Goodbye Gordon Brown?

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, i am in complete and utter disbelieve at the moment. I've just logged onto the BBC website and discovered that one of Labours safest seats in the parliament has been taken by the pro Scottish independance party the Scottish National Party.

Labour is party that governs the UK Parliament, in Scotland we have our own parliament however alot of the laws and say so goes down to the Wesminister parliament in London. The Scottish National Party have in many ways impressed me in the year or so they've been in charge of affairs in Scotland, and just last night they clinched a seat in Glasgow which was supposed to be one of Labours strongest seats.

I don't have time to get into this more, but the news has just stunned me and will have the UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown panicking today. Alot of the newspapers had mentioned that if Labour lost this seat then Gordon Brown would have very little choice but to stand down as the UK Prime Minister.

Wow. I'm just stunned, and also very very happy.

BBC
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should add, since i found out this fact after posting this, but Labour have held that seat in Glasgow for 50 years. So, quite a big surprise for them.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

What does that mean to the average citizen ?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Initially probably not alot. What this has shown is that people have lost the trust of the Labour government.

The Glasgow seat isn't actually the first they've lost recently, there has been a few by-elections of late and Labour have failed to win any. The more seats they lose in the parliament the weaker they will be when it comes to the next general election. So, in the long run and as far as things are concerned there is a lot of pressure on the current Prime Minister Gordon Brown to step down, infact today one of the unions that has supported him of late has made it known that there needs to be a new man in charge now.

I honestly don't know how much politics differ from the UK and the US so alot of the stuff i'm typing here probably won't make alot of sense. If that is the case then i'll do my best to explain it a bit further if you wish.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just heard a report about this on NPR. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

From what I understand, that area has been hit by a tough economy, lately. Is that where you live?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think everywhere in the UK is going through a pretty tough stage right now. There is talk of a recession at the moment, so things are pretty tough.

I live about 170 miles away from there.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts