Google answers news publishers: Use the tools you have!

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

You've probably heard of the commotion the news industry is stirring up these days with Google. Publishers are pushing for a change to the fundamentals of the web. They want to prevent users from sharing, duplicating, or linking their copyrighted content. So why does Google care? Their results pages would fall under restriction if publishers were to get their way. Yesterday, they fired back.

Read about it here: Google Public Policy Blog
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good for Google. I really like the "here's how you can control your content and remove it from search indexes" idea. I'm impressed that Google said it doesn't care if newspapers are having a hard time making money especially since its not really Google's problem.

I love industries that feel entitled to making boatloads of money. In a capitalist economy the company with products that consumers want/need will be the ones to make the money. Yet it seems that so many companies/industries (from newspapers to General Motors to Microsoft) are having a hard time understanding that lack of revenue frequently relates directly to people not wanting the product or service.

My theory is that any industry/company should be allowed to fail. If there really is a need or desire for products/services someone will find a way to produce it. After all human civilization has been based on that premise for a really long time.
  • bradcapo1
  • Born
  • Born
  • bradcapo1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers and we look forward to your Forum Favourites selections!

taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la rise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with graohixboy. This actually came up a while ago (not here (probably) but this sounds familiar), but anyway... if a business is failing, it most likely means that the business needs to change something... most of the time, the thing they need to change is the product they are putting for market.

I find it funny how a business fails and then blames another business for their failure... that is stupid (yet funny :lol: ).

Newspapers aren't doing good... is that what it is saying? Maybe I'm not feeling or seeing the decline in newspaper usage, but if it is and it's blaming Search Engines for it... really? What about the ability for them to stop search engines from indexing their site? What about Search Engines? So, the search engines some how make a business fail?

I don't really understand that google policy post I guess... does it say that Newspapers are failing and are blaming search engines for it? Or does it simply state that newspaper's developers don't use the htaccess thing and allow search engines crawl their site and index their content, and then they get mad at search engines for having indexed their content?

I guess I went on a rant here... I'll stop.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts