GOOD NEWS! (for me at least, heh)

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, it's all done and sorted...

I mentioned it in another thread, but now the deal's been done..

ReptileRooms.com (me, heh) is now a sponsor of the Jacksonville, Tallahassee & New Orleans Reptile Expos :D

So, this will mean much more exposure for my site (being advertised on all his promotional material - flyers, T-Shirts, ads in "Reptiles Magazine", etc), and get my name out there more, also I get a free table at each of the shows to promote the site more.

ReptileRooms.com is already averaging over 6,000 page views per day, which isn't too bad (it leaped by a coupla thousand a day after GeckoIsland.com was merged into ReptileRooms.com last month).

I've been working on ReptileRooms.com since April '02, and now things really seem to be going strong - especially considering it's basically an informational non-profit site.

So, anyways, I just wanted to show off n' tell somebodies, hehe.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent Man!!!

Your the Lizard King. Wait, no, that was Jim Morrison.

8>
  • RyTRiX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congrats, you're site is going to get big!
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

congratulations sir! Very good news.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent! That's always exciting news. Thanks for letting us know.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

whoohoo!! *claps loudly* Good job, glad to see all this good luck on this board!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congratulations John! That's fantastic news, I just know you will make your new sponsorship venture a complete success! :D
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh I hope so...

First job is making sure his website gets up to scratch...

Nothing in the <title> tags and done in Micro$oft Publisher or somethin, so all his pages are huge images of text (so Google can't understand a byte of it), as well as many many other things that can be done to improve his exposure...

So, there's a long road ahead to get that all fixed, but it's all going to be worth it. A better quality site that's easy to find is going to mean more exposure for him and, in turn, more exposure for me.

Thanks everybody for your good wishes. Hopefully this will mean good things (the exposure, plus making some new good contacts in the industry). Unfortunately, the shows are too much of a drive for me right now to be able to actually attend, but I hope to start attending at least the Jacksonville shows in the future (the next one's at the end of this month, so a bit too short-notice to organize a ride). I know a few other people in this area who vend at reptile shows (selling animals, cages, supplies, etc.) so I should be able to hitch a ride with one of 'em if they're going to be at those shows.
  • thevirus
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • thevirus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would just have to say WOW 6,000 page views is enormouse. On my previouse website I only had about 100 a day if I was lucky but it still made me some pocket change. Congradulations
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, it's taken a while to get 6,000 page views a day..

The acquisition of GeckoIsland.com has certainly helped (that site was receiving about 1500-2500 page views per day). The previous owner, Silas, is a friend of mine. Silas has been running Gecko Island in one form or another for about 5 years now and has decided to move onto other projects. He didn't want to see the site's community or the content just die, so he passed on the reigns to me, and for that I will be forever thankful.

We also have some VERY unique articles on the site that simply aren't available anywhere else (most notably research on medical problems in Bearded Dragons such as Adenovirus & Yellow Fungus Disease - the latter being something we've been the sole researchers of for the last 2 years until researchers at the University of Wisconsin took over our studies recently. It was thanks to our work that these researchers recently won a US$60,000 grant to continue the work). And, thanks to our work, hundreds of bearded dragons in the US are now NOT needlessly dying simply because the information to prevent & cure the problem didn't exist before.

That, and a few tricks to modify PostNuke to be more search engine friendly means that Google knows of about 3500 pages on my site now (although this varies from day-to-day between about 3100 and 3600 results), and ReptileRooms.com is coming up in many reptile related, and species specific, searches.

It's taken a LOT of work to get it to the stage it's at now, and the number page views are doubling about every 2-3 months. For the longest time I was only getting 100-200 page views per day too (if I was lucky) and there's still so much I want to add to the site. I've got 60 care sheets & articles sat here waiting to go on the site, bt I'm having to put them up in chunks of 3-5 at a time to make sure they all get some fair exposure on the front page of the site before being only available through searching the knowledgebase.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts