being played through a cheesy little crate amp with only the amp's horrible distortion effect.
It was recorded with a $19.95 JVC omni directional mic which was plugged into my Dell Latitude laptop.
:)

I love playing around with audio on the computer.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really? not bad for the cheap stuff. I sorta liked the sound. Funny I didn't get it right. I have an Ibanez, too. It didn't sound like mine *wink (but mine's a custom and it weren't cheap). Here's my setup :
http://atnopro.com/pictures/axe0001.jpg
(forgive the resolution -- I took it in low light with a low res camcorder)
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

OoO, my bass is an Ibanez, I like it quite a bit. Lol, I haven't played it in over a year, but I still think it's a nice bass... :roll:

Aren't we supposed to be putting two people in the "hot seat" per week? I think that Axe should be next. :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like a plan Geekette. In the meantime maybe you, me and dM should get together and find a drummer and a keyboardist and speand our Friday nights doing covers at some local dives, dreaming about how we'll all be rich someday! Wasn't that how the Beatles did it? Well, I guess it did help that they were all from the same town. *lol
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, good stuff DM. I really like your hero's, they are very similar to mine (especially Napoleon).
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Napoleon... All I can imagine is Arnold "dM" ;) Rimmer down on the beach in the one episode of Red Dwarf... "Better Than life" maybe?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok Geekette, let's put Axe in the hot seat. I'll start the thread.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nego wrote:
Hmmm, good stuff DM. I really like your hero's, they are very similar to mine (especially Napoleon).

Yeah, I think you'd have to consider Napoleon as one of the top 5 most influential people in western history.

Axe wrote:
Napoleon... All I can imagine is Arnold "dM" ;) Rimmer down on the beach in the one episode of Red Dwarf... "Better Than life" maybe?

heh!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
Ok Geekette, let's put Axe in the hot seat. I'll start the thread.

That's why you chose me, it was the Rimmer joke wasn't it? ;)

Edit : OOOOH I just noticed, it was GEEKETTE'S FAULT!!! ;)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

great pic of the family dM! talented man you are indeed! :D
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

awwww shucks. :oops: Thx.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice job with the 3d amination what software u use?

Quote:
teach classes, extremely part-time, at my local tech college. My students tell me I'm very patient

nice job indeed....
i dont have any patience, but my dad has loads lol, put it this way, if my brother asks me the same question 2-3x I flip because he is
1) either trying to annoy me (he is good at it)
2)I have had a bad day

*//when I say flip, I mean get annoyed and angry :P
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use 3D Studio MAX. Thanks for the compliment. One day I hope to do a serious production.
:)

My kids are 4 and 1, I think patience in fathers is quite a learned thing. Like, learn patience or be slowly driven insane. hahaha.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts